Surge Brakes

TGofers

Re-doing my brakes on my boat trailer. Complete overhaul. Boat and trailer weight 4400 not loaded. I am hauling this with my Ford Explore, which says it can haul 7000lbs and called in the vin and dealer confirmed, but I am a little worried. Boat is a 20 ft Bayliner,1984 with an enclosed Cuddy and a 305. So the main questions is are Surge Brakes adequate and if so, anyone know a good source on the mainland for a kit. I am wanting to run plastic lines rather than steel as I heard this is the "new and improved" way to go when dipping trailer into the salt so looking for dealer that has a full blown kit, master cylinder and all. Thinking Lordco?

I think the legal limit in BC is 6000 lbs then you have to go to hyd/elec. I switched two years ago from surge to Hyd/elec. No comparison for control purposes. If you ever get sway while travelling down a highway, the only way to gain control is with a brake controller in the cab controlling hyd/elec type brakes. Surge just isn't as safe. I'd change them if you have the chance. You're getting up north of 5000lbs I suspect with full fuel, ice and gear.

Back