Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2014....

My wife and myself being the rodholders we didn't leave feeling skunked but more determined to try again. If did catch the big one you would of been the hero last night. We have your # now and will be back next year to try again. Thank you Dave for a great evening on the water.

Nothing new to report as it was another fishless tour around the pool for everyone tonight.

Top of the flood and start of the ebb were well covered by the usual gang but with no fish to speak of no fish were caught.

We're all hoping the apparently massive numbers of sockeye holding our fish back will move more towards the Fraser should things cool down and a little skywater happen these next few days, but it's Nature and she'll do what she wants.

In the meantime, here's a pic showing my humble beginnings.

Nothing but a 10' 1964 Davidson rowboat, no engine and a dog for a guide.

Take care.

Nothing new to report as it was another fish less tour around the pool for everyone tonight.
Top of the flood and start of the ebb were well covered by the usual gang but with no fish to speak of no fish were caught.
Take care.

I was up fishing with one of my brothers and guided by Roy Grant Thur night and Roy managed to get me hooked up with a nice one on a plug which I had on for a short time when it was able to shake the hook so of course I am second guessing myself; was the drag set too heavy as it was pulling line rather slowly for a while and did I strike hard enough to really set the big heavy single hook. Kept the rod up and I am certain it got no slack line. Also saw one caught by a motor powered boat out of the row only pool. We also watched what we all thought was a Tyee come full length two thirds out of the water 50 feet to the side of us. You don't really see that down our way. Would have loved to have got my fish in the boat but I guess I need more luck and experience with such a different way of fishing.

I seem to have a hard time remembering to really slam it super super hard when you raise the Rod to set the hook, probably because I am so use to rigger fishing with the release clip in the hard position and line set right to the back so that just the act of pulling itself free of the release clip and faster boat speed and the use of smaller hooks sets the hook most times. May be one of those cases where lots of salmon fishing experience with another fishing method and muscle memory may actually work against me,not to mention a bad back that does not let me move that fast. Mine may well be the only row boat salmon that was actually hooked up Thur. night. Still it is nice to know they are there and for a short time it was exciting and always a great experience.

Good luck to you and all the row boat guides/rowers, it is an amazing fishery and you should all be proud of what you have accomplished in making it such a success. If catching them was easy it would not have the value or hold so much interest by so many. It goes a long way to supporting CR's claim as salmon capital. By the end of the season you must all be in good shape, that's a lot of miles rowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
When they are there Roy can certainly make'em bite alright.

And with barbless hooks and all the possible ways they can come loose it's amazing anyone boats one sometimes.

I've been so desparate I've been dragging out old spoons and trying to polish them up.

Here's what I mean. Don't know how old this sucker is but an older friend gave it to me and she got it from an older friend many moons ago.
Your guess is as good as mine.

I also modified the two Nog's Needles to comply with Tyee Club rules and gave them a tow about but the difference in size and the type of fishing conspires against them being truly effective here. I gave them to a very accomplished angler, one Terry Malbon by name, and he's promised to give them a good go.
He also changed the hooks from what I'd put on, and I think I got one on backwards too, so I learned a bit from the old master in the process.
He also said he'd seen a bunch of them where they are being painted up etc.

Here's the difference in size.

And one does get in a bit better shape after a Tyee season rowing.

Look at me for example. I look like I'm barely over 68 and I'm actually 69. LOL

Take care.

I had the pleasure of spending two weeks in Campbell River this summer. Drove out to the spit to see the row boats on my early morning coffee run. Didn't have the chance to go out for a row...but definitely won't be missed next time.

Based on the catch to date, I hope the fish are just late in arriving due to warm and dry weather.

I guess we'll find out what the returns are at the hatchery in the coming weeks.

Fingers crossed...

This is way overdue, but since my trip to fish with Dave I have mostly been spending my spare time in ice cold hockey arenas envying those of you out fishing! Here is a video clip of Mike Kauertz rowing his way in from the pool and weighing in his Tyee he caught solo on August 21. I hope this rain brings some more fish into the pool for you Dave, so we can see your smiling face next to the scale!

http://www.youfish.tv/tyee-club_d430e6b2e.html

Tyee Club.jpg

http://www.youfish.tv

Nice little vid Brian.

Thanks for that.

Notice the ravages of the sea-lice on that one?

Anyway, still no new fish but every tide is being well scrutinized so if and when any arrive we should know.

All the best and....

Take care.

Dads29.jpg

Not sure this picture will work. An unfortunately fuzzy picture of my Dad making his way up the beach to meet Bob at the scale on August 25th. Unfortunately the fish was 29lbs, and his recent quest to become a member will continue.

Aaaaargh!!

Heartbreaker for sure but a nice looking fish.

Take care.

While it's true that every new tide brings the hope of some fish, none of our recent tides seem to have actually done so.

It's been a week and a half since the last fish and naturally every conceivable scenario as to why they aren't here has been discussed thoroughly.

Growing tired of that conversation and idly paging through the large record of yearly catches that sits in the clubhouse I was compelled to look at the year I was born, 1945.

I almost wish I hadn't given the numbers from that year.

Here they are:

Total number of Tyee registered...........284

Average weight...................................40 1/2 lbs.

Over 60 lbs.........................................4

Over 50 lbs.........................................26

Largest Tyee........................................62 1/2 lbs.

Most by one rower................................26 by Cecil (Cougar) Smith.

Today, now, we have eight to date.

Sigh.

Take care.

Last edited:
Does Cecil need a rod holder..... :) LOL

Looks like he had it dialed in..... Is that 26 in one season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Cecil need a rod holder..... :) LOL

Looks like he had it dialed in..... Is that 26 in one season.

That was for just that season and wouldn't it have been great to hold the rod for someone like that back then?

He was pretty well known as a good and productive rower in his time, amongst other things.

Windy difficult night again tonite with nada I'm aware of.

Take care.

Has there been many undersize?

Not really.

I've heard of two the past three days but certainly no numbers of them to speak of.

Still dead but tides are improving a bit and the crew are out working the pool over right now on this flood.

Frustrating as can be I'll tell ya.

Take care.

How bad is the catching??

My pet snake had to resort to taking a Catfish for goodness sakes.

He much prefers salmon.

dmGB7Io.jpg

Roughly 600 or so Chinook in the lower Campbell now but nada in the Tyee Pool still.

Frustrating times.

Take care.

While it's true that every new tide brings the hope of some fish, none of our recent tides seem to have actually done so.

It's been a week and a half since the last fish and naturally every conceivable scenario as to why they aren't here has been discussed thoroughly.

Growing tired of that conversation and idly paging through the large record of yearly catches that sits in the clubhouse I was compelled to look at the year I was born, 1945.

I almost wish I hadn't given the numbers from that year.

Here they are:

Total number of Tyee registered...........284

Average weight...................................40 1/2 lbs.

Over 60 lbs.........................................4

Over 50 lbs.........................................26

Largest Tyee........................................62 1/2 lbs.

Most by one rower................................26 by Cecil (Cougar) Smith.

Today, now, we have eight to date.

Sigh.

Take care.

Ugh look at those numbers.sad. Average 40 LOL!

You can tell it's pretty bad here when this thread drops to page two due to my lack of enthusiasm for what remains of the season and I'm back to posting semi-scenic pics, stooping so low as to even post one with spots all over it.

Don't know how those spots got there but that's the full moon peeking up from behind Quadra Island last nite.

I rowed last nite for the first time in five days as I had promised to take out a friend of a friend from afar, so I did.

Wonderful time with a new soulmate friend found for sure.

Plus we saw a Humpback whale go blowing by pretty close to us.

Time's running out quickly now but with no fish showing and the best and most experienced rowers alive coming up empty it's clear we're screwed for this year.

C'est fishing, n'est ce pas?

Take care.

One of these days the bell shall ring out again.

Maybe.

Last nite found yours truly and third year apprentice rodholders Rob and Angela touring the pool, towing a couple of plugs just in case.

Halfway thru we noticed a boat from the south end heading resolutely towards the Clubhouse, as if they had a fish aboard.

We were a bit surprised as we had heard no cry of FISH ON!! nor noticed any boat outside the pool with an angler fighting a fish.

We were caught up in the ebb tide and I was rowing steadily even as we slowly slipped backwards, backtrolling towards the bar, when we saw one of the guys lift a dark fish from the boat and carry it to the scale. Watching closely it appeared to have made weight, judging from the audibles, and shortly thereafter we heard three good rings on the bell.

Turns out the angler was Bob Main, newest member of the Tyee Club, and he was rowed by Martin Buchanan, now a successful Rookie Rower as this was his first Tyee rowed.

Here's the happy couple with their catch.

9thTyee-2014-med.jpg

This morning I found out why we hadn't noticed it being caught as it was hooked way south of the pool beside the old Argonaut Wharf, (now Nystar) early in the evening before most people were out. They had missed one upon arriving there initially so stayed there and hooked their fish a bit later, almost at high tide.
Examining the fish it appears to be one that has ventured up into the estuary once or twice, using up energy and body mass in the process, before dropping out and down in the flood tide to where Bob and Martin hooked it. It was 42" long and in prime shape would have been a mid 30's fish weight-wise, were it not so mature.

Sadly, this is indicative that no new fish have shown up, but we'll be out again tonite, just in case.

Good going to Bob, who was too excited to ring the bell himself I'm told so directed Martin to do it, and to Martin too.

Apparently the plug was a recent gift to Bob from his brother, a commercial fisherman, and was given with the instructions to try it out as it had caught a lot of fish before, specially late in the season.

Magic plug or flukey coincidence??

Who knows??

That's fishing. LOL

Take care.

Thanks for the evening out there Dave, always a thrill to experience and keep the hopes alive ! Here's a selfie with the Skipper hard at work in the bow !

A fun mix of old-timers, wives, kids and dogs all waiting for the Big One...

Leading the pack to the south end

And Dave.... I've got that 2nd black 275b you are looking to matchup your custom Rich-Makes :)

Back