Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2014....

Well done,Dave.Thanks for sharing your adventures with us all here.Will tune in next year and hopefully yours will be one
of the lucky ones to ring that bell!

Thanks for the opportunity again this year Dave! No fish, no problem! A chance to hold a rod out there in anticipation of the big one is priceless, takes me back to my beginnings of fishing, holding a rod and waiting for the big one which was a 3 lb walleye at the time! Add that to being part of the history of the club going back so many years, its like being out there beside each one of the successful rod holders of the past. Appreciate your dedication and perseverance, sharp wit and sense of humour!! Enjoy your time off and the trout fishing Dave! Can't wait for next season.

I also have very much enjoyed this thread, thanks to all for keeping it updated and the awesome reports, agree , the anticipation of the big strike is very much what it's all about. I would be nice to get one of those Tyee pin's , but if fishing keeps heading in the direction it is that 30Lber will be few and far between.

I would also like to thank you dave for all your reports this thread was always the first one i clicked on when signing in to the site.
I fished the pool on aug 19th first and last light thru painters with my dad for the first time and have got the bug now. Such an
awesome experience and look forward to next year. Even though we werent able to get into a salmon the atmosphere around the
clubhouse and on the water was different than anything i have ever done. Also the people that run, work, and volunteer on this
fishery deserve a big thanks as well. Good times

Rule F

Hey Dave: Thanks for a wonderful read with lots of terrific pictures in your tales and adventures at the Tyee Pool. You were going to tell your suspenseful readers how Rule F came about.... you know, No shooting of fish allowed. Looking forward to your story on that one.

Ah yes, nearly forgot.

So Rule F[f] says: "shooting a fish" and is one of the things that will disqualify a fish from acceptance.

The rule goes back to the 1920's when one of the more colourful early members from Seattle named Bill Coleman made a bet with another fellow as to who could boat and weigh a Tyee the quickest after one was hooked.
Seems Bill had his rower head for the beach and into shallow water immediatley after they hooked a fish whereupon he pulled out a handgun and shot it before rushing it to the scale, thereby winning the bet.
Even back then this wasn't considered very sporting it seems, so at the next AGM the rule F[f] came in forbidding one to shoot a fish.
Didn't slow Bill down as in 1927 he was Tyee Man with Joe Painter on the oars.

Thanks again for all the kind words and all the best to all of you 'til we do this again next year.

Until then........

Take care.

Great Story on Rule F, and thanks very much Dave for sharing your stories over the season. I made 2 trips this summer to the CR area, did one great trip for Sockeye, but didn't get anywhere near the Tyee pool. Without even seeing it in person, it's definitely something that's now on my bucket list! Looking forward to next year's thread!

Never been behind the struggle sticks on the pools .Sat in the school bus seat a few times as a youth .Eager to try my luck one day again, soon as pinks arrive. 100_1053.jpg

I am curious how many people fish in non tyee type boats? I have a 14 foot lund and I would love to participate in this fishery however I am not sure it would be adequate, any advice would be welcome.

Looks like it was a poor year for Chinook returns in the Campbell River system...

http://www.courierislander.com/news/local/965-chinook-counted-in-campbell-river-swim-1.1429787
That was back in the middle of October during a year of very significant drought. Would the final numbers not be much better after enough rains had kicked up the river levels and motivated the springs to enter the system? I do not know enough about the CR system and its returns, but I hope the final return count was much better than a thousand fish :(

Thank you ,nice to have a painter for vintage plugs.have a 4 bead swivel to the (weak point)snap ring,bead swivel to large mustad hook ,hook seems to pull upright.Ready with 20# test and nick in the line with a slip weight ,and 45 pulls .I will try to forward the pic 2 TP for there use ,in appreciation.This spring I will take them some swivels and have them braze a ring between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you ,nice to have a painter for vintage plugs.have a 4 bead swivel to the (weak point)snap ring,bead swivel to large mustad hook ,hook seems to pull upright.Ready with 20# test and nick in the line with a slip weight ,and 45 pulls .I will try to forward the pic 2 TP for there use ,in appreciation.This spring I will take them some swivels and have them braze a ring between the two.

Is that a Tomic? It looks like A J-plug/Silver Horde plug. I guess it's a 7 incher?

A month away from the best row boat chinook fishery .Had the swivels made and test fished, workins good.Old school tyee member and i would like to get out on the pools again with grandson that is a licenced guide .do you have a tyee dory i can equip with gear or if i may equip with ,availble for 20th to the 1st of august,only need for one day to bring back the old memories.I will make myself availbe to meet with you previosly to compansate,at the water for a fish before , if you could get my dad on the water for the early fishery at the pools it would be a hit.FC invest in us can make dreams happen.thank you .let 2015 thread begin Dave .tom & briget painted my plugs now we have katherine all good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it looks like I am finally gonna hit the pool this year for a shot at the elusive club pin.
Yesterday, for my 50th Bday my wife gave me 3 nights at the lodge and a couple of rows.

Then last night when the gift was announced a friend who was in attendance told me I could take his Lucky Louie Plugs.

Really can't wait...

Back