Sooke update

Too foggy for me at Otter. Thank god for web cams. Saves tons of time and gas.
Went off Beachy instead. 1 nice hatchery coho about 10lb at the tide lines.120 ft down. That was all. Only saw 1 other fish caught.

Marked alot of fish deeeeep. 250 + ??????

quote:Too foggy for me at Otter. Thank god for web cams

Tips up, is there a website that gives a visual of some places??? or do you just know somebody near the water with a webcam?

Thanks Captain Dudds

Captain, here be the link...race rocks also has its share

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.htm

On to the fishing, went out Saturday and was brutally dead for me - pickup up about a 5 pound coho, but spent a good 7 hours out there to no avail. First time in 10 years that I fished the secretary/possession area...what is the deal there? I would have thought logic says on a flood tide, you would drift into shore, but instead, you get a brutal slingshot around the island and out to sea (thank god for gps, otherwise I'd of been totally lost). How do you play the dynamics around there? All general articles say troll with the current, then pickup and start again up current, but LITERALLY everyone was sitting still pointing their nose at the island and watching it get smaller and smaller. Any suggestions as to best fishing technique for Secretary?

Did pickup some decent pockets of bait 1/2 way between Secret & Possess (some near the surface, some at 100)...no action at all though...tried from 30 to 120 with anchovy....frustrating as you expect to hit a bite or two that long out.

Was slow for most other people though - saw 3 or 4 caught when the fog lifted, one guy at the ramp had slayed some big coho 17 & 19, and limit springs in the 20's/30's....not sure where at though, didn't see him out, so probably Otter.

Fished a couple hours in the fog near Otter on Saturday around noon but the flood was way too strong to set up a good bite. Scratched a coho, a sockeye and a small spring. Apparently a few boats got some nice springs during the morning tide change. Also heard the fishing at Renny is spectacular for big springs and big coho along the beach - might have to head up there for the weekend!

Saturday morning bite was good...we got a 20lb'er just before going in ,boat beside us got a 28 while the guys opposite to us got the twin brother to ours. Released a wild Coho as well.

Possesion and sec. can be tricky to fish just stay in front of the points and your usually ok but if you get to far back youll be swept out just like otter pt,trap and the head.

Good luck wolf

Captain Dudds
Looks like you got the web cam info that you needed. What a great tool for those of us without radar. You can also get a wind report to the minute.

Fishing Secretary. Just like fishing many other points. Learn when to turn! Don't get past the shelter of the point and you'll be able to get around. Too far and your done. Look behind you as you drive not just in front. See how the tide is effecting your turn. Step up the throttle a touch also.

Tips

Sounds about right tips - thanks for info/guidance. Had comfort touching it up around 3-3.5mph with hootch/spoon on (that what it took to gain headway), but with bait, seemed pointless to me giving it such a death spiral at those speeds. Guess as mentioned, the tides were a little too big to work efficiently. The point to point thing totally makes sense though.

Was At Muir Creek Sunday in the Fog. Got a 36 pound white chinook and two nice hatchery coho about 10 pounds.

dy

Was at Muir and Otter today, fished from 10am to 3:45pm several boats out for the morning bite, talked to several boats.. no one had fish and did'nt see any fish netted.. we ended up scratching one Sockeye. We got back to the docks and fishery observation guy was their writing down stats. He was all excited when he saw our fish cause we were the 11'th boat to come and the fist and only fish he saw all day!!!!! off day today... any one else was out today??

Was at Muir and Otter today, fished from 10am to 3:45pm several boats out for the morning bite, talked to several boats.. no one had fish and did'nt see any fish netted.. we ended up scratching one Sockeye. We got back to the docks and fishery observation guy was their writing down stats. He was all excited when he saw our fish cause we were the 11'th boat to come and the fist and only fish he saw all day!!!!! off day today... any one else was out today??

Back