Super stern heavy Hewescraft, .... and rides terrible !

I don’t think the shims will have any effect on how it sits I think it is only 3/4 inch thick at the top but the motor will tuck in a little more at the bottom.

I bought the boat in Dec, and it was stored outside, .... I feel like the foam in the back of the boat may be water logged, and heavy.
I got a custom cover made for the back so its not being rained in any longer.
Sorry to hear of your issues. The Hewes look like great boats.
Did you not sea trial before purchasing? or is problem new after you purchased?
Looks like you have an issue. Lots of band aids recommended but you need to find the problem and fix it. IMO.

You may just be over weighted in the stern with a big main, kicker and batteries. Where is the fuel tank in that boat?

Sorry to hear of your issues. The Hewes look like great boats.
Did you not sea trial before purchasing? or is problem new after you purchased?
Looks like you have an issue. Lots of band aids recommended but you need to find the problem and fix it. IMO.

You may just be over weighted in the stern with a big main, kicker and batteries. Where is the fuel tank in that boat?
Yeah I would be moving the batteries into the bow and slide the fuel tank forward if possible

Yeah I would be moving the batteries into the bow and slide the fuel tank forward if possible
Ya, definitely, I am no marine engineer but the water saturation in the foam not the reason why the boat is sitting 4” to low at the stern, 1000 lbs of motor and battery is more realistic

An 18' aluminum boat that I was in pound like hell in choppy seas at any kind of higher or cruising speed.
I would worry about moving my batteries up front where they would the be subject to even more pounding than the normal spot at the stern.
"The battery box (especially on smaller boats) should be located where it won’t be adversely affected by wave pounding" is what the experts say.

An 18' aluminum boat that I was in pound like hell in choppy seas at any kind of higher or cruising speed.
I would worry about moving my batteries up front where they would the be subject to even more pounding than the normal spot at the stern.
"The battery box (especially on smaller boats) should be located where it won’t be adversely affected by wave pounding" is what the experts say.
When I moved my batteries forward, I put foam knee pads (like for gardening) under the batteries in the boxes to cushion them. They don't get much more pounding than I do.

I also say you could have some wet foam. Look under the floor boards. This is common and I'm near certain it's your problem. Hewescraft craft installs the foam so the boat will still partial float for a few days after getting a massive hole in it. I read that it saved life's and they won't make with out it. The same foam is under the gunnel. Fresh water weights 1kg/L and it dosent take much to add a lot of weight.

You can read lots on this topic at Hewescraftowners.com it's a great forum with lots of info from owners.

I have a 190 searunner ET with a yammy 150, kicker, 2 battery's and it never sits like yours, even with a cooler packed with beers on the transom. Only time is when I have 100's of pounds of bottom fish after a great buddy trip. Not sure if the ET makes that big a difference with rear floatation?

Last edited:
Not sure if the ET makes that big a difference with rear floatation?
The extended transom absolutely makes a big difference how much weight it will carry.It's no different than comparing an 18Ft. boat to a 20Ft. boat.Picture sides and top cap above the pod.

Start by moving batteries forward. If you think the will take a beating use gel batteries such as optima Do you have seat boxes You could put under mid ship?

Doesn't the foam only help if you are sinking? Or I guess if your bilge fails and rain fills the hull. Is it a coast guard requirement or could you get rid of it?

If the foams waterlogged, could you scrape it out and fill the voids with ping pong balls? It would give you little sealed compartments for flotation but would let water drain to the bilge.

Last edited:
Having looked at the responses I would say that something is fundamentally wrong and moving things around in the boat or adding pieces of equipment is not going to solve whatever is causing the problem-good luck

Does that boat have an excruded aluminum strip that joins 2 halves together on the bottom to make the bottom of the hull?

Back