Super stern heavy Hewescraft, .... and rides terrible !

get rid of your motors, replace with a 6HP sailpro and F115LB.
its an 18 foot boat. its not built for a F150. jeez. and hydrofoils are just a band aid. dont use them.

Last edited:
Why don’t you lookup or contact Hewes and find out what the max engine size is for your boat.

I know with my previous boat ,sea runner 220 extended transom it was max 225 .
There was a placard to that effect in the boat.

Why don’t you lookup or contact Hewes and find out what the max engine size is for your boat.

I know with my previous boat ,sea runner 220 extended transom it was max 225 .
There was a placard to that effect in the boat.
It is actually rated for a 150 max...

Theres a plate on the hull with the specs

its an 18 foot boat. its not built for a F150. jeez. and hydrofoils are just a band aid. dont use them.

115 maybe

6hp kicker nooooooooo , those 1 cylinder kickers rattle your fillings out

Yup normal like I told you. Add a se hydrofoil and rock on.
Maybe it is actually 'normal'...... or 'expected' with this setup

.... as-in potentially nothing wrong (like 300lbs of water hiding somewhere)

but not ideal.

I will probably pull and replace the foam I can access easily (under the floor)
then move the batteries forward under the stairs to the bow.
Big jobs

No different than trim tabs at the end of the day.....

Maybe it is actually 'normal'...... or 'expected' with this setup

.... as-in potentially nothing wrong (like 300lbs of water hiding somewhere)

but not ideal.

I will probably pull and replace the foam I can access easily (under the floor)
then move the batteries forward under the stairs to the bow.
Big jobs

All of the hewecraft boats that I've seen, pour their foam in. Into the beams and everything.

Most of the 18 and 21 footers Crack at the keel where the extruded aluminum strip is joining the the 2 halves or where it's cut and joined to make the bow rake. Maybe yours is different. Have no idea without seeing pics

Just pull the drain plug and tilt it up. See what comes out over a few days.

Put some weight in the bow.not uncommon. I have a boat with several hundred lbs in the bow. No big deal

do you have any pics , would like to see them if you do , have a couple buddies with Hewes

Here's one picture I took. I can take another one next time I'm there. This one they poured foam through those holes in the aluminum beam.

You will notice that the salt actually compacted itself between the wood floor and the aluminum floor supports

Attachments

• 20211008_154313.jpg
    20211008_154313.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 237
I can almost hear the electrolysis between the foam and hull.

No electrolysis there. Just salt buildup

This gives you an idea of how properly made aluminum boats should be for constant ocean use. Especially when moored in the salt for long periods

No electrolysis there. Just salt buildup

This gives you an idea of how properly made aluminum boats should be for constant ocean use. Especially when moored in the salt for long periods
For 100k.. for 50k for that matter. I want a metal hull with sealed bulkheads. Not plywood floors.

For 100k.. for 50k for that matter. I want a metal hull with sealed bulkheads. Not plywood floors.

You know something. Noone builds boats like that anymore unless specified. I'm sure northwest would do sealed bulkheads, sure Daigle would, and I'm sure that the commercial shipyard builders would. End of the day, you will be alot more then 100k with a properly built aluminum.

I just want to comment on alot of what ive read on this thing. one thing if you add more and more weight to a boat especially a smaller boat your really not helping it as its going to be ALOT heavier!!!!! Especially in nasty waters could almost be dangerous, may capsize is the worse scenario alot more fuel burn as now your goanna need more power to move a heavier boat . lower speeds .you really need to address why its so low and many have suggested look where the problem is, id be pulling up the floor boards and if you squish the foam and water is surfacing you can only imagine how much is "under it all" water is VERY heavy id start there for safety sake.

I used to own a 22' Hewes Ocean Pro. Was fortunate to be able to store in my garage, but moored June through October and was exposed to a lot of rain that went straight into the bilge. One suggestion I have is to stick a fan in the bilge right below the batteries (transom area) and open one of the round floor hatches near the helm to get good air circulation. I was able to keep the foam dry for 10yrs on this program. Pulled up a floor board once to check and it was dry. Hewes are awesome boats for the price, but you will eventually pay for no self bailing decks if you don't give them some TLC.

transom wedges will fix the porpoising, Doelfin works too, but a band-aid I think..... I had same issue with similar boat and yammy 150, dealer said yamahas don't trim down as much as other brands?? transom wedges worked awesome, easy to put in, on dryland by myself. Also the older hewescaft are narrower than now.

Back