Spooling Shimano 4000GT

abbyfireguy

Just a quick question about spooling line onto two new Shimano 4000GT's.
Should I put back on first or not?

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

You don't have to but it would be a good idea. Those reels hold a ton of line and a little backing to cushion the spool wouldn't hurt.

Yes Please use Dacron Backing on those reels, I had one blow up on the biggest fish of my life, And Snap there she goes, im guessing well into the 50 pound range.

I switched to the Trophy reels now. But i still pull out the old shimano for the center rod, Love the sound of those reels when they get smashed!

-Steve

Backing not required. There was a problem with the original batch of these reels. I had a friend who put backing on his reels and he was darn near spooled when we got into a pair of big fish---drag winched down and rod was corked. Backing is a waste of money.

I own a rack of these reels and have no backing on any of them. I have never broken one or had to replace one. Have had them since 2003. The only thing I do to them is replace the line. I use 25lb Ultra Green and hand spool each one of them.

I do recomend tighting down the handles as soon as they are bought. As well as the 3 screws for the reel seat(under the spool).

I searched the topic on here earlier this week. Many stories about broken reels and several that said they never had any problems. So I put about 100yds of backing on the new 4000GT Moocher Plus I just bought. Just looked at my reel, warranty and parts page, only thing I can find was that the box was printed in 02/2007. Who knows if this is the improved model. Backing plus 350+ yds of mono. Backing was 12 bucks, will be on there forever and I still have 50 yds left for a fly reel if I need it. If the fish can run a quarter mile, with out me chasing it in a small, easy to manouver boat, it deserves a second chance.

I have never used backing on mine (they are about 5 years old) I did have one explode and I sent the spool back and Shimano warrantied it.
I use my gear LOTS!

Definattly put backing on any reel as you save on putting line on that you never ever use all you need is about 200+ yds of mono any more your really wasting it backing is great cushining. and it saves reels have had so many GT 4000 blow up as they were are lodge reels.

Great reels when you look after them

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:backing is great cushining.

The stretch of mono is incredible just grab a piece about 4 ft long wrap around your hands and tug watch how much it stretches back and forth now think of it 70 ft down on the rigger all day long playing fish,kelp,seals.etc. then you put your rod away for the night now its starts to "cool" down and starts to try and go back to its what it once was it gets tighter and tighter then pop the spool snaps.

Remeber the old peetz reels they used to put 150 yds plus of dacron on them just for the same reason as it would warp the wood.

It may not happen but why take a chance!!!!!

Wolf

Cheers All,

IMHO backing is the norm and not the exception on MOST reels. As Wolf said one very rarely uses the entire spool of line and, by spooling 1/3 of the reel with dacron, backing does reduce the amount of line one has to replace. However; I don't use backing to save money on line: I use backing to save money on blown up reels.

I consider Islander Precision Reels to be amongst the best reels for salmon fishing. They are machined out of bar stock aluminum and are almost bullet proof. Should you ever talk to Barry (General Manager at Islander) he can tell you (or even show you as he keeps a couple on his desk) Islander Reels that have blown up due to no backing. The monofilament line has literally exploded the reels from within. Very similiar to the mahogany Petz reels many of the old timers will recall. So...if they can do that to a quality metal product they can do that to a Shimano 4000 (or almost any other reel you wish to mention). I have a couple of Shimano 4000's on board and they have backing.

However; one needs to think about why this occurs and the cure for this problem then becomes obvious. Monofilament has a high water content and, as such, provides a natural stretch to the material. Reeled in under pressure the line wraps around the arbour tightly. When it dries out it shrinks and exerts pressure around the arbour as well as laterally against the sides. Usually the sides blow out before the arbour. Putting backing simply reduces the amount of line that exerts pressure against the arbour and sides.

The cure is obvious. Enjoy your reel. Enjoy your day. Enjoy your fish but, when you are done every single solitary day, reel your line out and bring it in without tension. If you did this you would never have any problems with blown reels. Unfortunately too many forget, don't care or are too tired to properly look after this easy fix. It's like the old Fram commercial: Either you pay me now or you pay me later.

I split one Peetz reel in my first year of fishing (many years ago). That's all. I do use backing but I also ensure that I take care of my equipment and that includes taking the 3 minutes at the end of every single trip to ensure my line is not going to damage my equipment. I depend on it and, because I do, I ensure it is looked after.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

I agree with Wolf & Fishing Guide. Dacron on any reel with mono over 15# test.

I've crushed spinning reels, a Diawa M1 & a Peetz. Never crushed an aluminum arbour though, that's a wild story about Islanders.

The stretch in the mono's just like a boa or python, stretch & the tightening works its way right down to the arbour.

I wouldn't think anyone who completely changes their mono out in a season would have a problem unless it was used daily, but for sure you can bust a reel in 2 years.

The dacron never rots or deteriorates, so it'll last as long as I will, and you just change out 150-200 yd mono as needed.

Join with an Albright knot, with the top shot mono tag being the loop and the dacron tag tied around the loop. Another method would be a splice. If you're afraid of being spooled with your mono, I tear 1/4" adhesive tape & wrap my albright knot so it doesn't hang on, or pop-out at guide ring coming or going.

Cheers!

Back