Crofton to vesuvius

zjhoban

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum a few days ago and haven't been able to put my phone down reading so many posts!

I have a couple questions for anyone who cares to answer - I did search but didn't come up with anything.

I am planning a trip to the island (from Calgary) with my son (4) and we are going to fish our way there, then up island and back.

My mom lives on SS just north of Vesuvius. Would it be feasible to take my small 14' tinner with a 20hp tiller across from Crofton?

Also any areas a guy could go fish on the ocean that would be calm (weather permitting) without potentially dangerous currents?

I have family on SS, Vic and Comox - none of them fish lol

Thanks for any input!

Also a starting point on how to find maps/charts so I can do some research would be great!

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum a few days ago and haven't been able to put my phone down reading so many posts!

I have a couple questions for anyone who cares to answer - I did search but didn't come up with anything.

I am planning a trip to the island (from Calgary) with my son (4) and we are going to fish our way there, then up island and back.

My mom lives on SS just north of Vesuvius. Would it be feasible to take my small 14' tinner with a 20hp tiller across from Crofton?

Also any areas a guy could go fish on the ocean that would be calm (weather permitting) without potentially dangerous currents?

I have family on SS, Vic and Comox - none of them fish lol

Thanks for any input!

Also a starting point on how to find maps/charts so I can do some research would be great!
It is about a 5km transit from Crofton over to SS and it would be no problem given the correct conditions. Try for Salmon around Tent and Kuper Islands about 4 km north of Crofton . Be sure to check the regs depending on time of year

Attachments

• 30E75E76-D588-4435-8BD3-82D92018D512.jpeg
    30E75E76-D588-4435-8BD3-82D92018D512.jpeg
    904.1 KB · Views: 35
It is about a 5km transit from Crofton over to SS and it would be no problem given the correct conditions. Try for Salmon around Tent and Kuper Islands about 4 km north of Crofton . Be sure to check the regs

That was my exact plan! Glad to know it is a decent plan.

Timing it between projects, trip could start anywhere from late june to mid August.

Just noticed I posted this in fishing reports 🤦

As Explorer682 stated, shouldn’t be a problem but keep an eye out on the weather. I grew up in Saltair on beachfront property in the early 70’s and plied the waters around there and out to Polier in a 12’ Smokercraft with a 9.8. A good app to get is Navionics which you can download to your phone. It has currents, tides and such. No currents to speak of really around Saltspring unless you head up to Dodds or down to Sansum Narrows or run through Polier Pass. When you get out here hit me up if you want to get out prawning.

You should have no problem in your aluminum boat especially in the summer months. .I used to own property on the north end of SSI and frequently fished around Tent and Kuper Islands.. and out to Pollier Pass
Can be very good jigging the points or trolling there in July and August.

Brooke

As Explorer682 stated, shouldn’t be a problem but keep an eye out on the weather. I grew up in Saltair on beachfront property in the early 70’s and plied the waters around there and out to Polier in a 12’ Smokercraft with a 9.8. A good app to get is Navionics which you can download to your phone. It has currents, tides and such. No currents to speak of really around Saltspring unless you head up to Dodds or down to Sansum Narrows or run through Polier Pass. When you get out here hit me up if you want to get out prawning.
I will certainly be getting in touch. Thank you for the offer.

Navionics is a pretty cool app too

Back