Shout Out To All Salmon Anglers....Lost Oar..

Dave H

In a disaster of near historic proportions, a local Tyee rowboat crew managed to have an oar escape their boat while they were engaged in netting what turned out to be a Tyee wannabe, weighing but 21 pounds but fighting like it was much bigger.
The Chinook was hooked by accident as they were actually engaged in fishing for Cabezon, in a fruitless attempt to usurp my title of King Of The Cabezons, one much cherished by yours truly.
Obviously, they are amateurs at Cabezon angling if they can only hook Chinook.
I scoff at their efforts.

The oar was lost near the ferry terminal at Campbell River so could be anywhere in the area, given the tides these days.

The hapless crew of the rowboat were rescued after a long period of time during which they were observed to be rowing in circles while loudly lamenting their situation.
Numerous words used during their lamentations would be unsuitable for a nice site like this so shall be left unmentioned, suffice it to say that the loser is an old truck driving man and has an extensive vocabulary.

Should anyone find a single oar please let me know and I'll arrange to retrieve it.

Thanks.

Take care.

In a disaster of near historic proportions, a local Tyee rowboat crew managed to have an oar escape their boat while they were engaged in netting what turned out to be a Tyee wannabe, weighing but 21 pounds but fighting like it was much bigger.
The Chinook was hooked by accident as they were actually engaged in fishing for Cabezon, in a fruitless attempt to usurp my title of King Of The Cabezons, one much cherished by yours truly.

The oar was lost near the ferry terminal at Campbell River so could be anywhere in the area, given the tides these days.

The hapless crew of the rowboat were rescued after a long period of time during which they were observed to be rowing in circles while loudly lamenting their situation.
Numerous words used during their lamentations would be unsuitable for a nice site like this so shall be left unmentioned, suffice it to say that the loser is an old truck driving man and has an extensive vocabulary.

Should anyone find a single oar please let me know and I'll arrange to retrieve it.

Thanks.

Take care.
Did this hapless vessel not have an outboard motor, or did the captain fear everlasting stigma from his or her Tyee Pool compatriots if he had engaged said infernal combustion engine in this sacred place of legends and rules? Surely there would have been some compassion in such a dire situaion.

I actually did find a single oar, but highly doubt it is the missing item, because of slight complications of both time and location; I found it in about 1978, and about 50 nautical miles southeast of Campbell Crick. I only write of this out of boredom, to take my mind off of the dull task of observing the pitiful efforts of my three fans running full bore in my non-AC abode, during this ungodly heat wave.

Oh, and the oar I found was also actually just a piece of an oar. Luckily, it was the handle end, which made a dandy combo gaff-bonker. After serving its time on the water, it now rests on my wall of memories.

Now back to our regular program.

Thanks.

Take care.
:p

Back