Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2014....

GAME ON!!!!

Tonite, as I was biking down to the Tyee clubhouse, I heard the unmistakeable sound of the bell being rung and was stoked as can be.
For some obstinant reason I dislike spending a lot of time rowing when there are no fish around so tend to lollygag around until someone gets one.
But as soon as someone gets one.........

Anyway, in the true spirit of this group I'm posting a pic of the happy duo and their unhappy catch to see how close any of you can come to guessing its weight.
No fair phoning the clubhouse either.

Hint: It's not 75 lbs.

On the right is rower Mike Mackie and the happy rodholder is Troy Winslow, longtime Tyee afficianado and once the quarterback for USC when he was in college, a couple of years ago.

Standby faithful rodholders as I'll be calling you all in the next couple of days to set up some dates.

Until then.....

Take care.

Congrats to the team in the photo. I'm not going to guess the weight. Photos of guy's kneeling next to a fish or kneeling hovering over a fish (the infamous 75 lber) are VERY hard to guess. I don't really care anyways lol :D. That photo of the pinks is awesome. Someone that saw it first hand told me about it today. Cool to see. Thanks for sharing Dave :). I always enjoy viewing this thread :cool:.

32 1/2
On a spoon.

Thanks for the guesses guys and Sculpin was closest.

Shows how widely estimates can range sometimes.

Here they are again with the weight visible.

Very nice fish to start with but we're hoping for bigger along the way.

Take care.

I think Albernifisher was closest :)

DUH!!

You are absolutely correct my friend.

I had Sculpin on my mind because of his response and somehow typed his name instead of Albernifisher when replying.

I should have double-checked obviously.

Anyway, nothing this morning although there were 16 boats trying, the largest morning number to date.

Word travels quickly nowadays.

Later.

Take care.

So last nite I rowed an old pal who registered a 48 1/2 pounder in 2010 on a spoon, rowed by the late Chris Plamondon.

In Chris's memory we trolled a spoon around and because he claimed he hadn't had another strike since then, I really hauled on those oars 'til dark.

I could feel it this morning.

We did hear four different voices cry out FISH ON!! during the evening but all were lost or little so no Tyee last nite.

There WAS a bit of a three-way going on at one point when three plug towers managed to hook onto each other.

I didn't count THOSE cries of "Fish on!" though. LOL

Here's what one looks like and I was mortified to see that two of the three were woodies built by the same guy who built mine.

I'm happy to report we were not involved.

This morning I drove to Victoria and moments before I got back tonite the bell tolled again.
This time only three rings but a nice 35 pounder is nothing to sneer at so well done.
The fish was caught on a plug by Francois Charron rowed by Peter Wipper, who has rowed a few before.

Here's Francois feigning the bell with his gal pal looking on approvingly.
I didn't get her name unfortunately............or her number either. LOL

That's about it from Tyee Central for now.
I'm starting some serious daily rowing tomorrow and hope to get lucky again this year with one or more of my faithful rodholders, so stay tuned and I'll stay hopeful.

Until then....

Take care.

LOVE the Tyee Pool thread every year. :cool:

DUH!!

You are absolutely correct my friend.

I had Sculpin on my mind because of his response and somehow typed his name instead of Albernifisher when replying.

I should have double-checked obviously.

Anyway, nothing this morning although there were 16 boats trying, the largest morning number to date.

Word travels quickly nowadays.

Later.

Take care.

I didn't mean to bugger you up Dave LOL!!! :D. Keep up the good work man. Great reports and pics :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly noon Monday and no new fish to report.

A lovely evening row last outing with a Super Full Moon rising so here's a couple of pics just to show how neat it can be sometimes.

Here's the couple who bought the boat built just before mine was built.
Say hello to Sharon and Scott toughing it out.

And once again, here's what it's all about.

Take care.

Those of you with some familiarity with the Tyee Club fishery here will recognize a few names who have distinguished themselves over a long enough period to have earned no small amount of respect from fellow anglers.
Names like R D Berger, Randy Killoran, Joe Painter, Troy Winslow and a few others know many of the little variations in time and tide that present opportunities and the afternoon flood at a certain time always attracts some attention, and often one or more of the abovementioned names will be out, jockeying for position.

Here's a shot with several of them demonstrating what I mean. I see Chris Cook, Randy K, Mike Mackie (red) with Troy on rod plus a couple of other stalwarts there.

That pic was taken this evening as I totally missed the afternoon show today where it appears that currently redhot rower Mike Mackie and experienced rodman Ken Enns snuck one out from under the spoons of Randy K and R D Berger to the tune of 36 1/2 pounds. It too was taken on a spoon and Mike now has rowed two of the three Tyee registered.
As I type this I'm not aware of anything being registered tonite but a late one may have been. I'll know in the morning.

Lovely nite tonite with this for a sunset.

And then this red moon arising.

And here's a pic of the 35 pounder from Saturday nite showing Peter the rower, behind the lady. He deserves credit for rowing a new member but wasn't shown in previous pics.

_2%20fish2014.jpg

Take care.

Back