spawners in rivers

bee15

howcan salmon spawn in rivers if the ones thatmanage to get back are are taken out of the river. i would think those are the best to spawn the start of a wild run of fish. catch the spawners then wonder why no fish??

So the reason for no fish is because we catch fish in the river. Its not because of the 100+ boats fishing the hump or the lighthouse in nootka sound or on the bank at any given time and its not the commercial boats that skoop up hundreds of fish at a time. Its not the natives netting the rivers, its not the fish farms and lice, its not that we are killing the environment and the world is changing. Its the people that maybe cannot afford a boat or pay the 1.39 per litre of fuel or just plain enjoy river fishing, they are the problem. Makes alot of sense to me...not

all those things add up abut the salmon who make it through would be the prime spawners. lots of people cant afford boats. but they have them anyway. we all know no-one is too blame for the lack of fish although its a small wonder there is any salmon around at all.something has to give out there, and it isnt going tobe any volunteer from the user groups you have mentioned. hatcheries apparantly are not the answer maybe letting the fewwho get through spawn, would be good, just a thought.that isif hopefully there is still a river good enough to do it in left i personally eaw the mouth of cowichan river boilingwith large black spring salmon being snagged and caught by sport fisherman not unlike nitinat used to be not long ago. untill one year alec merriman said in the paper there was no springs being caught there anymore duh. it was 4 a day then no limit per year and most guys got there limit, before they lefteach day. commercialguys are backed way off now and natives are going out of favour fast, environment protection is finally getting recognized. we all want fish, but we all gotta give up something, theres more of us everyday and everyone wants their share. i can understand you would be pissed if no retention in river and then dfo opens river to native nets. then we should shut down roads too, theres enough of us to do it. and do it well.

There will come a day when Freshwater targeting of Salmon will end, maybe not in my lifetime but it's coming, because it is insupportable within a conservation oriented management strategy.

kidphotors6.jpg

salt water limit will bereduced to 10 a year along with lots more closures soon i think, hope fully the salmon are plentiful again with in both our lifetimes dee dubb.

I am in support of a reduced annual take; however, while it might stop the few meat hunters, I now don't think a 10 a year limit would change the kill ratio for most fishers and therefore wouldn't reduce the overall sportfishery take. We have potentially 4 licenses in our family and have taken 8-9 Springs on them this year to date (although my boat and a friend or two have seen perhaps 20 - thanks to Port Renfrew.) Ten a year would still allow my family 40 Springs - no thanks.

It would be interesting to know what the average take is per license and then per regular fisher. A 10 per year limit may in fact kill more fish as people continue to weed through the smaller fish for that one 40 pounder for the year with 9 on their license. Anyone got 9 on their individual license this year?

On the same note, I earlier thought an annual halibut quota would be good as well. Having fished them a bit this summer I'm changing my stance. I think an annual limit might stop the meat hunters but really would not reduce the overall sportfishery take. People would simply be tossing back small, potentially dead, fish for larger ones.

I will kill what my family needs (we don't eat that much fish) within the limits provided by DFO.

As for whether they are caught in the river or ocean, it's a personal choice.

I agree with Dogbreath, there will come a time when freshwater targetting of salmon will end.

I agree sport river Salmon harvesting days are numbered. Salt possesion limits will be reduced as well. The only way to prevent high mortality from high grading is to introduce maximum size limits as well. I know everyone hates slot limits, but that is the only way to protect the large breeding stock. Everyone is going to have to learn to be satisfied with a quick picture or a replica mount for the big trophy fish. The only other choice is get used to far less fish with ever decreasing average sizes. Commercial Salmon harvest will be extremely curtailed in coming years as Salmon populations spiral ever downward. The inevitable outcome is total closures unless everyone learns to be satisfied with harvesting far less in the short term.

The regs will have to change along with our attitudes towards harvesting and sport fisheries. The salmon definitely need a break from all of us. With less impact on the salmon we also have hope for steelhead to recover in many watersheds.

Back