South island go to gear...

JWS

Crew Member
So my family and I are moving to the island this weekend, so I need to start putting my own kit together.

What are your go to flashers, spoons, hootchies, jigging set ups for the victoria/sooke area?

Thanks in advance

Green hotspot flasher, anchovy teaser head colour of choice, 72 inch leader. Or couple that flasher with an AP spoon.
I like the silver Betsy flasher too.

If you are jigging get some Shimano Butterfly Flat Fall jigs, nothing out there that beats them for salmon jigging. Chartreuse or Phantom Squid. Size them according to how deep you'll be jigging. 160 gram is most common.

Island Outfitters has an online fishing report that details what gear is working best. I have only fished that area a few times. Oak Bay area seems to be a "needlefish on the bottom" fishery. I would first try a NG142R Golden Bait hoochie behind a UV/Glo flasher of choice. Other area's seem to be a bottom fishery except the summer months. Lot's of Anchovy's behind flashers used.

AP needle fish on a 42" leader, color depends on the day.
use glow on overcast days ,
also Coho killer's green glo

If you are jigging get some Shimano Butterfly Flat Fall jigs, nothing out there that beats them for salmon jigging. Chartreuse or Phantom Squid. Size them according to how deep you'll be jigging. 160 gram is most common.

Where do you buy these locally?

Year over year, the below is my fave and have always produced over the years...

Betsy or haze flasher with:

- purple haze teaser
- Bloody nose teaser
- chartreuse teaser

Hi JWS. As you can see Anchovy bait is the popular choice. If rigged properly, it's great. If not rigged properly it tends to catch smaller fish only. I'd stick with hardware like Scott Craven recommends. I find jigging is great when you are over a concentration of Salmon. You can find these concentrations by trolling & marking locations where you catch fish on a GPS, or by jigging structure such as hills/ pinnacles on the bottom.

Back