Steering, aft helm on gunnel

What about a kicker?

Great idea man, that would solve it. Just don't know if I can afford that right now. Could always go with just installing the station and steering (tied to main OBs) then eventually move towards kicker (swap steering from main to kick and install controls for kick on station (during Phase 2).

Quick update here, and keen to hear your thoughts guys.

Apparently Evinrude does not support a 3rd helm on their digital throttle/shift system. So my idea of installing controls on the station has been stonewalled. I can still install a steering wheel back there, but no engine controls.

In my view, the helm/steering wheel functionality is the more important than controls back there while fishing. Once I get the lines and riggers set up at the speed I want, I fiddle way more with the tack/course vs the speed (i.e. steering). If I need to tinker the speed, darting inside or to the flybridge isn't that big a deal. In a perfect world, I would have controls and wheel on the steering station, but it does not sound like an option, and I don't want to eliminate either the cabin or flybridge controls / steering as I use both.

Another option that was suggested to me is one of those Garmin autopilot systems (Reactor™ 40 Hydraulic Corepack with SmartPump v2, with GHC™ 50 Autopilot Instrument). I have zero experience with these, and holy smokes they are pricey. Can't say I've ever been a fan of FOB style steering; however, I have also never used one before. If I went this route, I probably wouldn't need a steering station, I would just flush-mount the screen / electronics to that back cabin (starboard) wall below the window.

What would you guys do?
You need an auto pilot.

Agree with Terrin - AP is a game changer, especially in combo with a rear helm and kicker throttle controls. Makes your life so much easier.

Great idea man, that would solve it. Just don't know if I can afford that right now. Could always go with just installing the station and steering (tied to main OBs) then eventually move towards kicker (swap steering from main to kick and install controls for kick on station (during Phase 2).

Whats the use taching all those hours on the main power source? Keep them at boat run time and start stacking those taching hours on a kicker with a warranty. Money well spent

Whats the use taching all those hours on the main power source? Keep them at boat run time and start stacking those taching hours on a kicker with a warranty. Money well spent

Totally agree. I have had kickers on all my boats up until this one. Saving hours on the main(s) is key, and kickers have also saved my bacon numerous times back in the day when I had less reliable power.

Just comes down to straight cost at the moment though. New 15hp kicker is about $4800, add another $1000-1500 for controls, cables, harnesses, battery wiring etc.

That's why I'm considering a phased approach where I do the steering station with a helm and wheel to start (which won't be cheap in itself), then when I can afford it, get the kicker and install the controls on station, and swap the steering station over from the mains to the kicker when it's installed.

Here's a mock-up of the station:

1699725631694.png

The stern station was installed when the boat was made, with kicker controls added later. My cabin has a cupboard/shelf just inside the window in the Alaska bulkhead, so I can leave the tablet totally out of the weather.

I don't have any good photos of the steering station, and I'm 25 km from the boat, but I'll take some later this week when I'm there.

I forgot you wanted a photo until I got the boat home, so we're under my metal shelter. The Volvo controls are closest to the cabin, with a small storage cabinet below them The kicker controls are just behind. The steering is hydraulic and controls either the main or the kicker.

There's locking storage on each side of the cockpit, below open lazarettes for rope, bumpers and emergency fuel - 2 x 2.5 gallons each of gas, diesel and drinking water.

The canvas dodger was life-changing -- it keeps us out of the sun and rain, and rain out of the cabin. We often have the cabin door wide open, even in the rain. There's 6'7" clearance under the dodger. The slope storage canvas zips onto the back edge. This would need modification to allow access to your command bridge.

Ignore the bungees - they were an improvised drying rack after a 6" rainstorm.

20231111_102757.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot you wanted a photo until I got the boat home, so we're under my metal shelter. The Volvo controls are closest to the cabin, with a small storage cabinet below them The kicker controls are just behind. The steering is hydraulic and controls either the main or the kicker.

There's locking storage on each side of the cockpit, below open lazarettes for rope, bumpers and emergency fuel - 2 x 2.5 gallons each of gas, diesel and drinking water.

The canvas dodger was life-changing -- it keeps us out of the sun and rain, and rain out of the cabin. We often have the cabin door wide open, even in the rain. There's 6'7" clearance under the dodger. The slope storage canvas zips onto the back edge. This would need modification to allow access to your command bridge.

Ignore the bungees - they were an improvised drying rack after a 6" rainstorm.

View attachment 99711

Ooh man... that looks mint! Beautiful wood work. Do you have a spot for electronics also or do you just use the one inside?

Ooh man... that looks mint! Beautiful wood work. Do you have a spot for electronics also or do you just use the one inside?
I have a tablet, paired to the chartplotter at the forward station, and I set it on a shelf just inside the window that's above the steering wheel.

The woodwork is a copy of what was there when we rebuilt in 2006 -- with a few innovations and improvements. The original was tired from previous life as a guide boat.

I have a tablet, paired to the chartplotter at the forward station, and I set it on a shelf just inside the window that's above the steering wheel.

The woodwork is a copy of what was there when we rebuilt in 2006 -- with a few innovations and improvements. The original was tired from previous life as a guide boat.

Gotcha. That trim that runs topside of the gunnel and continues up the slope with the "jog" is sweet. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Agree with Terrin - AP is a game changer, especially in combo with a rear helm and kicker throttle controls. Makes your life so much easier.

What am I missing without an autopilot setup? We have one in our sailboat, and it's great, but we crawl along at 5 knots under power on a good day, and there's not a whole lot that can go wrong at 5 knots unless you plot a course directly into granite.

This Hourston will mostly be living in Squamish, and fishing Howe Sound and the south Georgia Strait. The amount of debris that pours out of the Squamish River really doesn't afford any responsible boater with the freedom to leave the helm when you're at speed, so I can't see myself using an AP setup in the Sound whatsoever.

If there are useful applications for trolling, I am all ears. Most of my tacks are pretty tight on structures though, and I just don't see myself relinquishing the helm. I am assuming the AP setups you guys are suggesting would be tied into a plotter so you set your course digitally then sit back?

What am I missing without an autopilot setup? We have one in our sailboat, and it's great, but we crawl along at 5 knots under power on a good day, and there's not a whole lot that can go wrong at 5 knots unless you plot a course directly into granite.

This Hourston will mostly be living in Squamish, and fishing Howe Sound and the south Georgia Strait. The amount of debris that pours out of the Squamish River really doesn't afford any responsible boater with the freedom to leave the helm when you're at speed, so I can't see myself using an AP setup in the Sound whatsoever.

If there are useful applications for trolling, I am all ears. Most of my tacks are pretty tight on structures though, and I just don't see myself relinquishing the helm. I am assuming the AP setups you guys are suggesting would be tied into a plotter so you set your course digitally then sit back?
AP for me gets used at some point every time I troll. I use it every outing setting gear, I use it a lot when a fish is on- point away from the pack and not worry about anything. I also like to follow structure and tend not to use it then. It truly is a game changer in general. I don’t use it running at speed unless on a long straight run. I find it’s very handy in the fog/ dark- not at an irresponsible speed but keeps you on track. I find I can focus on surroundings and get my eyes off the chart / heading when I’m in open water.

AP is a total game changer for me because:

1. I can set my gear running into the wind with ease - not getting distracted correcting for wind as you are trying to set gear
2. I have a remote AP steering fob so I can make quick steering adjustments on the fly without needing to run over to the rear helm
3. Having both AP and rear helm, if I need to make a radical course adjustment quickly I can always do so with the rear helm
4. With AP your time isn't spent making small course adjustments while trolling - instead you are free to work the gear, make changes to tackle on the fly - often prior to having AP I would hold off re-tying gear or getting new gear ready to fish until I was on a down wind tack

To sum up, a game changer because it makes me more efficient running gear optimizing opportunities.

Last edited:
Back