Stamp Report

Steelhead S2

Slow!

We tried for an early start. Half way there, my partner realizes he forgot his wading boots. So we wait for the store to open at eight. Good bye early start, but no big deal.

First stop: gun club. When we arrive, there is one other vehicle, and the young fella is just stringing up. We walk up to a little spot I like above the Bucket and start our morning with presentations suitable to low and very clear conditions. The conditions are not the best for my little sport, so I move back down river and bump into the young fella, in the company of his black dog. His report: nada so far.

Pretty soon we make a move. There are only two trucks at the Falls so we wander down. The gong show is amassed on the far side, but only one other angler on the near side. I chat with him (a visitor from up north) while my buddy scouts around. We worked it for a while. Saw two hooked on the far side, but nothing going on for us. So off we go.

Final stop is Anglers, and we stroll down river till we find a very pretty stretch. No fish there either. But the scenery and the solitude made it an absolute pleasure to fish.

So, this is really a conditions report more than a fishing report. Low and clear. But my first day out since March, and it felt great. Out again on the first, so hopefully this bit of rain brings them in.

Another conditions report... as there were no biters for me. Hit it early this a.m. And I was very surprised that there was no one else out at all. Took a little drive, and even the Falls was empty. Didin`t walk in there, but no one on the BC side. Beauty morning, but zip for fish. Headed home early for one more afternoon of family fun before the dreaded return to work.

Slow start to things for me, but it`s early yet.

Oh, the conditions: low and clear.

Not a lot of steel around neither! It's been dead to say the least! still nice to get out and be hopeful! Dunno whats happening but the run should be well under way! its not!

hotrod

Jetted several times. Plucked our share but with that being said....... Sloooooow with not alot of fish being seen at all.

worthless.gif

Was out yesterday not totally dead, as we did some some coho minnows searching for saltier water lol as for steel there hmmm seems to be a lck of

i personally witnessed a chromer harvested opposite side of the river from me a couple afternoons ago. sighted two tar babies on my side of the river, no clean ones on the dinner plate. nothing hooked for myself. water was as perfect as it gets for the particular spot. pretty tragic.

Did a few late fish show up? Home next week and thinking about poking around somewhere for steel.

Hit it last saturday middle section below the falls. Unbelievably slow. No wild fish, no hatcheries, no kelts, no trout, no sculpin, no boats and no people either. just an eagle and perfect water conditions. great to be out but and i like fishing but I prefer catching so stamp is done for me this year. Slowest year I have ever had on the stamp but maybe that's just me. I would be curious to know if they have done any snorkel counts this year in the lower portion as I suspect there are very very few fish around. would also be interested to know if the hatchery has enough broodstock. Normally I can see some fish splashing around this time of year but I didn't see any sign of fish whatsover.

Last I herd there were 18 wilds at the hatchery and the usually take 70'sh. Looks like MOE got there way and can shut down another steelhead program on the island so they can concentrate on more important fisheries like stocking rainbow trout in the local lakes. We were hoping for a late push here in March but time is running out on anything happening. Good thing there are still a few wild systems around to fill the void.

Last I herd there were 18 wilds at the hatchery and the usually take 70'sh. Looks like MOE got there way and can shut down another steelhead program on the island so they can concentrate on more important fisheries like stocking rainbow trout in the local lakes. We were hoping for a late push here in March but time is running out on anything happening. Good thing there are still a few wild systems around to fill the void.

Wild systems yes, but all streams on the Island are hurting this year. I have confidence they will rebound, it's happened before.

The winter run for this year is dead. Might be some late spring fish but that is life support. Wow...mark this one in the journal and see what happens in a few years, could be catastrophe or could be bionic, but this winter was dead.

Rumour has it the Hatchery is going to let those 17 wilds go and not even have a program this year, not worth the time or money.

Back