Kicker for my 17.5 DE

Nugget

Hey fellas,

I want to get a new kicker on my 17.5ft Double Eagle. Currently I have a 1994 9.9 merc and it’s loud and absolutely drinks the fuel.

Debating on the following:

8hp Merc
9.9 Merc High Thrust Pro Kicker
9.9 Merc Regular

Any thoughts or opinions? Anyone with similar boat. Also was wondering if anyone has ever hooked up a separate throttle lever for a kicker in a boat small like line? It’s a pain always having to go back and adjust the throttle but space is at a premium in a 17.5.

Cheers

I have 2 buddies that have the Malibu Tyee version of this boat and they both run the merc 9.9 high trust pro. One doesn’t use it though because it’s too loud for trolling and instead uses it as a back up and trolls off the main 90hp merc. His pro kicker was new 2 years ago.

Can’t speak to the others mentioned, but have been on other boats running a 9.9 zuk and 9.9 high trust pro and it’s the same. Super loud.

Don’t get this. Lots of big motors 90-300’s run quieter.

Some info that may help. I had a buddy fishing with me a while ago. His kicker is a Yamaha 8 hp. I have a newer 9.9 hp Mercury non pro. He said a few times that day how much quieter my kicker was than his.

Do you fish where there are a lot of strong currents? The pro should be better in strong currents because I believe it swings a bigger prop but I am not sure.

For the separate throttle controls for the kicker, I am going to look at an itroll set up during the winter. Not cables and control.

I have an 18’ centre console.

Last edited:
i currently have a 15hp mercury pro-kicker. Surprisingly it’s near the same weight as the 9.9 and on high current days, I’m not rev’ing out the motor. If you care about the noise, look for a fuel injected motor. Extremely quiet compared to carb motors.

I have Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on my 17.5 DE. I also have this set up with the separate throttle and love it.

I have a 17' DE and have had both a 9.9 Yamaha high thrust (1996) and now a Yamaha 6 (2004 with two cylinders). I prefer the 6 as it's quieter, smaller, and provides better fine tune control of trolling speed. Problem is the new 6 hp is now single cylinder, which I think would vibrate more.

Caveat to my comments. I have a centre console with no top or sunbrella etc, nothing to magnify the drone of the kicker. That’s a noticeable difference.

Hey fellas,

I want to get a new kicker on my 17.5ft Double Eagle. Currently I have a 1994 9.9 merc and it’s loud and absolutely drinks the fuel.

Debating on the following:

8hp Merc
9.9 Merc High Thrust Pro Kicker
9.9 Merc Regular

Any thoughts or opinions? Anyone with similar boat. Also was wondering if anyone has ever hooked up a separate throttle lever for a kicker in a boat small like line? It’s a pain always having to go back and adjust the throttle but space is at a premium in a 17.5.

Cheers
I dont have a Double Eagle but an 18.5 HC/KF and run a 6HP 4 stroke hooked up to an Itroll , I couldn't burn $10 fuel in a day if I tried

I bought a new 8hp merc (e/start & alternator) a few years back (2018). I love it and it has been a great motor.
I had it on my old 19ft boat and now have it on my 21ft Trophy. It pushes my Trophy around well.

I have a 17' DE and have had both a 9.9 Yamaha high thrust (1996) and now a Yamaha 6 (2004 with two cylinders). I prefer the 6 as it's quieter, smaller, and provides better fine tune control of trolling speed. Problem is the new 6 hp is now single cylinder, which I think would vibrate more.
This is true and it does

Have a 17.5 DE 9.9 Yamaha 2000 year.

Doesn't seem too loud, been a great motor. Had to do the brain box 2 seasons ago. Other than that not much and still running strong. Perfect size for this boat. Separate throttle control would be nice but don't think that will happen. If you're going to go mercury stay away from the 9.9 and go with the 15 fuel injected. Same size physically but WAY less problems (carb issues)

my 2 cents. Shayne

Have a 17.5 DE 9.9 Yamaha 2000 year.

Doesn't seem too loud, been a great motor. Had to do the brain box 2 seasons ago. Other than that not much and still running strong. Perfect size for this boat. Separate throttle control would be nice but don't think that will happen. If you're going to go mercury stay away from the 9.9 and go with the 15 fuel injected. Same size physically but WAY less problems (carb issues)

my 2 cents. Shayne
I have a 9.9 hp Mercury 4 stroke electric start trolling motor. It is 16 years old.
Changed the plugs a couple of times and water pump every 3 or 4 years. Never a problem. Still purrs at all speeds.

What ever you buy keep weight in mind if it is the model with a well and you have a heavy 4 stroke main on there already.

What ever you buy keep weight in mind if it is the model with a well and you have a heavy 4 stroke main on there already.
Thanks Profisher. A new 9.9 is only 17lbs heavier so I don’t think it should be a huge difference. I may install a kicker bracket also.

Back