Sunshine Coast/Pender Harbour

cohochinook

Heading up this weekend to Pender Harbour for fish. Anyone been out there lately? I know that they were getting lots of shakers a few weeks ago. Hopefully things have picked up.

Nothing big from locals lately in any great #s. Hit a few shakers off epsom pt last week. Weather was nasty on weekend so came back to the mainland for the daily grind. The fishing sechelt reports are a decent source for info. The Dixon boys move around alot and cover alot of area, basically the inlet, and from the gap in gibsons all the way to nelson island. There is a shelf on the outside of thormandy that can be good if everywhere else is slow. Look on the chart to find it. It will stand out. Good luck.

I just wish I was catching more fish! Boat has been outta the water for the last week and a half with fuel problems. Hopefully get it back in for the weekend.

In the few trips I've gotten out on recently, just a couple shakers and some nice hits with fish on, then lost. So far nothing to the boat for me worth really reporting yet. I've been fishing Epsom, Pirate Rock, Thormandby and Secret Cove.

There have been some good reports of fish being caught in the area, so they are out there. Just might need to do a little searching to find out where they're hanging out. Buccaneer marina is a good place to ask where the action has been recently. And keep an eye on the fishing sechelt link that was posted.

Take note of the Rockfish Conservation Areas, there are a few of them around the Secret Cove/Pender Harbour area.

Good luck, and I hope to be out there this weekend as well. I'll be in an old and ugly 17.5' K&C which I've appropriately named "Butt Ugly". Yeah, it turns heads when people read my transom, then they usally start laughing hysterically. Oh well, I thought honesty would count for something!

Hi Butt Ugly

I used to have a K&C myself for 4 years. Great hull on that boat. Really rode well even when it got a little rough. I don't miss the engine problems but miss the boat. Motor packed in two years ago so I bought my current boat a Campion 492 17.5 foot. Hopefully we'll cross paths on the weekend.

I have launched from Buccaneer before. Hopefully the weather cooperates a little better then the forecast. The nice thing about my K&C was it had a cover. My Campion is totally open.

I'm just heading out to clean out my fuel tank at the car wash. I am going to be optimistic about the weather this weekend. The odd shower won't deter me. I put a hardtop on the boat this spring, and its pretty comfy in the rain.

If you have a radio, try calling me this weekend, and I'll let you know if I've found the fish. Or if you wish, send me an email, and I'll give you my cel number. I'll be talking with a few guys before the weekend to get some current info.

I may have, but it must have been in the spam folder I just emptied.

I've sent one to you.

Camping at Pender Harbour Resort. Got the boat all ready to go tomorrow. They have wireless so I am able to log on. Will post report tomorrow. Talked to the manager at the campground and he said the fishing has been very good this year. I guess I'll find out.

Looking forward to it tomorrow, and hope the weather holds up ok. Reaaly good with you covering north of Pender Harbour and me on the south, but only a few minutes between us depending who finds some fish first. Good luck!

Started out with the kids at Secret Cove. Shortly after we got out it started to rain hard. We hooked into a couple of rock fish, flounder, one ling cod and a dogfish. Kept the kids entertained. By 11:30 the kids were soaked. Called Grandad to pick them up and hit Epsom point. Shortly after getting the rods down hit a 12 pound Chinook that I lost at the boat. Had three other Chinook from 110 to 150 feet. Four other boats out there and everyone was into at least one or two fish. Talked to Butt Ugly who hit one as soon as he put the rod down but lost it at the South end of Thormamby. Not bad action for Sunshine Coast!

Hey!!! What's up with this "not bad for the Sunshine Coast" stuff???

We had 7 yesterday and 11 the trip before that and everyone out of Powell River was slaying them today and came back with limits.

"not bad for the Sunshine Coast" he says..... damn high standards....

:D

Everyone I talked to says its been a great year! Good to see after a couple of slower ones. Hopefully it continues.

That's a good day anywhere SIR!

Now there you go again with that "hopefully it continues" stuff :)

glass half full, think glass half full, this many little fish this year means what for next year??? Fish jumping into the boat!!! Even that lure in the back of the tackle box that's never caught anything is going to work [:p]

Tried to get back out to Epsom this morning. Went to launch a Bucanner and the owner said 4 foot swells. Everything seemed calm driving by Trail Islands but I guess Welcome Pass was a different story.

Went back and launched at Selma Park and tried off Trail. Hit some bottom fish but no Salmon. Oh well next trip to the Coast.

SIR - I know that Powell River and Lund are technically part of the Sunshine Coast, but I find that a lot of maps/people tend to think of the coast from Egmont to Langdale.

I, for one, include Powell/Lund.... but I think the fishing is generally much better up in your neck of the woods than the South Coast.

Glad to see some talk of the mailand side on this board either way! Hoping to make it up to the coast in the next couple weeks. Have a project going at the family vacation property. Maybe this time I can spare a morning or two and wet a line.

- Paul

Welocome pass can definitely get nasty. Good to hear you had a good trip. By the way the sunshine coast is probably the most miss named place in the province I grew up there and the easiest way to tell locals other than the stanfield tops is the webbed feet. Great area none the less. I can't believe how much it has changed it the last few years. If the weather messes you up next time try launching in porpoise bay and fishing the inlet. It used to produce some decent fish.

Back