Super stern heavy Hewescraft, .... and rides terrible !

TinnyTime

Hi All,

Check out how stern heavy my boat sits in the water !
Boat is a 2005 SeaRunner 180 (w/ standard transom)

20210724_213121.jpg

I know its a big 150 on the back but GEEEEZ !
Also has dual batteries and a 9.9 kicker.

The boat rides terrible.
I cant get above 20 or 22 knots without violent porpoising, regardless of trim.
I have passive trim tabs, which helps a bit.

Motor height is good, the motors anti-cavitation plate is exactly in-line with the bottom of the hull.

Either the boat wasn't designed very well, ...... or my only other thought is water saturated foam....

Anyone experience this ? thoughts ?

20210305_172221.jpg

20210722_143617.jpg

Thanks

Moving the batteries forward helped a lot on our boat. Just longer cables and a fuse. The effect is double the weight of the batteries because they're not just out of the stern but now in the bow. It's a 200 pound change for the better! 1/0 guage will be about right. $120.

Last edited:
I've seen a few of these look like that fishing out of Vancouver, Bow way up like that and just gets blown around in gusts and wind.

Still shouldn't sit like that
agreed !

I could buy a 4-blade prop to help lift stern when under way.... BUT....
......... the dang stern is just way too heavy for some reason, it sits in the water butt-end heavy, .....a prop wont fix that.
The super heavy stern is a more fundamental problem than an incorrect prop.

I bought the boat in Dec, and it was stored outside, .... I feel like the foam in the back of the boat may be water logged, and heavy.
I got a custom cover made for the back so its not being rained in any longer.

I've already got the trim tabs, .......... I dont think I should add a dol-fin (hydro-foil) on top of that.

Something is not right that’s way too heavy in the stern prop and foil might bandaid the problem if the hulls dry inside you need to shift weight forward big time. Batteries and fuel would help.

agreed !

I could buy a 4-blade prop to help lift stern when under way.... BUT....
......... the dang stern is just way too heavy for some reason, it sits in the water butt-end heavy, .....a prop wont fix that.
The super heavy stern is a more fundamental problem than an incorrect prop.

I bought the boat in Dec, and it was stored outside, .... I feel like the foam in the back of the boat may be water logged, and heavy.
I got a custom cover made for the back so its not being rained in any longer.

I've already got the trim tabs, .......... I dont think I should add a dol-fin (hydro-foil) on top of that.
If you have access through the floor excavate a hole to the bottom of the hull, then use your shop vac. If not you can put one in. Doesn't need to be big. If it is wet foam, tilt the boat toward your access and you'll correct most of the problem. It takes a few days and repeated vacuuming. As you suck the water out, more drains down. It will never be 100% but far better. Did this on an old Glas Par years ago.

Yes, foam saturation will be part of it but I think the boat was designed to be sold with one main engine and likely 1 battery. Back then rigging was done by the dealers if I remember correctly so when double battery, heavy kicker and main they sat stern heavy. It’s a huge project to redo the foam and dry out the floor boards, I think there’s a hewescraft forum showing the job. Hydrofoil will likely fix the porpoising and help with handling at speed. Here’s mine with 3 guys on board two in the stern.F767259B-D063-4413-AE6F-17BD609E3A6D.jpeg

If you have access through the floor excavate a hole to the bottom of the hull, then use your shop vac. If not you can put one in. Doesn't need to be big. If it is wet foam, tilt the boat toward your access and you'll correct most of the problem. It takes a few days and repeated vacuuming. As you suck the water out, more drains down. It will never be 100% but far better. Did this on an old Glas Par years ago.
Just screws holding the seats and floors down.

The F150 and 9.9 HT Yamaha is a heavy combo for that boat.I sold my 185 DE partly because it only had about 2" before water poured over the transom well.I even raised the opening for the cables up 6" to be sure no water got in there.But check for wet foam for sure.

Back