Super stern heavy Hewescraft, .... and rides terrible !

add a pod
Its crossed my mind.
Thatd solve the problem, and I could float more weight... But if there's wet foam, would still need to come out.

A hewes owner told me yesterday he got a pod built and installed on a 180 sportsman for $7k

Doesn't the foam only help if you are sinking? Or I guess if your bilge fails and rain fills the hull. Is it a coast guard requirement or could you get rid of it?

If the foams waterlogged, could you scrape it out and fill the voids with ping pong balls? It would give you little sealed compartments for flotation but would let water drain to the bilge.

I would plan to replace the foam if I tore the old foam out.

Sorry to hear of your issues. The Hewes look like great boats.
Did you not sea trial before purchasing? or is problem new after you purchased?
Looks like you have an issue. Lots of band aids recommended but you need to find the problem and fix it. IMO.

You may just be over weighted in the stern with a big main, kicker and batteries. Where is the fuel tank in that boat?
No sea trial. Crazy covid market, had to make the deal.

Its crossed my mind.
Thatd solve the problem, and I could float more weight... But if there's wet foam, would still need to come out.

A hewes owner told me yesterday he got a pod built and installed on a 180 sportsman for $7k
You could pod it or just ad a hydrofoil like I did and then you can run it at 30mph and take it to places like swift sure etc.... or not.

Reactions: BCI
I also say you could have some wet foam. Look under the floor boards. This is common and I'm near certain it's your problem. Hewescraft craft installs the foam so the boat will still partial float for a few days after getting a massive hole in it. I read that it saved life's and they won't make with out it. The same foam is under the gunnel. Fresh water weights 1kg/L and it dosent take much to add a lot of weight.

You can read lots on this topic at Hewescraftowners.com it's a great forum with lots of info from owners.

I have a 190 searunner ET with a yammy 150, kicker, 2 battery's and it never sits like yours, even with a cooler packed with beers on the transom. Only time is when I have 100's of pounds of bottom fish after a great buddy trip. Not sure if the ET makes that big a difference with rear floatation?
25 gallons of trap water in the foam??? Would add 200at 40lbs per 5 gallons, I mean how much water can be trapped in the foam??? Maybe I am to lunch but Seems impossible, if it gets in the foam it must get out and down to the bilge area again maybe I am out to lunch but seems crazy that 200-300 hundred pounds of water is trapped in there

Last edited:
20 gallons of trap water in the foam??? Would add 200lbs at 40lbs per 5 gallons, I mean how much water can be trapped in the foam??? Maybe I am to lunch but Seems impossible, if it gets in the foam it must get out and down to the bilge area again maybe I am out to lunch but seems crazy that 200-300 hundred pounds of water is trapped in there

No doubt. But if the battery's are being considered for weight then water log seems possible. I went outside and looked at my boat to try to understand and I can't come up with any major items.

I agree with others on adding a Pod. Beside leveling out the boat it adds so much more, with safety being a main item. It's a worthwhile investment in my mind. My searunner 190 is the little boat that can. I have had that boat in some "challenging conditions" to say the least, & it always gets me home safe. I have over 300hrs on the main traveling in Haida Gwaii and have only ever had 2 days that kept me off the water. Trust me those days were biblical. No doubt you can avoid conditions where a pod is needed....But that's less days on the water and that's not cool.

Last edited:
20 gallons of trap water in the foam??? Would add 200lbs at 40lbs per 5 gallons, I mean how much water can be trapped in the foam??? Maybe I am to lunch but Seems impossible, if it gets in the foam it must get out and down to the bilge area again maybe I am out to lunch but seems crazy that 200-300 hundred pounds of water is trapped in there
The foam they use is entirely unsuited to the application. It may as well be sponges or paper towels. Closed cell foams are a bit more expensive, is all.

I would reinstall proper marine closed cell foam
Then keep it dry
I will fallow this one, if you do rip out the foam( not sure how much of a job that will be) never been in hewescraft I would love to know the water to foam ratio. I have a few cans of spray foam ( Home Depot) open cell at my shop and will do my own test lol

Pod may be solution but expensive trouble shooting if it doesn't resolve.
Sell the 150 and put a 115 on it, remove one battery?
Maybe remove the kicker and 1 battery just for a sea trial to see if weight is the issue.
But you still want to check out the foam and any other issues.
Other Hewes owners are probably your best to ask.
Sucks you could not sea trial. The past owner must have known. I wouldn't buy without sea trial. If owner won't let you they are hiding something.
Good luck. I feel for you having invested and now dealing with this. You just want to go fishing and enjoy your new boat.

Cannot rip all the foam out of a hewecraft boat. They pour in expandable foam inside the aluminum beams. **** gets everywhere. Cheap way to accommodate transport Canada's and US regulations. Makes a nightmare for moored boats and welding repairs.

Just pull some floor panels you will see the bones. Plywood decks screwed down. Not hard to do

I had an old 16ft welded aluminum boat with foam floatation in the floors. it wouldn't get on plane with three guys with the 50 hp outboard.
I pulled up the floors and found foam that seemed wet. like dig into it with a flat blade screwdriver and you got water leeching out.
I pulled out close to 300lbs of foam (and water) and I didn't get the whole boat done either. your best friend will be a recip saw with the pointy end cut off square and a big prybar its back breaking work and the water STIIIIINKS! good luck

Yeah now add a couple of guys playing a fish with a following sea!!! looks dangerous as hell to me!!!!
personally id be lifting up floor boards to see whats going on..
In that situation you could quickly discover the foam "flotation" doesn't. :confused:

I had a similar situation. Had a 60 horse (230lbs) and a 4 hp (60lbs). Boat rode decent.

"Upgraded" to miss piggy, a 400lb 75 hp and a 9.9 100 lbs. It would buck. The hydrofoil fixed that issue. Then went back to the 4hp and from two grp 31s to lithium batteries. Moved the spare down rigger balls to the nose. The more I shifted the weight forward the better it would ride.

You have a lot of weight in the back on a smaller hull. A 115 weighs around 340, a 150 - 480. It's like having an extra person sitting on your outboard the whole time.

Back