Prawn trap colour and size?

Salish Seadog

Im
Mostly interested in colour… has anyone used anything other than black and did you find it affected the fishing? Looking at some green mesh and wondering if this will be a detriment? Pic for colour reference

Also out of curiosity, do you guys prefer 18” or 24” Bauer style traps?

Attachments

• 8EF67CF3-33E6-4E4B-9C08-634326CD4925.jpeg
    8EF67CF3-33E6-4E4B-9C08-634326CD4925.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 50
I have been thinking about getting some cheap dollar store glow sticks and putting them in the traps to attract prawns. Could experiment with different colours of glow to see what works best.

It might be black down there to our stupid ape eyes but maybe the prawns see something. Lots of different coloured fish at the bottom and it's probably for a reason.
This was my thought. I reached out to my uncle who commercial prawn fishes and he didn’t seem to think it would affect it. I might take a shot and fish it with a black one to see. Just didn’t want to invest in a bunch

Also out of curiosity, do you guys prefer 18” or 24” Bauer style traps?

I bought the 24" traps because that was all that was available at the time, crazy supply chain issues. I can't see how any rec prawner could be outgunned with the 18" traps, would prefer those as they occupy less space in boat and are lower purchase cost.

Back