Stainless version of the PVC coated prawn traps?

Prawnhunter

How well do you guys think a stainless version of the PVC coated wire mesh prawn traps would go over if you could buy them for around $100.00???:confused:

Ok-- my .25...... Too expensive. Unless a person is really strapped for room on his boat, the round commercials at a 3rd of the price would be my choice. But there is always a Mr Deep Pockets out there...................

True they take up more space, I was just thinking no up keep. Mind ya if ya leave them overnight it would probably be the last ya see of them

Besides the cost of a SS trap just think of the damage caused to crabs in SS traps, that were not zinced properly. The burns caused by the heat those traps put out. Just imagine if the prawns we caught came out with nasty burns it them. If this was a new and wonderful idea would the commercial guys not of already done it? For them it’s all about turning a $... sure a SS trap could last longer but would the prawns even come near them? Have you tried it? Did it produce 1400+ prawns in a set?
I am friends with many commercial prawners that would not even think about it. Things that are tried, tested and true is what they base their living on each and every year.

Yes and to date they are a failure. As their traps sit to long and cause to much damage. It has and is still on going. I wouldn't buy into it.

As for my typo's ...I have no problems reading it. It's is some sort of english to me...Maybe only to me..But that's me..

I am just a guy you say with some sort of ego....It's all good with me..

Not a stupid idea as fishassassin would have me believe? Sooo why then do they continue to walk up the ramp into the trap if it's "burning them"??

Last edited by a moderator:
Untill proven..yes it is.. for a sports fisherman.

Maybe not to a guy tring to sell them though.

I am not here to fight you or anyone....Just stop and listen for more then 5 mins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop Guy's unless I am totally F'ed up.... Which of course I could be...Which I have been many of times ..LOL..Maybe thats not that funny... We are not talking about a SS framed traps.... it is a SS BOX TRAP....Sorry I have never seen one or even heard of one being used...

If the commercial Guy's tried it and proved it..dam I would be all over it....

You know what would be great to see a boxed trap with mesh large enough so the the small guys could get out of. You know the kind of mesh the commercial guys use. I am not a guy that goes after small or med future bugs..

It is not a renewable resource unless we make it....Come on guys.....

Cheers All,

The idea of coating stainless is bizarre. You coat steel to prevent it from rusting out. You purchase stainless steel to prevent having to use coated steel. Coated is less money and hence the reason many traps (mostly offshore produced) are using this material.

As for the product...check out what the commercials use...both crab and prawn...uncoated stainless steel. The zincs are placed in the crab traps because they use two different types of steel...the harder steel for the frames and the softer anealed steel wire for the webbing. If you used the two different without the zinc there would be galvanic action and your expsensive traps would lose their webbing as the frame would affect the softer material. Harder webbing steel is too hard to knit and it would break in the process. Obviously the prawn traps use netting for the cover so the galvanic action is not an issue and, hence, no need for the zincs.

If you want to know what works...check out the commercial boys who do this for a living. They use round 31 inch stainless prawn traps and most use rubber wrapped 31-39 inch steel crab traps with re-bar weights and steel mesh. If they make their living with it (and a damn good one) then I will emulate their efforts (and do with great results).

I have used both the round stainless (commercial) prawn and crab traps as well as the square/rectangular prawn traps and the round stainless works much better for me (and yes I still have some of the square/rectangular mesh ones in garage). On charters I can take 8 prawn traps and 4 crab traps on a 22' vessel and still have room for 5 guests. I cannot do that with the rectangular products. Best set was last March with 2600 prawns in 6 hours.

when at the sportsman show stevenston marine had kufa traps round 28 inches for 39.99. I used some last year and they worked good

i use the commercial traps with the large mesh, rubber coated, 50 bucks max, 100 bux seems too rich for something that does the same thing IMO.. i only get keepers that way,, so instead of the 600 to 800 i used to get , now i get only 200-400 but they are all large and no sorting and no wasted kill.....my traps stay in the water all winter, i check them every 3 to 4 days..my whole family loves the bugs. my 3 yr old daughter sucks the eggs off when they are raw.. scares the newbs on board and usually sets up an entertaining challenge between grown men and a 3 yr old girl. she cleans pronz faster than most of my buddies!!!

I have been finding that the 18" are catching just as much as the 24" and take up a lot less room. No problem fitting a few hundred in a trap if the fishing is hot. The area I have been fishing seems to be bigger prawns the deeper you fish and if your too shallow you get a mix of king shrimp and baby prawns. Gonna offer a version of my 18" PVC with a 7/8" mesh floor to strain out little ones.

How well do you guys think a stainless version of the PVC coated wire mesh prawn traps would go over if you could buy them for around $100.00???:confused:
I have found the PVC coated versions stand up well. That being said there would probably be a market for SS. Anyone I know who has tried this type of trap buys them and sell their round traps unless boat space is too big of an issue.

I'm not meaning PVC coated stainless, stainless instead of PVC coated, but after looking into it the cost to build is too high and leaves no room for profit.
Cheers All,

The idea of coating stainless is bizarre. You coat steel to prevent it from rusting out. You purchase stainless steel to prevent having to use coated steel. Coated is less money and hence the reason many traps (mostly offshore produced) are using this material.

As for the product...check out what the commercials use...both crab and prawn...uncoated stainless steel. The zincs are placed in the crab traps because they use two different types of steel...the harder steel for the frames and the softer anealed steel wire for the webbing. If you used the two different without the zinc there would be galvanic action and your expsensive traps would lose their webbing as the frame would affect the softer material. Harder webbing steel is too hard to knit and it would break in the process. Obviously the prawn traps use netting for the cover so the galvanic action is not an issue and, hence, no need for the zincs.

If you want to know what works...check out the commercial boys who do this for a living. They use round 31 inch stainless prawn traps and most use rubber wrapped 31-39 inch steel crab traps with re-bar weights and steel mesh. If they make their living with it (and a damn good one) then I will emulate their efforts (and do with great results).

I have used both the round stainless (commercial) prawn and crab traps as well as the square/rectangular prawn traps and the round stainless works much better for me (and yes I still have some of the square/rectangular mesh ones in garage). On charters I can take 8 prawn traps and 4 crab traps on a 22' vessel and still have room for 5 guests. I cannot do that with the rectangular products. Best set was last March with 2600 prawns in 6 hours.

Back