Square prawn traps

If you can find them get the larger size Baur traps. http://www.prawntraps.ca/ I have no affiliation to the maker but in my experience they work better then the net/round traps, never have to replace the netting but takes up a bit of space.

When I bought mine I emailed the guy that makes them (he is in Sidney BC near Victoria) and he told me that if the traps ever rusted or corroded just email him and he'd fix it for free.

They trap well too and I don't fuss with bungees and such. My friend tried mine and got rid of his round traps and got the same ones as me.

Pic bellow is from my boat. Down here we like to prawn near brentwood bay (when its open) in about 200-260 ft of water.

Attachments

• baur traps.jpg
    baur traps.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 273
Email him and I'm sure he'll get you some quick.

If you can find them get the larger size Baur traps. http://www.prawntraps.ca/ I have no affiliation to the maker but in my experience they work better then the net/round traps, never have to replace the netting but takes up a bit of space.

When I bought mine I emailed the guy that makes them (he is in Sidney BC near Victoria) and he told me that if the traps ever rusted or corroded just email him and he'd fix it for free.

They trap well too and I don't fuss with bungees and such. My friend tried mine and got rid of his round traps and got the same ones as me.

Pic bellow is from my boat. Down here we like to prawn near brentwood bay (when its open) in about 200-260 ft of water.

Definitely Bauers, outfish the round traps big time, take up way more space though.

Definitely Bauers, outfish the round traps big time, take up way more space though.
I had 8 stacking and now 8 of the 18" west coast ones and the new ones take up no more space. Trust me, they just stack better and tuck away nicely. Like Tetris.

Bauer’s do not out fish round traps lol…… used both types many times and they are not better. 18”, 24” size etc also the imitation ones as well.
I completely disagree I’ve fished both side by side even a Bauer and a commercial on same string Bauer’s are usually 2-1

From my experience, with round traps, there is a commercial mesh and a recreational mesh. Commercial mesh is bigger, allowing smaller prawns to escape. The recreational mesh definitely out fishes the commercial. I’ve never fished Bauer style, but their holes look small? So maybe this explains why they fish so good?

People need to focus on the spot rather than the trap. No difference between a small or large box trap.

Besides anyway the daily limit was slashed down so don't really need are box ones anymore.

I fish with 6 of the Square traps, 3 strings of 2. (2-3 people on board) 6 traps catches limits so don't need 2 more on board.
I stack the traps 3 on their ends then 3 flat on top and use bungies to hold them together. Leaves me about the same space as I had with the round traps. The stack is just taller. 17ft boat. Plenty of room.
I had my original traps stolen a couple of years ago and replaced with slightly smaller ones. They fish the same for me.
Not sure if the round or square catch more but the square are way easier to handle. Shake prawns to end with opening and poor into bucket.
The mesh traps were way messier to work, did not last as long and always needed repairs.

Square traps-round traps=no difference. If your round traps aren't fishing check to see if the web on top is tight and no "bagginess". Most people store ground line etc. in the top traps in a stack which causes the web to stretch or settle into the chaff rope winding. What happens when the top web panel is loose the prawns (or a large portion of them) will go at the bait cup from the top of the trap without going inside because they can get close to the bait this way.
With the reduced daily limits I have started using the larger, commercial type mesh and get better quality. Prawns are very dominant and will chase the smaller ones out (allowing more room for larger prawns). I used to think that using tighter mesh would provide a higher yield but was I wrong! Pound for pound the larger mesh fishes better overall. I set 4 trap strings and have done the comparison many many times with 2 of each mesh type and the results are conclusive without a doubt. Anybody looking to buy some tight mesh traps?.....

Box traps are fool proof to use, soo easy and quick to set , i had round commercial and collapsible type, pain in the a$$ to use i cursed them every time i used them lol
I'll never go back to round net style

i want some square traps with larger mesh. f off minis.

Once they read this thread it’s just a matter of time before DFO puts a size limit on prawns.

Last edited:
Back