Sooke2015

The anchovy was one I had rigged on a bloody nose head two trips ago and never used. I hate wasting bait so it had been through two freeze/melt cycles, teaser , leader and all. ….

And we are questioning your voltage...your roll...
IMO good bait is key. Yes, you will get fish on crappy bait. But you will get more fish and better quality fish on good bait.
I sooner run a spoon than a bait like that.
Just my opinion.

Fished from Beachy Head to Donaldson Isl, wasnt much happening, have been fishing shallower water lately so decided to drop down to 110 on the rigger and boom a 15, 18, and 22 all in 1 hour. 2 smaller caught on tomic spoon and bigger one caught on bait.
cheers.jiehds.jpg

went out yesterday started at otter at about 6.00am lost two pinks at the net fished with the tide back to Secretary. picked up a nice hatch. coho about 6 ponds and 2 pinks , fished aroun the island caught three more pinks then was lowering an anchovie to 70 feet when a nice 18 pound spring hit it on the way down. all in all agood day calm waters....C.A.

2 of us Fished Muir for less than 2 hours today, done at 9:30, 4 springs, all in the teens and one hatch Coho. Chrome bloody nose teaser head on one side and chartreuse on the other, 50/66 ft. We had a double header with Orcas 150 yds away. Both fish went nuts, must have heard the Orcas!
Stosh

Stuck it out today and it payed off. Banged 1 off in the morning just after sun up and then 2 this afternoon on the late slack. All 3 at 52' on bait. All the boats took off just before feeding time just two of us out there,, both boats hit them we just took turns tacking in the spot. It was nice to share a point with another boat that knows how to run a bite. If the boys from Renfrew read this I hope you guys did well.

A 20, 23, & 25 for us today.

image.jpg1_zpsvudda1xd.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsejlro1yi.jpg

You cant catch fish like that Terry you only come here for a few days a year LOL LOL
maybe you should take Englishman out .....

Good on you man but really still wearing the insulated pants when everyone is in shorts do you sleep in them too LOL LOL

As for report yes good fishing out there right now...lots to be had

Fished the Head to Donaldson today, went with a buddy and his two kids, tried to get them into some pinks but couldn't find any? Hooked a beautiful BIG sockeye and two hatchery Coho in tight trying for Springs later durning high slack but nothing doing for Springs.

Whales or no whales...

Wow just came from hardy...Cant wait to get out there looks like its still going good from the reports...

Had a great day on the water yesterday.
At 6 am 10 minutes after getting our bait down at Possession, had a 15 lb spring to the side of the boat, but lost that one.
Guy fishing slip weight and anchovy from the zodiac landed a nice big slab at about 7 am. He seems to be getting fish in close at 30 ft depth.
Moved to Sherringham and landed 6 coho, of which 3 where hatchery, kept 3 pinks, landed a 12 lb spring and lost a very large sping to a sea lion.
Action throughout morning, but really picked up between noon and 2. Whales moved through in the late morning, some between the rocks at Sherringham and shore. This had little effect on the fishing.

Stopped in at otter, and there seemed to be a good bite at 3 pm. Kayaker landed a 15 lb spring there.
We picked up another 10 lb spring, and called it a day.
Gold betsy flasher was working for us. Depth off the rigger 61 ft.

Wish I was going out today--it's an awesome mixed bag fishery right now, with lots of fish moving through.

Lots of action at Otter today too. Went out solo and landed a 17 white, a 10 red, and two pinks. Saw lots of other fish landed. Tons of boats. I think I'm getting better at this, partly because of the willingness of forum members to share their knowledge on this site. Thanks to all the wise contributors!

Son caught a 15 in front of the trailer park, 10ish, then a ling and a flounder, guessed we were a bit deep. All on Chobees.

You cant catch fish like that Terry you only come here for a few days a year LOL LOL
maybe you should take Englishman out .....

Good on you man but really still wearing the insulated pants when everyone is in shorts do you sleep in them too LOL LOL

As for report yes good fishing out there right now...lots to be had

Lol,, just be happy your not the one washing my gaunch !!! There not that hot of pants they are just a thin Gortex rain pant helps keep my clothes clean. Momma doesn't come to do laundry on her holidays so it helps keep down on that. We are here for 10 days so it would pile up.

Took the day off today and did the tourist thing, went up the coast for a drive and looked around and left some money in the local economy. Back at her tomorrow for a 4 day run.. Tides are looking good for the rest of them trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Non-fishing plans changed into fishing today at the last minute so launched late around 10:15am. Ran down to Sheringham. Dropped an anchovy to 55’ and had a hit within 5 minutes. Fish gave a good account of itself and I got it to the surface within 6’ of the boat. It gave another short run and out popped the hook. I estimate it was in the 18-20lb range.

Then the orcas came by! Quite a decent show and only one whale watching boat.

Waited two hours for the next hit on an Andrew P. spoon. Felt like decent fish but we never saw it.

In late afternoon put on a recently brined herring in a green herring teaser head I have had in my tackle for 30 years and it was promptly christened with an 8lb Chinook. This was at 62’. Fun to catch a chinook on herring we have caught ourselves.

Finished trolling past Muir where we got two hatchery coho to accompany the two pinks taken randomly earlier in the day.
All in all an interesting eventful day with fantastic warm weather.

Hmmm...that 10:30 period was right when the ebb current was starting to die off ahead of the change and the time to be there. It could have been a panic bite to with the whales approaching....but you were where you should be and your depth choice was correct...equals results....that is how it works!

Thx guys! :cool:

(The whales appeared about 30 mins after that first fish, but the whale's sonar carries along way, so I suppose the fish could have been aware they were around.......so many variables....so little time.....LOL :))

The boy and I did our limit this morning. Started out going to the light but didn't feel like pounding out there so we turned back and I told the boy we will just make the best of it on Possesion. Turned out to be an alright decision. We had our 4 boated by 11:00, lost one to the seal. Fought him for a couple minutes, he let go once then grabbed it again, by that time I had enough the bite was on no need to waste time. Grabbed the line and broke him off and got set up. Never went 2 minutes and smashed another, this one broke free, my bad. Had caught 4 or 5 on that hook already and never checked it out. Did a couple more tacks and got our 4th. Went out to the tide line and put 4 pinks in the tub in short order and came in. Awesome day,, been a while since I did a limit in Sooke..

4 fish at 47', 2 at 53 all bait.

image.jpg2_zpswucjb61f.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsjuvv2zry.jpg

This morning started with a bumpy ride up to Otter Pt..not my 1st choice prior to leaving Sooke harbour but the water conditions meant I wasn't pounding it all the way west to the light. Dropped in at 3rd rock, lost one right away with a broken leader, did a loop picked up another that we landed and then on the next pass Mr Sealion made short work of the 3rd spring. I was so busy for the first 2 hours between, pinks, weed, steering the boat, re-rigging gear etc etc. The wind started to die a bit and I wanted to get back onto my original plan so pulled the gear at 8am and ran west. I was hoping to get away from the pinks...we already had our limits of those. First pass at the light 2 more springs in the box and dropped another. By 2pm we had played 17 springs, releasing 6, kept 5 (one for me) and lost the rest. The water got really nice and from 11am on it was just a nice ripple.

The boy and I did our limit this morning. Started out going to the light but didn't feel like pounding out there so we turned back and I told the boy we will just make the best of it on Possesion. Turned out to be an alright decision. We had our 4 boated by 11:00, lost one to the seal. Fought him for a couple minutes, he let go once then grabbed it again, by that time I had enough the bite was on no need to waste time. Grabbed the line and broke him off and got set up. Never went 2 minutes and smashed another, this one broke free, my bad. Had caught 4 or 5 on that hook already and never checked it out. Did a couple more tacks and got our 4th. Went out to the tide line and put 4 pinks in the tub in short order and came in. Awesome day,, been a while since I did a limit in Sooke..

4 fish at 47', 2 at 53 all bait.

image.jpg2_zpswucjb61f.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsjuvv2zry.jpg

Nice Job Walleyes! I didn't know you were out here on the West coast as well. Nice fish. I might have to chat with you for some info. It's a little different out here than fishing back in Alberta.

Back