Sweet go pro footage and story!

Great footage!

Always interesting to see what is really going on down there. Lots of fish taking a look at that herring but even the scavengers are not hitting it.
Sometimes they need a reason. How often do you get a hit when you are just reeling up? or just changed downrigger depths?
I think this happens often because fish are there checking out the bait and when it is "getting away" their insticts kick in and the grab it.
This is why some guys catch more fish than others... They give them a reason to hit. Depth change, speed change...
Fishing is not just dragging hooks if you want to be a top rod.

Great video and great story!

Tips

That's excellent, wonder why then chinooks never had a nibble on that herring? the halibut looked kinda interested too..

That's excellent, wonder why then chinooks never had a nibble on that herring? the halibut looked kinda interested too..

as for the chinooks only reason i can think was presentation.......it was a awful rotten halibut herring.....tied on the gill plate. ****** role and we wernt really moving. They came in fast like they wanted to hit it but then probably stopped when they saw how awful it looked lol. who knows. I think if I was mooching with a nice cut plug herring and had the nice role going on they would have smacked it for sure.

We caught rat fish after rat fish, and lots of halis in between. That last hali picks up the herring and drags the camera as it swims away. I think your right though if your just dragging bottom and not moving the bait much you wont pick up the fish as much.

Are you going to switch out your braided deepline now, i have herd a few horror stories of the braided line snapping like that, i have been kinda ify on switching to braid, stainless 180 lb scotty is all i run. it didn't seem to be hooked on anything though , it just broke?

Are you going to switch out your braided deepline now, i have herd a few horror stories of the braided line snapping like that, i have been kinda ify on switching to braid, stainless 180 lb scotty is all i run. it didn't seem to be hooked on anything though , it just broke?

Just snapped at the pully......I have some nasty edges on the pully that I plan on sanding tonight! I dont think I will switch to steel again. I dont want to worry about the voltage issues. one less thing to worry about!

Ran braided for 5 years now and never had that problem once. Probably lost 1/5 the amount of downrigger balls as well. Braided all the way for me. Not even a choice imo. Weird it did that for you though.

i was worried about the voltage issue but when i checked with my multi meter i had .07 volts , i was told that for every 100 feet you drop you lose .01 of a volt, so at 200 feet i am at .05, been catching fish so far..if it ain't broke don't fix it... guess im old school...i think it is personal preference but that's a different thread topic...

Ya. That's the coolest go pro footage I have seen. I like how close your ball lands in the 2nd video, to the camera.
You almost hit the camera!!

Just out of curiosity, how much is a gopro camera like that worth? I'd love to try that!!

any idea how many kn's the current was running when your gear was down there? or how fast you were trolling before? neat to see the action.

i dont know all my fish yet were those black eyed fish sculpin or those are the rat fish? cool ****! nice to see underwater action in our waters

rockdog check out the hali honey hole..or something like that , great go pro footage too

Very cool video! How deep was that, I just scanned the post and didnt see the depth, decent light levels for filming.

Really shows the current at the bottom when you see the stones wiggling like that.
The sound the ball on the spreader makes when it hits the bottom also shows how important of a factor touching the bottom can be, must be like a bell going off down there.

super cool...

Just snapped at the pully......I have some nasty edges on the pully that I plan on sanding tonight! I dont think I will switch to steel again. I dont want to worry about the voltage issues. one less thing to worry about!

when you first switch from steel to braided you need to either replace your pulleys or sand them smooth...the steel creates notches in the plastic that will fray the braided. I'll never switch back to steel and there's a reason you don't see steel on any guide boats.

Just awesome! Thanks for sharing. Hope you lots more of those karma days and share them with us!

FYI, Used the noose on tail method today on a 110lber, worked well, put gaff through lip as well in order to have better control and not put so much pressure on spine...took 2 quick pics in boat and then let her free, she kicked all the way down and was healthy as an ox. Almost went in the chuck on a 85lber c and r though...someone is going to this year, guarantee it.

Just got back from back to back 2 night trips.

Highlights were my first quadruple header on chinooks.....never even had a triple header before. wow it was a **** show. I guess any quad header will be a **** show. First fish was 10 pounds then second was 15 and the 3rd was 20 and we ended the quad off with a 31 pounder. we got lucky with all the fish, they all went the right way and nothing got stuck in the net. We also released another hali over 100.

the second trip had some awesome chinooks but no quadrouple headers just a couple doubles......but we did get a halibut over 200 pounds....didnt get a tape on it and kind of glad I didn't cause it would have been a **** show. anyway my guess on weight was 250 I will post some footage in a bit. My 140 I got the week before looked small compared to this thing.

Back