Taking a toddler fishing?

MadJigga

My daughter is 2 1/2 years old, does anyone have positive or negative experience with taking a kid of this age out on the chuck. She really wants to come fishing! I,m in a 17' Hurston and would likely stay in more protected waters. Obviously I have a good PFD for her.

I have fished with my boys since they were small. Get her a little rod and let her jig up anything from the bottom. at this stage it doesnt matter what she catches as long as there is action. just keep it fun and interactive

Both of my kids (now 8 and 4) have been coming fishing with me since they were less than 6 months old. As they have gotten older I come a little more prepared (a couple of games etc...) to help keep them interested but for the most part they are good for 4 or 5 hours of lines in the water. They are actually more patient than my wife so I sometimes bring them without her. They both love bringing in salmon (with some help from dad) and this year they have been begging me to take them out for halibut so we will do that sometime soon.

Get your daughter out there...it might take a while to build up the time with lines in the water but anytime out there with kids is awesome.

I've been bringing my kids fishing since my Son was 1, but I've always owned 24-26' boats, so there has always been somewhere dark to nap. The only issue is if she gets bored, but I'm sure you can deal with that.
Just be careful not to scare her and it should lead to a lifelong love of the sea!

I say you are missing out on some special quality time if you don't take them. Took both my children boy and girl even when they were in diapers. Would recommend keeping it fun, rock cod, greenling, oh the days of so many pinks, keep trips short, take lots of food, snacks and goodies and start something that will last a lifetime, your boat is perfect for calm days. OMG the memories, my 3 yr old daughter playing hoochie doll, placing my hoochies on her Barbie's as cloths, singing and playing games. I cannot think of any bad reasons not to take your children. Now many years later my best fishing buddies are my grown children. Just do it, you will not regret.

HM

I have been taking my daughters out in our 20ft Harbourcraft since they were born. They are now 2 and 4 now seem to love going out more than I do. My wife and I just had a son two weeks ago so haven't taken the family out yet this year and I get asked by my daughters daily "when are we going fishing?" Just remember to bring a few toys and lots of snacks, they will have a blast! We are taking our newborn out on the July long weekend on a 38fter so it will be a little more comfortable but I truly believe that a family that plays together, stays together. Get em out there!

I have a 1 and 3 year old, the 3 year old comes out on almost every trip (fishing off a 20ft hard top) and the whole family comes about once a week. Lots of snacks and drinks is defiantly the key! We also keep a small bag of toys on the boat and if we are going out for more then a couple hours we through the iPad in as they can loose interest quickly. If they do get bored we just go for a rip, everyone loves going fast!

Don't expect to stay out for 6-12 hours and be ready to head in at the drop of a hat and you'll be in for a good morning or afternoon with the family!

My son started coming out fishing as soon as he could walk.

He did fall out of a canoe once, wearing his PFD, when he was about 3, bobbed down to me where I lifted him back up into the canoe. No harm done.

He hasn't fallen out in the ocean yet. At 11 he works the boat pretty well. He can pretty much run it on his own, and loves to be out fishing whenever. Cleans most of the fish too.

Never too young to start.

Make sure you have a way to keep her warm, and have various snacks/drinks.

Both of my kids LOVED to clean fish(not that they got them too clean to begin with). I'd cut them open and they'd explore everything, blood & guts everywhere.

We got our first boat when my boys were 6 & 4. Have been on every fishing trip together ever since, there 12 & 10 now. At that time it was just a 14ft welded alum boat so super easy to launch and trailer and they where eager to always help. Six years of experiences and memories that they just wouldn't have had by being left at home. We live in a great part of the country, no better place to explore and bond with your kids. Now we have a much larger boat to accommodate the larger appetites and stereo system for there music. Both of them love to get right in there to clean the fish as well, just remember not to criticize there cleaning job as there is no faster way to discourage them from wanting to do it again.

Take them out. It's funny watch any father's day derby and majority with kids leave them at home. It's one of the best things you can do with them.

I started going out with my 1st and second at 2. Only thing that's made it easy is too have a cuddy. Many times been out first light they just sleep for a little if they get bored.

Had my daughter out for 5 hours today out of Pedder Bay! She was awesome! She napped on a makeshift bed made from the seat cushions for an hour and a half, definitely going to trade up to a bigger boat with a cuddy as staying out longer would be more comfortable for her and my son once he's old enough.

Good job. Faster than you think you will not be allowed to go without her. She will insist, this until around 12/13 then friends sometimes pulls them away. Offer to take her friends, you will understand when you have 3 girls screaming, 3 rods with pinks on and boat mayhem. Awesome memories.

HM

my daughter did not enjoy the fishing rod butt placement when handleing the rod .I recomend buying her own rod and modify the butt end to fit a waist belt rod holder.images.jpg

Yep bring kids all the time. Bring enough food to feed them continuosly and you will have no problem. Mine love cutting them open to see if theres eggs and what they have been eating.

Take them young and they are hooked for life.

A few tips:

-Take a sleeping bag. They think it's fun, it keeps them warm and easy to sleep.
- strap a car seat into a seat. keeps them strapped in for running and even just trolling.
-lots of snacks (and special treats trains them to like the boat!).
-take lots of toys.
Love the car seat idea! As she slipped off the seat a couple of times while motoring over other boats wakes and when we were in some serious current around Race Rocks.I ended up sitting her on my knees while driving. Love this forum for this, easily getting the benefit of so many others experiences! We did Timbits for the special treats, may make that a tradition, I referenced back to some of your pictures with your kids to ease my wife's mind.

I've been out with Captain PartyMarty and his kids they do well even sleeping while rockin' across the strait.

His 25' Bayliner has a cuddy that they more or less live in they have snacks galore, toys & an Ipad he said sometime he takes the other small one (a girl) when she's up for it.

Don't forget to add a little education without them knowing, oh the eagles, how the tide works, talk about the whales, a little history, what the fish eat, lifecycle of salmon, slowly circle race rocks, tons to see and explain. All bonuses that add to their experience, not at once but slowly over the years the discussions change. One day you might hear her telling her friends about something you told her, or they investigate on the internet later. All good things. I sort of envy your opportunity. Did all this many years ago, now mine have grown, I am delegated as driver, they set gear and catch .

HM

I bring my 2 1/2 daughter fishing with me just the 2 of us all the time. Life jacket on full time lots of food, drinks, a blanket to lay on and when she is really board out comes the YouTube on the iPhone and your good for another hour. Be ready for lots of questions and make sure to point out all the wild life and birds make it a fun experience. Pretty fun when you bring in a fish it's a crap shoot if she will cry or not when u bonk a fish

Back