Sooke update

Night bite at Otter last night......picked up 4 springs. Nothing too big but heard of a 42 off the head and there was a snap at Secretary too with a couple around 30lbs. Lots of sockeye jumping everywhere - got one of those. Wolf was nearby...maybe he'll respond with an update too.

Night bite on Wed. night at Secretary. 1 35 lb spring, lost 2 teenagers.
T2

Still fish moving thru sooke.....banged off 4 springs this am pretty quick. No huge lunkers but real line screamers!! Hooked our 7th double header this month! Tracked down a couple sockeye before leaving...lots jumping but not biting well.

Good early bite at Otter. 4 springs and some pinks. Nothing big. Fish up to 20 lb. Great fighters as you say Yammy.

First fish had to chase down a sea lion for. Chased him right into 30 ft of water off 3rd rock. Got our fish back then he followed us for about 5 minutes snorting away!!
Later he evened the score and got a decent fish off us and my gear from the flasher down.

Back at 'er tomorrow.

G

Edited by - tips up on 08/27/2005 20:55:32

Hit otter yesterday and had 6 good strikes on the morning bite but not one stuck for more than a few seconds. Awk! Talk about frustrating. Toughed it out until the next bite and picked up 5 springs with 2 around 25lbs and the others in the teens. Hitting at all depths. Like saturday, lots of fun - real scrappers. Great to see the fish in such numbers.

And how about that weather! Sunburned in the morning and heavy rain with fog in the afternoon. It felt like summer transitioned into fall in just one day!

quote: Hit otter yesterday and had 6 good strikes on the morning bite but not one stuck for more than a few seconds. Awk! Talk about frustrating.
Yammy 5--I had the same experience up at Camper in Port Renfrew. Unfortunately we couldn't stay for the second bite!
I promised my buddy's kids I'd take them out again when the fish were hungrier!
T2

Got out late yesterday. Lost 1 good spring, landed a super scrappy fish about 20lb (jumped clear out of the water!) couple humpies and released 3 wild coho. Lost another nice big hook nose coho at the net.
Lots of action out there. Also saw a 39lber at the dock.

Great weather as mentioned Yammy!

Bumper boat fishing weekend.
Some ignorant boaters. Don't know why some people have to be that way.

Tips Up, I hear you, you steer a course you want to troll over and they turn into your path, same way they drive a vehicle I believe.
Sounds like the coho have arrived, out two nights ago, Secretary and it was dead. First skunk for awhile.

B Gibb

A good friend of mine just got back on the 27th.He had 2 other people with him.they brought back 12 springs and 12 coho.He said the bite as incredible.

thanks the runt

Reliable sources indicate schools of fish at the Renfrew banks. Should be reaching Sooke soon. Looking forward to it, small strip.

B Gibb

Great fishing out there is all I can say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Limits all around but there are down deeper than normal

Good luck Wolf

It's weekend time and my Malcolm Island trip fell through. Wondering what is the latest in sooke...new run of fish coming through with the recent rains? Still down a little deeper? What's the word out there?

TIA
Dave

It was great all week up until yesterday and today seems smaller fish have moved in too!!! down deep 80 to 120 ft chatted to a guy who went to renny for 2 days and he said he didnt see much either he got a 33 and a limit of 20 to 25s but then today nothing but a 12 lber??????? my guess is it was just an off day for everywhere a get even day for the fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See what happens tommorow

Good luck Wolf

Back