Super stern heavy Hewescraft, .... and rides terrible !

The boat rides terrible.
I cant get above 20 or 22 knots without violent porpoising, regardless of trim.
I have passive trim tabs, which helps a bit.

Anyone experience this ? thoughts ?
I've already got the trim tabs, .......... I dont think I should add a dol-fin (hydro-foil) on top of that.
Trim tabs do not help with porpoising, a SE Hydrofoil on the exact same boat has. I'm not a fan of the dol-fin but the SE Hydrofoil works. The bolt-on can be done quickly and returned if it doesn't work. As far as the weight you also have downriggers way back just like I did and a double battery, unlike the factory test. You can also fill up the bow live well to help balance the boat but you look at 180's from that era and that is how they sat and ran just like page 3 here. https://www.clemensmarina.com/techcorner/performance/Performance Bulletins searunner.pdf

That is a point. Looking at your photo I would find out where the extra weight is coming from. That isn't a big motor for that boat. Looking online none of them sit low like that.

Check underneath your floor. If you have water/waterlogged foam you want that out of there.

Should like that sitting in water

1632945880164.png

That is a point. Looking at your photo I would find out where the extra weight is coming from. That isn't a big motor for that boat. Looking online none of them sit low like that.

Check underneath your floor. If you have water/waterlogged foam you want that out of there.

Should like that sitting in water

View attachment 71086
This is one above is with the extended transom with extended hull and full flotation pod. You can see the waterline and how these sit. I agree there will be moisture in the foam, but not several hundred pounds. https://www.usednanaimo.com/power-boats/33289550

Once the saturated foam issue is confirmed or denied I would remove 1 battery and see how it looks. If it’s better leave it out. I don’t know why people insist on two batteries when they have a kicker with a alternator buy one really good AGM and keep it charged. I would then buy shims that bolt between the transom and motor. This will allow the motor to trim closer to the transom and push the bow down eliminating porpoise and giving you a better rough water ride. I shimmed my motor and it worked wonders. They are cheap and easy to install. I also run a Yamaha and they slid right in.I like the idea of moving the batteries forward.

I was thinking of contacting the factory
Ask if they could confirm or deny whether this is NORMAL.

If they suggest its ab-normal, that would point to extra weight somwehere hiding

Does anyone have a good contact at Hewes?

Once the saturated foam issue is confirmed or denied I would remove 1 battery and see how it looks. If it’s better leave it out. I don’t know why people insist on two batteries when they have a kicker with a alternator buy one really good AGM and keep it charged. I would then buy shims that bolt between the transom and motor. This will allow the motor to trim closer to the transom and push the bow down eliminating porpoise and giving you a better rough water ride. I shimmed my motor and it worked wonders. They are cheap and easy to install. I also run a Yamaha and they slid right in.I like the idea of moving the batteries forward.
Shims are an interesting concept I hadnt ever thought of, thanks.

And for dual batteries, yeah maybe not necesary... the boat came that way.
I will consider removing one.

The F150 and 9.9 HT Yamaha is a heavy combo for that boat.I sold my 185 DE partly because it only had about 2" before water poured over the transom well.I even raised the opening for the cables up 6" to be sure no water got in there.But check for wet foam for sure.

This.

F150 is just shy of 500lbs, Mercury 9.9 Prokicker is 110lbs.

Pretty sure these boats were designed with a 70-115 in mind, and no kicker. Around 350-400lbs less than your setup. I doubt it's the foam!

its rated for up to 150

But agree, 490lbs is a lot.

Maybe the factory could confirm (if they care) whether this is the expected outcome with a 150 + 9.9

I should weight the dang boat + trailer.

At a weigh station, or at the dump.

Probably disconnect the trailer from truck if they allow me to do that

Search the shims on Amazon and you can see what they look like. 5 deg is what I installed they are cheap 55.00 for the pair. Can you get the bow down with more speed?

As a fellow Hewescraft owner, I would immediately pull up the rear deck, and see what's going on down there. I pulled my rear deck after three years and was surprised by the moisture I found. If your foam is water laden, which can happen over the long term, not only do you have the ride problem, you have a much more serious potential corrosion problem that could be occurring.

Search the shims on Amazon and you can see what they look like. 5 deg is what I installed they are cheap 55.00 for the pair. Can you get the bow down with more speed?
I think a shim (or wedge) would improve ride, less porpoising.... but would hurt the static balance of the boat when not moving (since the motor is farther back)....

Am I thinking about this correctly ?

As a fellow Hewescraft owner, I would immediately pull up the rear deck, and see what's going on down there. I pulled my rear deck after three years and was surprised by the moisture I found. If your foam is water laden, which can happen over the long term, not only do you have the ride problem, you have a much more serious potential corrosion problem that could be occurring.

Dang, I think this fall is de-foaming time :(

not looking forward to it

Dang, I think this fall is de-foaming time :(

not looking forward to it
Unfortunately it might be more than defoaming time. What I found with mine is the foam trapped moisture, then the plywood floorboards were wicking it up from the foam, which adds more weight, and rot. And if let go far enough means new flooring. In my case, because I've caught it early I can avoid future problems by ensuring it gets dried out after using it. For example, don't store it where the rear deck gets rained on, and if tarped to keep rain out, don't tarp so tight that it traps the moisture from your last fishing trip in.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it might be more than defoaming time. What I found with mine is the foam trapped moisture, then than plywood floorboards were wicking it up from the foam, which adds more weight, and rot. And if let go far enough means new flooring. In my case, because I've caught it early I can avoid future problems by ensuring it gets dried out after using it. For example, don't store it where the rear deck gets rained on, and if tarped to keep rain out, don't tarp so tight that it traps the moisture from your last fishing trip in.

I just got this custom rear 'sloper' cover made to keep it dry
Previous owner didnt have this and kept it outside

received_1520456534960873.jpeg

Back