Sooke2015

Extraordinarily eventful day today! Started out at 7:00am with anchovies in wispy fog in the Possession area. Nothing much after a couple of passes except a hatch coho. So headed west across harbour mouth. Put a herring down in the teaser head on one side. After about 15 minutes got a decent hit on the herring side and we boated an 8lb white chinook. Continued west and got a hit on the anchovy side, played a decent fish to the side of the boat and it took off again and popped the hook. Herring 1, Anchovy 0.

Put down new baits on each side and herring was down literally 2 minutes and it went off. I started playing this fish and my wife began clearing the other rod and said, “wow there is one on this side” So now we have a Chinook double header, our first, so chaos ensues. We leave the second rod bouncing away and we get the one in on the herring side (17lb). We tip the fish out of the net, rush over to the other rod and start playing the fish on the anchovy side. However, we bullied it too hard in our efforts to complete the double header and the fish ran hard on a very short line and bang went the main line. Herring 2 Anchovy 0.

Retackled the anchovy side, put it down along with the herring. Once again the herring side went off after only 15 minutes and this time we boated it at 14lb. Herring 3, anchovy 0.

All this crazy action happened in 90 minutes between 7:30 and 9:00am in 60-80 feet of water in harbour mouth/Bluffs area. Herring and anchovies were all at 50-65’.

All went quiet for the next 3 hours despite several passes through the hot area. After a short sojourn out deep came back into the hot area around lunch time with an Andrew P. spoon and anchovy. Spoon side goes off, my wife again attempts to clear anchovy side and bingo! Another double header!! Fish pops the spoon after only a minute and my wife hands me the other rod. Get it to the surface 40 yards out and up pops Mr. Seal. He grabs, let’s go for a bit and then grabs again, and heads deep. More chaos as seal dives and we attempt to get over him and circle. My knuckles are bashed and my fingers are burned trying to slow the spinning Peetz. Finally seal goes around the cable not yet fully raised and snap – the second flasher and head lost on the anchovy side.

So quite the day. We hooked 7 chinook, a record for us, and two double headers. Only got the 3 fish in, but with better luck and/or no Mr. Seal we would have had our limit. Truly an amazing day and I am now a fan of herring in teasers. They seem to do just as well as anchovies.

I attach a picture of my wife with today’s fish. She is much more photogenic than me!!
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Extraordinarily eventful day today! Started out at 7:00am with anchovies in wispy fog in the Possession area. Nothing much after a couple of passes except a hatch coho. So headed west across harbour mouth. Put a herring down in the teaser head on one side. After about 15 minutes got a decent hit on the herring side and we boated an 8lb white chinook. Continued west and got a hit on the anchovy side, played a decent fish to the side of the boat and it took off again and popped the hook. Herring 1, Anchovy 0.

Put down new baits on each side and herring was down literally 2 minutes and it went off. I started playing this fish and my wife began clearing the other rod and said, “wow there is one on this side” So now we have a Chinook double header, our first, so chaos ensues. We leave the second rod bouncing away and we get the one in on the herring side (17lb). We tip the fish out of the net, rush over to the other rod and start playing the fish on the anchovy side. However, we bullied it too hard in our efforts to complete the double header and the fish ran hard on a very short line and bang went the main line. Herring 2 Anchovy 0.

Retackled the anchovy side, put it down along with the herring. Once again the herring side went off after only 15 minutes and this time we boated it at 14lb. Herring 3, anchovy 0.

All this crazy action happened in 90 minutes between 7:30 and 9:00am in 60-80 feet of water in harbour mouth/Bluffs area. Herring and anchovies were all at 50-65’.

All went quiet for the next 3 hours despite several passes through the hot area. After a short sojourn out deep came back into the hot area around lunch time with an Andrew P. spoon and anchovy. Spoon side goes off, my wife again attempts to clear anchovy side and bingo! Another double header!! Fish pops the spoon after only a minute and my wife hands me the other rod. Get it to the surface 40 yards out and up pops Mr. Seal. He grabs, let’s go for a bit and then grabs again, and heads deep. More chaos as seal dives and we attempt to get over him and circle. My knuckles are bashed and my fingers are burned trying to slow the spinning Peetz. Finally seal goes around the cable not yet fully raised and snap – the second flasher and head lost on the anchovy side.

So quite the day. We hooked 7 chinook, a record for us, and two double headers. Only got the 3 fish in, but with better luck and/or no Mr. Seal we would have had our limit. Truly an amazing day and I am now a fan of herring in teasers. They seem to do just as well as anchovies.

I attach a picture of my wife with today’s fish. She is much more photogenic than me!!
attachment.php

See? Your picking your spots better and it's paying off. I think I better take a day off tommorrow..... :p

Heading to sooke Thursday. See you boys out there

Reminder of the Closed Area in front of the Harbour mouth.
Saw a few people fishing inside it on the weekend.

Good run of fish in right now!

Tips

Fished just out side of Pedder on Sunday, no love for us except some pinks. Couldn't make it around race rocks cause of the fog. Also fished the 11 fathom reef just outside pedder for hali's. Tried drifting and anchoring but nothing but monsters that you couldn't move off the bottom. Several snapped lines and lost jigs later and that was it for hali fishing. Also tried this same spot before and had multiple hookups almost instantly but they were all massive that you could barely even move. Im new to hali fishing in this area so maybe im on a hog hole that I don't know about? Anywhere that's better for smaller ones or chickens? Cheers

Reminder of the Closed Area in front of the Harbour mouth.
Saw a few people fishing inside it on the weekend.

Good run of fish in right now!

Tips

Technically as I understand it is not closed but it is a Chinook Non Retention Zone.. So you can't keep any Chinook caught inside a line from Possession Point to the far end of the bluffs (at the far west end you are also in the RCA no fishing zone). There is no point to fishing inside the line unless you were fishing for other salmon species but since you can catch them outside the line, why would you be in there where you cannot keep Chinook unless you did not know the regs. or wanted to poach Sooke River Chinook protected for spawning. I suspect the reason it is not closed completely is it allows the shore fishermen to fish on the sand spit beside the Sooke River for Ho's and Chums a little later in the season.

Good going Roland, I told you, you have the skills and it was just a matter of putting in your time and as others have said, don't over think it. There is a large amount of Chinook going through right now. For hook ups on decent Chinook it is an exceptional year so far and we are now going into the best 3 weeks of the year.

For Silver Spring and myself today, we also played seven good Chinook and kept two. Got one on Chovie but then hooked up the other six on the good plastic. We have been hitting some bigger ones recently.

Attachments

• photos Aug 2015 608.jpg
    photos Aug 2015 608.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 348
Fun one yesterday. Planned on being out for the whole day, but after 2 hours we had 4 in the boat and released 2 others so decided to call it quits at 11 with our limit. Had a fun double header and got both onboard with some teamwork. 12-24 lbs.

20150816_122535.jpg

I don't know if it's Sir Reels post or the fact it got followed by a first post by a guy named Mike Hawk...

Good job English.. if you are where the fish are they'll hit it

# splittingagut

Its to protect the sooke run has been in place for over 25 years that i know of...

As for report if your thinking of getting out do it now you can catch them with a rusty hook right now .LOTS i mean LOTS of fish there this past week doesnt matter where you are it seems they are there. had guys fly in early so did an noon departure they never been on the ocean before so after getting them to toss the bananas of before getting on boat off we went explaining what we do when fish gets on ....

Look over starboard rod goes off cool here we go guys then back rod oh theres one as I go for port rods as I just clicked the rigger (as you know I bring up in rigger ) BOOM it goes off here we go guys triple header . so after a few dance moves on the boat of you under you over you on this side ok right here thats good landed all 3 of them .....2 in the net and one gaffed ....
all of them are now shaking as that was quite the adrenaline rush .....well after 2 hours of fishing we landed our limit plus mine.
Guys says to me well out of 1 to 10 hows is this day..... LOL I say a 10 as this doesnt happen like this very much man .

Buddy he brought then proceeds to tell me he spent a fortune in Rivers inlet a few years ago 5 days of fishing and not 1 Chinook.
And he loved how we are so close to a major city and dont need a float plane ride water was nice and this truely is a world class fishing destination.....

been saying this for years sooke is HOT right now has been all summer long......

Good luck wolf

Well back from our trip and what a trip this year. I honestly think it was the best trip I have had in years maybe ever to the coast. I have fished most of the popular destinations on the island over the years but Sooke this year was as good or better than any of them. Got to finish off the last couple days taking out my niece and a friend from work that lives in Langford. Sunday we fished just in front of the mouth and what an epic last day. Two double headers it was non stop for a while. It was the guys first time on the chuck so I=I warned him not to expect this type of fishing every time. We boated our 4 Chinook by 9:00 then went out and played some pinks and got into a few Coho on the 9 weight fly rod,, that was a blast.

Couple pics from the last day.

image.jpg1_zpsidrycksw.jpg

image.jpg2_zpswucjb61f.jpg

In all it was a great trip, for 7 days of our morning fishes we boated 16 Chinook with an average weight of 18# biggest being 25#, not many dropped this year they seemed to be taking the bait hard. Countless Pinks and a few Coho to the boat it truly was a fantastic trip. We came home with our allotted fish for the trip and now will begin to process it in various ways for our family.

Thx again Sooke for a great time, to the forum members I got to meet, it was nice to meet you and maybe see you again next year.

Thx all..

I've fished a lot of places on the coast from the charlottes to wcvi and the fishing in sooke right now beats them all. Can't believe how good it is right now.

Yesterdays early morning bite at 3rd rock and up into Gordon's Beach was the best I've been involved with in years. Its been quite awhile since I seen 20 or more boats all hooked up in an area at the same time. We had all three rods hit as we entered the zone...1 didn't stick one got off and landed 1. Reminded me of some bites that I've been involved in long ago at Bamfield (Kirby Point), Possession Point and Otter Pt. They just don't happen as often as they used anymore. The only bummer is that the majority of the fish are now 14-17 pounds instead of 21-28 pounds.

Back