Steering with main motor as rudder?

Aridhol

I have a little problem. I recently got a 9.5 evinrude kicker (squat, sat down low) and the regular bracket I have to steer with the main no longer works.
my main is a big 90 horse johnson, can I steer with the kicker locked straight and the 90 in the water acting as a rudder (this is for salmon trolling only)?
It's a 16ft sangster fibreglass, usually with 3 guys so not too heavy/low in the water. I usually fish out of sooke (sec island) if that matters.

If I can't use it like that what kind of steering systems would you recommend?

The 90 has a bracket on the front with a hole but the kicker on the bracket is set pretty far back so theres at least 4-5 feet between them.

I can take pics if that would be helpful.

Pictures always help

You probably could get away with steering with your main, only under absolute perfect conditions. Once there is a little wind, or current, no.

It fine. You need a threaded rod with two snap fitting ball ends.
Small boat easy.

Attach the ball end to that hole you see..Then attach one in front of your kicker.... In my old double eagle I had to make an S shape to make it work...Totally simple. Your boat only 16 those ones are easy to do because you don't have much beam. You can find them at any marine store get a SS one.You have to bend it..There are about 100.00 for a good one.

Go down to Trotac and see Paul/Trev they probably have something down there and can help you.

Like rock dog said on a nice day with reasonable current your idea will work. In the rip off secretary - not a chance. I'm sure you can rig up some sort if steering arm you might need to connect it off the back of the motors though which is a pain to connect/disconnect. Hopefully you can find another option. I've seen them attach at the top of each cowling but you'd probably have to re enforce the plastic or as suggested bend the rod as required.

You probably could get away with steering with your main, only under absolute perfect conditions. Once there is a little wind, or current, no.

this - it will work but sooner or later you're going to get some wind or current messing with you.

Helm response will be slow and in any wind useless. You always need to have the engine that is running turning for proper helm response. SG power also have the threaded rod and couplers to join the main and kicker. Works well but often you will be annoyed by a constant rattle. You will need to be creative in ways of getting a load on the bar to minimize or stop the rattle. I used a bungy cord to pull on the bar and it worked quite well.

At least you lucky I am doing an inboard to outboard connection right now...The out board to outboard I just had is way simpler. Simply connect and away you go....... Probably just using and eazy steer system for now...

I went in and spoke to someone at trotac an showed him some pictures and basically concluded it's a pain in the butt with the motors I have.
My solution for this season is going to be a $40 tiller arm extension and a $5 cushion to sit in the back and steer that way :)
At the very least I'll be really close to the rod when the fish hit.

Next season maybe I'll have a better kicker that works with just a tie bar.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Back