Spooling downrigger cable - right way\wrong way ?

RCA Dog

Is there a wrong way to spool new cable onto a downrigger ?

The reason I ask is that I had a breakoff last weekend, so bought a spool of 180 lb x 400 ft. I spooled it onto the downrigger under moderate tension, and had no problems. As soon as I was fishing, when I got to a spot that was about 380 feet, I let all the cable out with only an 18 lb ball attached, let it sit for a few minutes with the boat in neutral to get out any twist that may have developed. I then brought it in under the tension of the 18 lb ball.

I fished with it that night, then the next, and no matter what I do, it will not spool properly. I get big loose wraps seemingly at random, and it sounds like the DR is jumping. It's hard to believe I end up with loose wraps with 18 lb balls, but it's a borderline rat's nest. I'm wondering if maybe I spooled it backwards and that if I turned the cable end for end it might help.

This is the Scotty 180 lb stainless cable. I would have bought the 150 lb, but they didn't have a 400 ft spool. Did I just get bad cable ?

RCA

I'm having the same issue with pp braid I put on last mOnth. Sort of a binding sound then jumping. Small loops tho and only on one dr. I'm thinking it's the recoilier thing on the dr not spooling it back on right.

Recoiler thing ? What's that ?
I checked my fairlead sheave, it's turning and not mangled, the auto stop slot is not plugged full of junk, after that there's just the drum.
I was actually thinking of switching to braid if I can't figure it out, as my braid downrigger has been flawless. I don't want to turn this into a braid vs wire thread, though, I'm just wondering what the hell is the matter with either my cable or my downrigger ?

Make sure the eye on the boom hasn't been bumped out of alignment. If it up or down from centre it will cause the line to feed improperly on the drum.

If the boom bent at all, it will cause this. Can be a slight bend and cause it to only load on bottom and then the jumping and tangles.

If the boom bent at all, it will cause this. Can be a slight bend and cause it to only load on bottom and then the jumping and tangles.

Thats for sure, I had a bent boom on one of mine and the only way to get it to work properly
was to adjust the fairlead so it was angled up enough to load the line evenly.

Exactly as said above I've got mine angled up works perfectly. Take it to Scotty for anything and they adjust it to level and the spooling messes up. I adjust it back up and it's fixed. Did this in a buddy's boat too if its level try tilting it up a little.

The boom is straight. How do you mean angle it up ? Do you just hold it up on an angle ? I can't see that working too well when you have a fish on. Or do you put a wedge between the base and the mount ? My fairlead swivels on the end of the boom, I thought that was how they are supposed to be ? Taking it to Scotty might be an option if I ever get to Victoria, but that doesn't happen too often, and I don't want to be without a DR for a couple of weeks if I send it.

adjust this thing which should be on the middle of your boom up or down so the line spools more evenly.

Attachments

• 1140_Fairlead.gif
    1140_Fairlead.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 300
The thing I was talking about was the autostop unit(I think) that wiggles around that the power up button is on. Kind of goes back and forth.. thought it might be something to do with that.

Just ran out and looked, both my boom fairleads are angled down a bit but one is faced to the bow and one stern. Would that make a difference? I thought everyone runs it like that? Looks like you have to. That is the only difference I can see between dr's. Are yours like that RCA? I had the same issue when I was running wire.

I actually called Scotty about this a few weeks ago as I didnt notice the loops and wasnt sure if the binding noise could be coming from my motor. He said to pull the belt off and see if it still did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh ha ! Now I see. Thanks for the pic tubber. I was calling the fairlead the sheave on the end of the boom. I will definately check the part pictured.

Well tubber hit the nail on the head. Thanks ! I adjusted my sleeve, it was way too high, now the line spools perfectly. It must have gotten bumped somehow, and fairly hard too, as the screw was pretty tight, and I couldn't adjust it by hand without loosening the screw.

Back