stainless fishing pliers ?

I use these: Dr Slick scissor clamp
https://www.drslick.com/catalog/view_item/clamps/scissor-clamp

If quality is more important to you than budget, the best pliers you can buy IMHO are Van Stahl titanium. I bought a pair many, many years ago, they come with a great lanyard, a nice leather case and I’ve never rinsed or lubricated mine ever and they look like new. They are expensive though. They’re also quite light actually.

Van Stahl titanium and leather case
$325+. Holy crap I had to look at 3 different websites to confirm the price. At that price I could buy new crappytire ones every time I go fishing.

There is no such thing as "stainless" when it comes to west coast salt water and fishing gear. I buy Channellock needle nose pliers and bring them home 3 times a season to run them over the wire brush wheel to clean them up. Then wd40. I hate the feel of thick oil on my gear getting all over bait and the boat. It ain't perfect but it works.

There is its called 316. Most pliers are made from low grade stainless 304 for cost. I had an excellent set of piers from west marine that were 316. Two years through salt I never rinsed them and they never rusted. Unfortunately I dropped then overboard. I have never been able to find another set that good.

OMG I got some Rapalas last year. Have to be the shittiest ( understatement) pliers out there. Corrosion city. They rust worse than cold rolled steel!

The west marine piers sort of looked like these but were long nosed/ without the curved jaws. All made out of 316 stainless. Why it is so hard to design a good pliers is beyond me.

We used to do engineering tests with salt fog chamber at my old work. It is incredible the difference with 304 vs 316.

west marine.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of people use surgeon clamps to remove hooks, Found a pair on the fraser river in the late 1990's and they have held up good.

upload_2019-1-25_18-51-7.png

Last edited:
After going with cheap ones for years and having them rust and lock up, I spent what I thought was a lot of money ($30) for a pair of these. Even though they say freshwater, they are stainless. I’m just hoping they don’t rust and lock up as quickly as the cheap variety.

I guess $30 is actually still really cheap for needle nose pliers!

https://www.cudabrand.com/products/...steel-freshwater-long-needle-nose-pliers.html
Those look like a happy medium. Good one Saxy Boy!

After going with cheap ones for years and having them rust and lock up, I spent what I thought was a lot of money ($30) for a pair of these. Even though they say freshwater, they are stainless. I’m just hoping they don’t rust and lock up as quickly as the cheap variety.

I guess $30 is actually still really cheap for needle nose pliers!

https://www.cudabrand.com/products/...steel-freshwater-long-needle-nose-pliers.html
i have been using cuda needle nose for 3 years, Wolf got me using corrosion block, i use that and they keep working

You guys that keep dropping your pliers over board get yourself small float of some type and attach it to a little lanyard and your plier handle, you don't have to have a wrist strap on all the time if you don't want to and if you drop them it's an easy grab out of the water.

Also boys it's 2019 lol,, there are plenty of manufactures that make ceramic pliers this day and age, ceramic pliers with high grade stainless jaws most of the ceramic pliers float. As well there are numerous aluminum sets out there that have floating handles, won't rust won't sink. Lots of options for less than $50.00

Amazon is your friend.

You guys that keep dropping your pliers over board get yourself small float of some type and attach it to a little lanyard and your plier handle, you don't have to have a wrist strap on all the time if you don't want to and if you drop them it's an easy grab out of the water.

Also boys it's 2019 lol,, there are plenty of manufactures that make ceramic pliers this day and age, ceramic pliers with high grade stainless jaws most of the ceramic pliers float. As well there are numerous aluminum sets out there that have floating handles, won't rust won't sink. Lots of options for less than $50.00

Amazon is your friend.

I don’t see plenty of aluminum or ceramic needle nose pliers at all, let alone for less than $50. Can you provide a few examples?

More options if you have access to Amazon.com over Amazon.ca but here are a few.

Attachments

• IMG_4965.PNG
    IMG_4965.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4963.PNG
    IMG_4963.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4966.PNG
    IMG_4966.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4968.PNG
    IMG_4968.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4962.PNG
    IMG_4962.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4969.PNG
    IMG_4969.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
My apologies in advance if you use these but my son had a set and they were honestly the worst pliers I have ever used. Any amount of pressure used to hold the jaws firmly shut caused the pivot point to twist and open the jaws.

Hey no apology needed, I've never used them I was just crushing the interweb this morning looking for floating fishing pliers and came across those. I like the looks of some of the aluminum pliers myself going to order a couple sets with lanyards. I plan on just having the lanyard clipped on to my bait board or attach a small float to it. With aluminum just a quick rinse and a spray of WD once and a while those things would last years.

Thx for the heads up on those.

There is its called 316. Most pliers are made from low grade stainless 304 for cost. I had an excellent set of piers from west marine that were 316. Two years through salt I never rinsed them and they never rusted. Unfortunately I dropped then overboard. I have never been able to find another set that good.

OMG I got some Rapalas last year. Have to be the shittiest ( understatement) pliers out there. Corrosion city. They rust worse than cold rolled steel!

The west marine piers sort of looked like these but were long nosed/ without the curved jaws. All made out of 316 stainless. Why it is so hard to design a good pliers is beyond me.

We used to do engineering tests with salt fog chamber at my old work. It is incredible the difference with 304 vs 316.

View attachment 42880
I have this pair with the straight nose too. It has hung off the back of my boat for the few years now. Never been rinse or any lubricant sprayed on it. Still looks as new as the day I bought them. Thought all fishing pliers were like this until I read this thread.... only drawback is that there is too much flex when trying to crimp down the barbs on hooks. Hard to crimp properly out on the water. I prefer to do at home with regular pliers.

I have a pair of those yellow handled pair of Cdn Tyre pliers in my boat as well. Yep they rusted up in the first couple of weeks, but a simple dip into the salt water each time loosened them up. Come the winter I use some ATF and acetone mixed in a jar and let them soak for a day or two. I then use this solution to let the padlocks I use on the boat soak over winter. Both the pliers and padlocks are at least four years old and continue to function as designed.

Lots of great info here. Thankyou. Seems most have the same issue. I have lots of pliers and cutters on board, so, before spending a pile of $$$ I decided to get a can of fluid film to keep things working. I'll be researching a bunch of the suggestions you have posted.

Bump for tipup. How do I attach a link from this thread to another?

Back