stupid question re firearms

lordofthesprings

today a friend purchased a new rifle and we stopped on the way home to fire off a few rounds well off the highway and into a gravel bank and ran into another guy who cuts wood and hes said it was illegal to fire guns unless it was hunting season or at the range ? i find this hard to believe as ive been doing it since i was a kid and no problems as we are always safe not acting like yahoos -- i dont remember there being a rule like this but ive been out of the hunting /shooting loop for a long time - can anybody point me in the right direction ? thx

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy is out to lunch. As long as you are out of the No-Shooting and/or bow/shotgun zones (I believe), have a safe backdrop etc, you are Good To Go. He was simply feeding you a line of BS.

Cheers,
Nog

As long as you are not in a non-shooting area which is all layed out in the hunting regs. There is no closed season for clay targets and pop cans, just go to a safe area that has a good backdrop like a slash pile to shoot into and you wont have any problems. Keep a copy of the regs in the truck and if someone ******* at you you can offer to show him the regs and set him straight.Have fun and be safe...

BTW there are no stupid questions when it's regarding guns, you're WAY better off knowing whats right long before you get to where you want to go.

yeah thx a lot guys he was really cool about it apparantly he was catching some domestic turkeys in the bush he said someone let go about 25 of them he got 11 yesterday super funny story he had a big landing net with him!! around cook crk- maybe he just didnt want us spookin the gobblers!!

Wow.... nothing like shoot first ask questions later eh, maybe before a shot is taken a quick call to the local detachment of the RCMP for some quick info might have been in line here eh ......... responsible gun owners got to be responsible !

I would like to add this: Just because you have the right to shoot does not suggest that you should be exercising your rights every time. IMO it is respectful to show consideration to others using an area and in this case I am sure the fella would appreciate it if you went to another location to shoot so he had better luck trying to capture his turkeys. It is not always the case but there are usually multiple location to practice shoot in the bush. And for the love of god, pick up your trash especially spent shotgun shells!

Another stupid question. I have my Dad's old 30-30. It was never registered. I had a FAC and possesion certificate many years ago. What do I need now if I want to go out and blast some cans? Do I need to take the hunting course? What has changed over the years?

I have never owned a gun but tell me isnt it illegal to have a gun in your vehicle unless you are going from point A to point B (hunting or to a range) , if so how was this fella doing that taking a side road to shoot a few rounds ??? I cant believe that it is ok to be driving around with a gun in the back looking for a spot to shoot off a round or two, if not eveyone would have guns in their vehicles ....... if so wow, Im missing something here !!! (I think the RCMP would know how to handle this and really find it hard to believe he/she would let you do it (out of season) )

PS Private Farm / Ranch land is different I'm sure but a gravel bank far off the hiway , remind me no more picnics near gravel banks off the hiway with my gal for sure LOL

I have never owned a gun but tell me isnt it illegal to have a gun in your vehicle unless you are going from point A to point B (hunting or to a range)...

Your lack of information (aka Ignorance) regarding said matters is glaringly obvious, both in your initial statement (Wow.... nothing like shoot first ask questions later eh) and this one. I initially chose to ignore the first, but am not so inclined once you decided to continue...

The OP noted he had "travelled well off the highway" to find a secluded spot which had a good backdrop "a gravel bank" which would stop the bullets after passing through their target. IMO, that is practicing Safe Usage, and rather much does indicate a "responsible gun owner being responsible".

Don't know where you dredged up the idea it is "illegal to have a gun in your vehicle unless you are going from point A to point B (hunting or to a range"?? Restricted & Prohibited weapons can only be moved under the authority of an ATT (Authorization To Transport) and are limited to range use, gunsmiths, and whatever else the CFO (Chief Firearms Officer) decides to allow for that particular owner. In the case on Non-Restricted firearms (pretty well all hunting rigs), no such restriction exists. There are rules for transport, but none limit an owner to Range or Hunting purpose transport. In effect, as long as the rules of transport ( http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm ) are adhered to, any Licensed Owner (PAL / POL) can carry Non-Restricted firearms in the vehicle pretty much any where, any time. Common sense obviously applies. I have many Friends that are Ranchers & Farmers that have firearms (pest control) in the vehicles 90% of the time.

Might just want to do a little reading (information gathering) on these matters before insinuating the OP and his buddy were acting irresponsibly methinks...

Cheers,
Nog

Another stupid question. I have my Dad's old 30-30. It was never registered. I had a FAC and possesion certificate many years ago. What do I need now if I want to go out and blast some cans? Do I need to take the hunting course? What has changed over the years?

You need to acquire a PAL (possession and aquisition license). See this web site;

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/lic-per-eng.htm

Here is a place that you could take the firearms safety course through;

http://www.pqfg.com/programs/education

Your rifle no longer needs to be registered.

You better renew your Firearms License before proceeding. The FAC has been replaced by the Possession & Acquisition License (PAL) for many years now. Possession of any firearm without that is Illegal (your Pa's old 30-30 is stored at a Buddy's place who has the proper Licensing in hand... RIGHT?! ;)). If you can prove you had the FAC previously and successfully completed a Firearms Safety Course, getting the PAL should be relatively pain free. If you can't, you'll have to take the course which is offered several times a year in many locations: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/safe_sur/cour-eng.htm

If you are not hunting, you will not require the Hunting Course (CORE - http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/education.html ). However if you do wish to engage in that activity, you must have the CORE to acquire your Resident Hunter Number Card and subsequent Resident Hunting License.

If you just want to go out and shoot a few targets, you can do so under the supervision of your Buddy who has the required License, and is storing your Pa's ol' 30-30 for you... No License = No Chance. If found in possession without that, the rifle will most likely be seized, and you will likely be charged for Illegal Possession.

Long guns (such as the 30-30 in question) no longer have to be registered since they did away with that registry.

Cheers,
Nog

LOL! See Mike beat me to it...

Thanks Nog and Mike for helping to educate the public. Nothing more that I can add, but its great that you took the time to teach. It would be great if people learned first and then asked questions, but when that does not happen, we need to be able to provide the information, You two have done an admirable job here.

i believe a possession only license is all that is currently required to own your fathers 30-30---I am sure I will be corrected by all the experts we have on this board if I am wrong..you do not need a PAL and will not likely be charged with illegal possesion of a firearm. That said, someone earlier in the thread was very correct in the fact that most members of law enforcement do not know the rules. Be polite, or even though they may be found to be wrong later it can cause you a lot of grief to get your firearm returned later.

i believe a possession only license is all that is currently required to own your fathers 30-30---

The POL (Possession Only License) is being phased out. Your statement is correct IF you have a POL now, or had one previously which can be renewed. Otherwise, you must get the PAL (Acquisition): http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/renew-renouv-eng.htm

And currently in Canada, you MUST have one or the other to be in legal possession of a firearm - Federal Law.

Cheers,
Nog

thx again nog for clearing that up iwas pretty sure we were legal as i just took my PAL and i took the
CORE 25 yrs ago-- i took my three night course from larry of the PQBfish and game club and it was a great refresher even though ive had firearms for 25 years we are aware of the no shooting zones also - i was looking at the regs and from now on we are "rabbit hunting" when plinking as ive read some stories on other forums now where the CO was being sticky and accused plinkers of poaching - when we were up there we saw the COMMISIONARE in a gold truck never seen this guy before but apparently hes a little sticky

Thanks for the info Nog. I will now call my Buddy and tell him to keep the gun at his place until I can renew my licence.

Your lack of information (aka Ignorance) regarding said matters is glaringly obvious

Might just want to do a little reading (information gathering) on these matters before insinuating the OP and his buddy were acting irresponsibly methinks...

Cheers,
Nog

True !

But .................. never mind , you wont get it because we are on opposite sides of the coin on this one, all I know is no one will ever be shot BY ACCIDENT in my house and thats good enough for me. Also I can guarantee it ....can u ??

Play safe
S-V

i can guarantee it to, if you get shot in your house your doing something wrong. all mine are in a locked safe, unloaded, and the ammo is in a seperate cabinate with a lock on it to.( i'm the only one with the keys and combo) I have shot tens of thousand rounds and no accidents. we are beyond safeas is all of my family and my hunting partners

Back