Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Not necessarily enhancement, that has been tried in the past with little success. What is needed is protection from fishing pressure, especially spring and early summer run Fraser chinook. This is where there must be buy in by Sto-Lo fishers.

Even the ENGO's can see stopping an FSC fishery is next to impossible.

First Nations Rights come before whale rights.

I think they can shut down the early Chinook FSC fishery but instead of area 20 having a slot limit they would have to close that rec fishery.

https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/petition-for-srkw-emergency-order_2018-01-30.pdf

"Ongoing fishing on less productive Chinook populations is contributing to their failure to
rebuild. DFO must move to an approach of maximizing recruitment and rebuilding objectives.
Management of marine Chinook fisheries with the objective of maximizing terminal recruitment
(Rmax) would increase spawner abundance in accordance with rebuilding objectives, addressing
constitutionally protected Aboriginal access to Chinook, and increasing terminal abundance of
Chinook for Southern Residents.

Rebuilding plans must be implemented that accommodate conservation, Southern Residents, and
s. 35(1) constitutional Aboriginal rights before potential commercial and recreational harvest
opportunities are allocated. Rebuilding plans would establish recovery-based escapement
objectives from which harvest control rules can be developed."

Raincoast and its partners, represented by Ecojustice have made recommendations under the following six areas

1. Implement measures to ensure prey availability and accessibility
    • Establish protected Southern Resident feeding refuges
    • Implement commercial and recreational fishing restrictions that maximise Chinook abundance to the Salish Sea and critical habitat
    • implement rebuilding plans for weak Chinook Conservation Units
  2. Implement measures to avoid physical and acoustic disturbance from whale watching vessels
    • Prohibit commercial and recreational whale-watching on Southern Resident killer whales in feeding refuges at relevant times of year
    • Establish distance (200m) and speed restrictions for commercial and recreational whale-watching vessels in proximity to SRKWs,
    • Establish a licensing system for commercial whale-watch operators that view Southern Resident killer whales in Canadian waters.
  3. Implement speed controls for commercial vessels transiting Juan de Fuca and Haro Strait and waters adjacent to the foraging areas
  4. Quiet commercial vessels servicing local routes in Southern Resident critical habitat
  5. Designate additional areas identified by DFO as Critical Habitat
  6. Address the cumulative impact of vessel traffic

These animals have evolved over thousands of years along with the salmon runs to be in locations where they can reliably intercept salmon runs to ensure their survival. These ignorant anthropomorphic notions that they can just figure out where the salmon at any given time expressed on the forum are ridiculous. Historically (thousands of years) up until 50 or 60 years ago there were abundant runs of chinook salmon from spring until fall. Only recently have many of those runs, especially the early ones been severely depleted. For them to swim hundreds of extra miles to find runs when historic ones are not there takes ENERGY. these are high metabolism animals. Maybe they should be reading the fishing reports section of this thread, or calling up the other pods on the Orca phone, channel 26 to get reports to make the search more efficient. They require food all year round. The idiotic notion that because there are salmon at this time of year, so they cant be starving is also prevalent as we see from Ian in the video.

Face it, it's painfully obvious the majority of fisherman on the forum (not all) couldn't give 2 sh*ts about orcas. They care only about how many salmon they are allowed to bonk, and anything that interferes with that can go to hell, or in this case extinct.
There is certainly a lot of ignorance on this issue, a lot of speculation and in some cases a combination of both arrogance and ignorance. To suggest these same whales are incapable of evolving there feeding habits is ridiculous. These same whales ,who have been trained to dunk basketballs in amusement parks for food rewards, are unable to figure out new feeding areas?
You say they would need to swim hundreds of extra miles? You do realize that if they feed at the opening of the Straits where prey is abundant, on their return from seaward they’d swim less and expend less energy, be less affected by noise and pollution!
It’s clear that some have the idiotic notion that they know best and anyone who challenges their assumptions must somehow be stupid. Not to mention thinking that whales need to read fishing reports or monitor radios to find salmon. Try being a little less offensive and respectful in your posts and maybe you can add to the debate in a positive manner!

There is certainly a lot of ignorance on this issue, a lot of speculation and in some cases a combination of both arrogance and ignorance. To suggest these same whales are incapable of evolving there feeding habits is ridiculous. These same whales ,who have been trained to dunk basketballs in amusement parks for food rewards, are unable to figure out new feeding areas?
You say they would need to swim hundreds of extra miles? You do realize that if they feed at the opening of the Straits where prey is abundant, on their return from seaward they’d swim less and expend less energy, be less affected by noise and pollution!
It’s clear that some have the idiotic notion that they know best and anyone who challenges their assumptions must somehow be stupid. Not to mention thinking that whales need to read fishing reports or monitor radios to find salmon. Try being a little less offensive and respectful in your posts and maybe you can add to the debate in a positive manner!

You have a point about that post being somewhat more irreverent than necessary. You seem to be a reasonable person, and it wasn't directed specifically at you, but more what seems to be growing movement of what might be called "Chinook Deniers" on these threads. Followers of the video by Ian believing there is no issue of chinook abundance for SRKW despite virtually all scientific opinion believing there is, (as well as issues with acoustic disturbance and toxin buildups). The fact is no one can say what portion of the SRKW feeding and migration is hard wired, and what is flexible and to what extent. Assuming they somehow have an idea of the "big picture" on salmon abundance as we do I do find unlikely, just as they can not just decide to eat seals as many here believe. The Fact they can learn stupid tricks when confined and starved in a concrete tank is not to me evidence they have infinite ability to mitigate the loss of prey over thousands of miles of coastline that has happened within a relatively short period of time. I do however stand by my assertion that many on this forum are mostly concerned about how many fish they can take, and are willing to "help" the Orcas only to the point that there is no effect on the number of chinook they can bonk.

California, your last sentence was spot on. From what I read on this forum you wouldn't need all your fingers to count the ones that truly care about orcas or chinook productivity.

OMG!! The whole belief that SRKW are too stuck in their ways to find or change feeding habits and would rather starve to death is the stupidest crap ever! Whatever kind of corky dorky science implies if badly flawed. It would imply these orca are among the stupidest animals on earth. Just a couple years ago Chinook salmon, (a fish with a brain the size of a pea), altered their diet to consuming the abundance of juvenile rockfish coast wide. If those whales can't adjust their diet to the smaller Chinook salmon then they are mentally ill or sick!!! NRKW have statistically smaller salmon too. Why can't some people figure that out??? What a crock of s#$t!!!
How come nobody cares to figure out why the whales are sick? What about toxins?? Do we really need to cease fishing if toxins are causing the sickness. This whole issue stinks of lies and deceit. Why are their so many people here that think eliminating whities sport fishing opportunities will ever benefit SRKW? Looserville!!!

Qualified scientists are saying the specific Chinook problem is over the winter period when these whales migrate south off the Oregon and California coast. They are not finding enough fish at that time and now enter the summer fatten up for winter season with less reserves than normal. This would also explain why the NRKW are doing much better.

I have to disagree with you california when you say that most on here are only concerned with how many fish they can bonk. I don't think that is the case at all. I know for myself it really isn't about how many fish I can bonk it is more about keeping the opportunity to fish at all . I personally , and I'm sure most on here that live in the areas of the proposed closures would rather take less Chinook per day or per year as long as the opportunity to get out there and fish still existed.

I guess someone showed their true colours
You know California, I have more love for our wildlife and fish than you could ever know. I care to the point of personally researching water chemistry to find out why productivity has diminished so much. I found out why and it is all in the water chemistry that has been and continues to be ignored. So you may have your understanding from all the headlines and infomercials on the net blaming boats, over fishing, ff"s, ect... but myself and some others who have spent decades on the water believe those are mostly incorrect. I feel the more you keep promoting the speculative desktop bs science the more you are harming the future of sportfishing.
You have also shown your true colors many times here too.

Face it, it's painfully obvious the majority of fisherman on the forum (not all) couldn't give 2 sh*ts about orcas. They care only about how many salmon they are allowed to bonk, and anything that interferes with that can go to hell, or in this case extinct.[/QUOTE]

What??? Really??? Pretty inflammatory statement....

Face it, it's painfully obvious the majority of fisherman on the forum (not all) couldn't give 2 sh*ts about orcas. They care only about how many salmon they are allowed to bonk, and anything that interferes with that can go to hell, or in this case extinct.
What??? Really??? Pretty inflammatory statement....[/QUOTE]

It's not if you care or do not care about Orca's
It about bring in measures that will actually do something to improve their survival.
What we are seeing to date are restrictions that have little or no impact.
They are strictly political posturing.

What??? Really??? Pretty inflammatory statement....[/QUOTE]

They are working in threes to drive the conversation to drive the negative in favor of the environment groups. Just ignore it because if they keep stirring it the thread will be shut down. Haven't you noticed the thread. EricL makes inflammatory statement then California backs him up then we have now Dave. All three of them too be honest need to go on here. Either play nice or leave you three. Same goes on the other thread on whales on conservation thread. Some of us want a discussion here. Not Sunday school. There are plenty of Environmental groups Facebook pages you can get high fives for your comments on here. Maybe might want to join them.

Haven't you noticed the thread. EricL makes inflammatory statement then California backs him up then we have now Dave.
Yes, we have a 3 way conspiracy, because this forum is so important we need to scheme and manipulate it....ericl, dave, You guys good for our weekly forum manipulation strategy meeting tomorrow night?
All three of them too be honest need to go on here. Either play nice or leave you three..
Or what? Is this some kind of threat? Are you the muscle for the forum that strongarms the opinions you don't like? I don't respond to bullies.
Some of us want a discussion here.
Maybe, but clearly not you

Yes, we have a 3 way conspiracy, because this forum is so important we need to scheme and manipulate it....ericl, dave, You guys good for our weekly forum manipulation strategy meeting tomorrow night?

Or what? Is this some kind of threat? Are you the muscle for the forum that strongarms the opinions you don't like? I don't respond to bullies.

Maybe, but clearly not you

I rest my case.

Wow
I believe you couldnt be further from the truth with this comment.

You really think its about putting fish in a freezer?..fk...way cheaper to go buy it at Costco or where ever you may shop.

I think to be out on the water and
to see a healthy ocean with lots of sea/wild life is what we all want,
and yes to have a chance of fishing, maybe catching a fresh bottom fish or maybe its 1 of the other 4 other species of salmon that might be in the area that those brilliant starving orcas cant bring them selves to eat..sorry had to

The people that are in power at this moment in time shut areas down to total fin fish closures for 1 reason, lets be honest here what that reason is, political gains. End of story.

If we are to believe the orcas are starving the government's involved from both sides of border, feds, state, and prov. at the very least should be increasing the output in a BIG way of spring salmon, the SRKW's main diet, temporarily or permanently, whether its ranching them or in hatcheries.

They've made cuts to spring salmon retention(small increase for orcas) in the sporting sector but there's no need to shut whole areas down to a total fin fish closures.

Lets get going and deal with the real issues and see IF it will help these SRKW survive.

Back