switching 9.9 to 15hp kicker

dmurph

Curious if anyone has ever switched from a 9.9 high thrust to a 15 high thrust. Thinking to do the switch myself and would like to know if it would be a noticeable difference in performance, going to go from long shaft to extra long shaft also. This is on a 2359 trophy about 6000lbs all loaded down kicker is on the swim grid. thinking a little extra power and length would control the boat better. Any thoughts?

I've got a 15hp pro kicker, over kill for my application, 19' runabout with sterndrive. It was a derby prize.

Before this I had a '78 evinrude 9.9 2stroke. The 9.9 worked fine in calm conditions but didn't have the traction on windy and rough days, it was mainly used as an emergency motor and mostly trolled on the main.

I can troll in heavy current, wind and bad water no problem with the 15hp and only start the main if waves are coming over the windshield. Love the motor but wish it was a 9.9 pro kicker, for the weight savings only.

My boat get to hull speed slightly past 1/2 throttle, just makes more noise after that. I think boats 24'+ would utilize the 15hp to get hull speed.

Also not sure how you would steer your kicker but the TR1 gold has trouble steering my kicker at hull speed, not enough torque to move the motor from side to side at higher throttle, this would be amplified with a bigger boat.

I've got a 2010 extra long shaft, power tilt, remote throttle 15hp pro kicker.

Well i run a 9.9 on the hourston at 7100 lbs dry and moves it fine only downside is when its REALLY windy and tide is smoking just not enough but then i just fire up main and move past the hard current.. wish they would make a high thrust 15 or a 17 hp extra long ... but dont hold your breath...

Thanks wolf, main reason to switch is to get a extra long leg, think my rig would be far better with it. Seems like it's always windy and rough when the fishing is good. Guess you don't like the merc wolf?

Wolf, you can build your own 15 hp high thrust Yami. All you need is blown up big block 9.9 with a good leg and find a good 15hp powerhead....simple re and re of powerheads and your 9.9 is now a true 15 hp high thrust.

AFAIK Merc 9.9 and 15 hp share the same powerhead and drivetrain, just throttle restrictor for the 9.9. There won't be much weight penalty.

Ive always been a fan of the 9.9s yammys my first one had over 5000 hours on it before it went ran it till it died ill stick with them very reliable and out of 100 days of trolling only have maybe 5 to 10 days where a "bigger" one would be nice small sacrifice really

My bad, they were the same in the late 90s/early 0ies, when did they change?

Back