Sport Fishing Boat Sinks

Just in the process of having a through hull redone which is why we are not fishing.

Also considering having a hose splitter and added length of hose and additional valve added to the raw saltwater wash down pump intake high up above the boats waterline as the washdown pump is mounted high. This would allow the valve to the wash down pump through hull to be closed and the new one opened to the new hose which could be placed in the bilge. The idea would be to add additional pump out capability to the two regular electric bilge pumps in an emergency. Has anyone done this or foresee any problem in doing it?

Anyone have a recommendation for a small hand powered manual bilge pump for additional backup? I don’t have one yet but that also may be a good idea and I see Scotty makes one. Do they work any better than the buckets we have now?
I did this on my boat with tee and a couple gate valves. Close one and open the other. Spring Fever is right in that it doesn't pump much but for the price of a couple valves and a tee, every little bit helps. My suction hose for the wash down pump is mounted every high and then down the transom, so no thru hull. Just one less thing to worry about.

That was one of the best posts I have ever read on this forum fishboy99. Thanks for clarifying . Experience does pay off. If the guide had waited 5 more minutes trying to deal with the incoming water instead of recognizing that he couldn't deal with it , this story would have probably had a tragic ending. That guy deserves a big pat on the back. In my experience that amount of water and speed of ingress is not caused by a blown thru hull sounds more like hull failure of some type.

beemer
www.C-TowVictoria.ca

Folks,

I guess I better speak up and inform the folks on this form what happened this morning, and quell some of your speculations on what took place, where it took place, size of vessel, and a couple of other items. I don’t normally respond to posts such as these, as almost everyone has an opinion, and I respect their opinions, right or wrong.

The incident happened just south of Scott Islands, near Cape Scott, this morning, just before 8am. The boat had just arrived and deployed the anchor, when the guide went to the back of the boat to set the gear and noticed that the stern was lower than normal, he then opened the floor storage hatch and noticed water in the bilge, rising quite quickly. Called our two closest boats, who were 1 and 1.5 km away, then contacted Coast Guard. Guide then cut the boat free from their anchor; motored toward the closest boat, which had already cut loose from their anchor and was almost there. The boats then met, and the guests then stepped off the boat, onto the other boat, transferred a bunch of gear, and then the guide finally left the vessel. The vessel then went nose up and then under.

A couple of points:

The vessel was a 23’ Aluminum with a 200hp main and an 8hp kicker.
The vessel only had 160hrs on it, and it was not one of our regular boats. It was a new to addition to the charter fleet. We do have another brand new boat also, a 26’ Bruce Cope designed aluminum, with the 2nd Cope boat arriving sometime later this summer.

The vessel that went down is a very popular production boat, and many, possibly hundreds, have been made in the last decade or so. Many are used by other lodges, day charters, and rental fleets throughout the Pacific Northwest, and yes, there are a few working out of the Ucluelet/Tofino and Winter Harbour areas.

All three persons on board were experience boaters, with the guide having decades of experience, with almost 10 years in with us in this area.

We don’t know why the vessel took on water, all hatches were closed and dogged, the boat was in great shape, with an ocean going reputation. The weather was 5knts, and just under a half meter sea.

Just a side note, the weather patterns 30 miles to the south of us are quite different than what we have here, this is why the north Island weather reports are separated into North of Brooks Peninsula and South Brooks; what you may experiencing in South Brooks can, and most likely, be different than what you would get even one mile north of Solander. Please don’t speculate on what the weather is up here unless you were here, or have at least read the local reports.

Some of you like to bash the Coast Guard, DFO, RCMP Marine Det, and the commercial fleet, but when you are out there, all alone, and **** hits the fan, these folks are the ones that will risk it all to get you back. When the call was made, the Tully was about 29 miles away, and they made a beeline to the vessel. Cannot give the SAR teams and everyone else who are involved in keeping the waters safe enough credit.

All we lost today was a boat, just a piece of aluminum, glass, and paint, completely replaceable. What we didn’t have was a tragic situation, mostly due to the training that the crew have done in the last couple of years. I would recommend to anyone, including those boats traveling alone, either as a single boat charter or private vessel, buddy up or at least travel in packs, as when things happen, seconds do matter. Carry PLB’s (EPIRB’s are nice but they are meant for larger vessels, farther from shore), have proper communication equipment (cell phones are not it), have a ditch plan and go over it with the people on board, wear quality floatation gear, and do not panic when it does happen, just do what you have prepared for.

We can only speculate what happened to the hull for it to take on water the way it did. I would like to think that the plug fell out, but a 3/4” bung hole will not take a boat down that fast, as it happened in just a couple of minutes. We are thankful that everyone is safe, as that is the only thing we are concerned with.

Best wishes on your fishing this summer, and if you are in the harbour, stop in and say Hi.

Regards,
Fishyboy

Sounds very interesting....must be a serious weld failure or BIG thru hull failure for it to take on water that fast. and given the fact that he was motoring towards the other boat and that didn't at least slow the issue substantially or allow the bilges to catch up.............very interesting. . I would assume that boat had at least 2 BIG bilge pumps on it..... I would definitely be interested in seeing the salvaged vessel and the cause of the issue...a worthy operation to find out WTF happened...because something is seriously amiss.

It was a Qualicum 19 foot boat that sunk 2 years ago, first week in August, 3 Americans and their guide died. We were out the same day only 30 miles south of there. We were trolling sideways to the waves at one point and a huge 10 foot breaking wave hit us with only 5 seconds of seeing it coming and the boat rocked pretty much 180 degrees a couple of times. My cousin almost went overboard, he was lucky enough to grab a "Oh **** Handle" in mid air! The 19 foot open shells are pretty small boats for the west coast, especially with the center console design. One big wave would fill it up. I guess it would cost too much for the lodges to justify buying bigger boats.

You just made my point for me after slagging me. After guiding over here for over 25 yrs i8 will argue with anyone that he west coast of the Island is no place for a 19 ft guide boat that HAS to go out almost everyday.

just sayin...

You just made my point for me after slagging me. After guiding over here for over 25 yrs i8 will argue with anyone that he west coast of the Island is no place for a 19 ft guide boat that HAS to go out almost everyday.

just sayin...

Hey I wasn't slaggin you, was just quoting the "just sayin" that you and 2 other guys said before me! Anyways, yes, I don't think anyone would argue about how small boats are not as safe as bigger boats on the west coast

a lot of people are not going to like my 1st post on here but i feel i have to chime in. 1st of all i've guided many years in the queen charlottes at many lodges, which most of you know, many use 18-20' aluminum boats which are as safe as any on the coast, many are double hulled and foam filled and will not sink, i own one myself and would take it anywhere pretty much ( not in any conditions mind you). i don't think the boat or size is the issue here. one thing i will point out here, that no one else has, is this. if you are going to anchor anywhere off the west coast to fish you are asking for trouble, all you people that do this, in my opinion are nuts, i have never seen anyone do it at the lodges in haida gwaii when i've been guiding there. we just drift and motor mooch or jig the slack tides. you have no idea when the mother of all swells will hit ya and if you are anchored it's game over before u know it. like what happened at winter harbor last year. i'm not saying that's what happened here, but when i hear about you guys being anchored up there i just shake my head in disbelief. that practice should be banned period. if i owned a lodge anywhere on the west coast and heard of any of my guides anchoring, they would be fired on the spot. and fishyboy99, i assume you are right back out there at anchor tomorrow, are you not?? more disasters just waiting to happen imho. sorry had to get that rant off my chest.
cheers and stay and play safe, nicnat

Foxsea-your math on the 3 holes you gave is suspect-It would take a larger hole than what you specified to do that. Anyone of my 3 bilge pumps would have handled the 3 holes you specified. ...even the 2 inch hole won't put 1 ton of water on board in 10 min. My point is this-have a look at all the thru hulls you have and especially the sizes as foxsea noted{his statistics on holes is correct) then get the bilge pumps to handle the failure of any or all of them with redundency of at least one pump. They may buy you some time. No my friends this was not a mere thru hull failure-the math doesn't support the hypothesis!!!

Sorry for the confusion. I agree that checking thru-hulls, double clamping and using high-quality hoses is mandatory. 3 points:
1) The numbers are for discussion - a 2" hole allows about 1900# of salt-water into the boat in 10 minutes. (1365/6X8.4#per gal.) - 4 X faster than the 3/4" hole!
2) Additional weight means that batteries are flooded with salt-water and bilge pumps are useless.
3)As a boat sinks, the hole is deeper in the water, creating head pressure so the boat sinks quicker.

Have a plan, rehearse it and when the time comes, act fast!

Sorry for the confusion. I agree that checking thru-hulls, double clamping and using high-quality hoses is mandatory. 3 points:
1) The numbers are for discussion - a 2" hole allows about 1900# of salt-water into the boat in 10 minutes. (1365/6X8.4#per gal.) - 4 X faster than the 3/4" hole!
2) Additional weight means that batteries are flooded with salt-water and bilge pumps are useless.
3)As a boat sinks, the hole is deeper in the water, creating head pressure so the boat sinks quicker.

Have a plan, rehearse it and when the time comes, act fast!

I don't doubt those numbers at all! That time my buddy and myself almost sunk our 16 foot aluminum it was unreal how fast the boat filled with water. And that was only a half inch hole. In 2 minutes after stopping the boat there was probably 500 or 600 liters in the boat. Then we pinned it towards shore. The boat was at a 45 degree angle doing 5 mph at full throttle!

I don't doubt those numbers at all! That time my buddy and myself almost sunk our 16 foot aluminum it was unreal how fast the boat filled with water. And that was only a half inch hole. In 2 minutes after stopping the boat there was probably 500 or 600 liters in the boat. Then we pinned it towards shore. The boat was at a 45 degree angle doing 5 mph at full throttle!

Thank Gawd - I'm not the only one! ...damned near sunk my old Malibu by forgetting the plug. I managed to get it back to the ramp and beached it but a near-run thing. The boat seemed to be running in molasses. It was shocking how quickly the water came in.

Thank Gawd - I'm not the only one! ...damned near sunk my old Malibu by forgetting the plug. I managed to get it back to the ramp and beached it but a near-run thing. The boat seemed to be running in molasses. It was shocking how quickly the water came in.

Hasn't everyone done that before? Nothing like learning the hard way! While we are confessing stories, I learned the hard way about maintenance before too, or lack of. My cousin and I bought an old piece of **** way back when we were teenagers. It was all we could afford. We knew there was a "small" fuel leak and the old Chrysler inboard also needed a tune up because it would backfire once in a while. Well, my cousin was driving the boat and I was waterskiing (no we didn't have a spotter, just the 2 of us). It was almost dark and all of a sudden all I could see in front of me was a HUGE inferno!!! The instant flames pretty much pushed my cousin overboard. He was lucky, just ended up with no eyebrows and really singed hair. Of course, it had to happen right in front of the campground on this lake on a long weekend about 200 yards from shore with an audiance of about 500 people. A guy with a seadoo came to pick us up and another guy with a boat towed the burning boat in for us. It sank about 20 feet from shore then we had to winch it out of the lake. Anyways like I said, nothing like learning the hard way!

Hasn't everyone done that before? Nothing like learning the hard way! While we are confessing stories, I learned the hard way about maintenance before too, or lack of. My cousin and I bought an old piece of **** way back when we were teenagers. It was all we could afford. We knew there was a "small" fuel leak and the old Chrysler inboard also needed a tune up because it would backfire once in a while. Well, my cousin was driving the boat and I was waterskiing (no we didn't have a spotter, just the 2 of us). It was almost dark and all of a sudden all I could see in front of me was a HUGE inferno!!! The instant flames pretty much pushed my cousin overboard. He was lucky, just ended up with no eyebrows and really singed hair. Of course, it had to happen right in front of the campground on this lake on a long weekend about 200 yards from shore with an audiance of about 500 people. A guy with a seadoo came to pick us up and another guy with a boat towed the burning boat in for us. It sank about 20 feet from shore then we had to winch it out of the lake. Anyways like I said, nothing like learning the hard way!

Great story!!!
Always an audience but that kind of teenage adventure could have got you a great date from amongst the onlooking, sympathetic girl crowd! lol
Looking back, these are great stories because we survived. A buddy used to say "If you never dropped your motorcycle it was 'cause you never really rode it."

First I would like to say that I an very thankfull for the news the guys are ok. It sounds like the great training put into place by the lodge and its guide made the outcome the best it could have been..The boats were travelling together which allowed this to be a rescue rather than a recovery .Anyone who has been to the Scott islands via Winter Harbour knows the water and weather can turn very nasty very quickly . I spend approx 100 days per year fishing somewhere on the coast, so although I am not a fulltime mariner I have made some observations over my 30 years on the water .All lodges on the coast have an obligation to their guests to provide the best SAFEST experience possible. At times this has them going out in marginal weather and water conditions . The policy of the lodges, and the experience of the guides determine when weather limitations prevent boats from fishing in open waters . There have been many instances when I have been coming in from the open water around Winter Harbour due to the weather and I have passed small 19 ft boats anchored still fishing many miles from shore or other boats. Smartest choice to stay fishing?? probably not, I just hope that the pressure to produce for their clients does not get in the way of staying safe . I have a 28 ft boat with twin outboards and a kicker and I would not wish to be in anything smaller in those waters

glad to hear your guest and Mike made it out of the boat Rob - very scary stuff. Mike is one of the most knowledgeable guides I've ever been around, I'm sure his experience is what kept them alive.

In fairness to the lodge, the 19' boats they run handle rough water better then most 25' boats. 19' sounds small but they handle like you wouldn't believe.

I too have seen these boats out fishing. They take the rough water well. Nice to see them all leave the dock at 0500 hours. Early birds get the worms...........BB

Has this boat been salvaged yet? Any identifiable reasons it sank, rather than just speculation? We need some facts as to why it actually sank. The skill and experience of the guide clearly saved lives. Maybe we could all learn something from the cause of this drastic failure.

-FB-

http://www.admiralyacht.com/admiral-news/crash-test-boat-leaking.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ajlk5VCQ8&feature=relmfu

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-s5230.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUg3TUmnQBs&feature=relmfu

Did a little research - Watch these for a sense of what it is like when a thru hull fitting or the hull fails and how fast the water comes in and ways to stop it if you have the time. The use of vegetables was surprising and I have heard of a guy saving his boat with a tee shirt.

There is also a video on how a ball valve can seem totally fine from the outside and appear to work but be completely broken up and missing on the inside.

Looks like getting one of those orange cone things (Forsepar true plug), a softwood bung set, and some of the “Stay a Float Moldable Polymer” as well as tools/hammer, ducktape, heavy plastic and rubber sheeting etc. is a good idea. That and regular inspection and maintenance.

The thru hull I just had replaced is in a very difficult location to inspect and work on, even out of the water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry if I'm splitting hairs but the statement above is not true.
Never the less, if you are sinking assume you are sinking faster and faster.

I have seen a number of inboards go up in flames over the years. I will NEVER own one!!! An they are a real rash to repair.$$$$$

http://www.admiralyacht.com/admiral-news/crash-test-boat-leaking.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ajlk5VCQ8&feature=relmfu

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-s5230.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUg3TUmnQBs&feature=relmfu

Did a little research - Watch these for a sense of what it is like when a through hull fitting or the hull fails and how fast the water comes in and ways to stop it if you have the time. The use of vegetables was surprising and I have heard of a guy saving his boat with a tee shirt.

There is also a video on how a ball valve can seem totally fine from the outside and appear to work but be completely broken up and missing on the inside.

Looks like getting one of those orange cone things (Forsepar true plug), a softwood bung set, and some of the “Stay a Float Moldable Polymer” as well as tools/hammer, ducktape, heavy plastic and rubber sheeting etc. is a good idea. That and regular inspection and maintenance. The through hull I just had replaced is in a very difficult location to inspect and work on, even out of the water.

Great recommendations rockfish. As you mentioned most sport boats have very difficult placements of thru hulls and trying to locate which one has blown when the bilge area is half full of water is near impossible.I have attended to and raised quite a few vessels off the bottom in my line of work in the past few years and I can honestly say that all of the sinkings were due to lack of maintenance or inexperience. The speed at which this boat sank leads me to believe that it was a hull failure. It is very unlikely that the boat will be recovered due to current and depth.

Every boat should have a laminated card of what to do in a emergency that is easily understood by a non boater(very often it is the captain who gets in trouble).and a marine vhf!

beemer
www.c-towvictoria.ca

I lost a rudder in a V-drive years ago. I stuffed a tee shirt in the hole, but, I was already ankle deep. I only have 6” freeboard and no bilge, so a little water makes a big difference. The 1200gph was working but the waves were relentless swamping me every time, it’s now equipped with 2 1200gph. but it still crosses my mind when im out.

Back