Sooke to Bamfield

I'm heading to Bamfield Aug 5th. Have a 20' Grady. Plan is to launch in port hopefully by 930. That should be early enough to beat the wind right? Any tips for parking or the launch? I've read getting out of the launch into the river can be a bit tricky. Been meaning to ask these questions. Not trying to derail the thread. Figured these questions are relevant.

About 10 days ago, I launched in the dark because the tide was going to be very low at 4 in the morning and I don't know the channel, so I jogged out using my Lowrance w/ Navionics chip (and depth sounder} which was accurate for showing the channel markers. It's pretty easy in daylight.
Keep left of the green ones on the way out. Generally, you'll be keeping to the left/East side of the river.
Play with the navionics app. https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@13&key=}|rkHxtxxV

Attachments

• 2021-07-05 (2).png
    2021-07-05 (2).png
    456.1 KB · Views: 35
I'm heading to Bamfield Aug 5th. Have a 20' Grady. Plan is to launch in port hopefully by 930. That should be early enough to beat the wind right? Any tips for parking or the launch? I've read getting out of the launch into the river can be a bit tricky. Been meaning to ask these questions. Not trying to derail the thread. Figured these questions are relevant.
There is parking at the launch, pay to launch and pay to park, launch is well run with attendant directing traffic and helping launch if needed. Multiple lanes gets busy but overall pretty easy launch little bit tricky with the river currents docking for pull out when busy but not that bad. There is parking at a lot beside the Ford dealer a short walk away if the launch is full also along some of the roads. One of the better launches in my opinion.

Running the canal early morning is usually nice and an easy run,,,under an hour. Similar to running out from Gold River ramp out to Nootka. I have run up by water from Sooke and would have no problem doing it in a 17-18 ft boat if the weather forecast is decent, you can carry the fuel and your equipment is reliable. Its a 3 hour run in good seas so if you are in the water at 5am you will be there by 8 and Renfrew is halfway so you never more than 1.5 hours away from a dock. I just ran 1 mile off the beach the whole way....coming back is much nicer as the swell is on your stern.

Running the canal early morning is usually nice and an easy run,,,under an hour. Similar to running out from Gold River ramp out to Nootka. I have run up by water from Sooke and would have no problem doing it in a 17-18 ft boat if the weather forecast is decent, you can carry the fuel and your equipment is reliable. Its a 3 hour run in good seas so if you are in the water at 5am you will be there by 8 and Renfrew is halfway so you never more than 1.5 hours away from a dock. I just ran 1 mile off the beach the whole way....coming back is much nicer as the swell is on your stern.
Thank, very helpful. I’ve done the Sooke to Renfrew run on a good weather day and really enjoyed it. It’s good to know that Sooke to Bamfield is feasible on the right day. I could even fuel up in Renfrew at Pacific Gateway.

I think when Wolf who has a 26 ft Hourston ready to go in Sooke Harbour drives and launches in Canal that should tell you something. Just saying. Sorry your boats too small for that run, and your asking for it.

I think when Wolf who has a 26 ft Hourston ready to go in Sooke Harbour drives and launches in Canal that should tell you something. Just saying. Sorry your boats too small for that run, and your asking for it.
Profisher was talking about the Sooke to Bamfield run and he’s at least as experienced as Wolf. Interesting.

The day I ran to Renfrew, fished, and cruised back to Sooke was entirely uneventful. On a similar day, I expect going another hour and a half on that kind of day wouldn’t make a difference. Those kind of days aren’t common, but when they happen I don’t think it’s a risky proposition.

Last edited:
the road from cowichan is not
much worse then the port to bamfield gravel, my boat is super light 850 kgs on the trailer , done it twice this year already. It is best launching and runing down canal , 38 kms from port by boat. gotta leave early , takes about 1.5 hrs , 1 hr if your flying . i try to avoid the tow but if it is the difference of half a day fishing i will make the tow.

the road from cowichan is not
much worse then the port to bamfield gravel, my boat is super light 850 kgs on the trailer , done it twice this year already. It is best launching and runing down canal , 38 kms from port by boat. gotta leave early , takes about 1.5 hrs , 1 hr if your flying . i try to avoid the tow but if it is the difference of half a day fishing i will make the tow.
Did you mean 38 Nautical Miles?? If your working in Km’s it’s more like 65km from Port Alberni to Bamfield . I agree , you would have to be doing well over 70kms/ hour to get there in less than hour

Profisher was talking about the Sooke to Bamfield run and he’s at least as experienced as Wolf. Interesting.

The day I ran to Renfrew, fished, and cruised back to Sooke was entirely uneventful. On a similar day, I expect going another hour and a half on that kind of day wouldn’t make a difference. Those kind of days aren’t common, but when they happen I don’t think it’s a risky proposition.

There are lots of guys that lurk on these threads and I don't know if should be promoting doing runs like that in small boats with some also that don't even have radar. Would hate to see anyone get hurt out there.

Sooke isn't Bamfield way different water. An 18ft boat is way to small for swells etc. One turn of weather and your vulnerable with no place to hide.

Spring have you made that run? It might seem daunting if you haven't but you are running along the shore the entire way. Often the worse part of the run is getting out of the straits with any funneling winds or ebb undertow. More often than not once you are past JR the wind drops to nothing and you have a bit of swell...which is no big deal. If we were talking about running 3 hrs out to fish Tuna...that would be a different story. On a decent weather day there will be other boats around you the entire way up. I took Jerry cans on my first run up to Bamfield just to make sure I had enough and didn't have to worry about fuel. I went as far as Sombrio and topped up the tank because the water was flat and thought might as well do it now. If you look at a chart of the water between Sooke and Bamfield you will see that if you run 1 mile off the beach the depth contour lines run east west the entire way and only shift to north south once you hit Cape Beale. So even in the fog if you have a good compass and a decent sounder you can stay 1 mile off and know when to turn north even if you never see shore...just by watching your sounder and going by your approx speed and time.

Spring have you made that run? It might seem daunting if you haven't but you are running along the shore the entire way. Often the worse part of the run is getting out of the straits with any funneling winds or ebb undertow. More often than not once you are past JR the wind drops to nothing and you have a bit of swell...which is no big deal. If we were talking about running 3 hrs out to fish Tuna...that would be a different story. On a decent weather day there will be other boats around you the entire way up. I took Jerry cans on my first run up to Bamfield just to make sure I had enough and didn't have to worry about fuel. I went as far as Sombrio and topped up the tank because the water was flat and thought might as well do it now. If you look at a chart of the water between Sooke and Bamfield you will see that if you run 1 mile off the beach the depth contour lines run east west the entire way and only shift to north south once you hit Cape Beale. So even in the fog if you have a good compass and a decent sounder you can stay 1 mile off and know when to turn north even if you never see shore...just by watching your sounder and going by your approx speed and time.
I am grateful for the details based on actual experience. I think you’re right because the calm day I ran from Sooke to Renfrew, I fished beyond Cullite Creek, and it was clear to me that the next 15 to 20 miles up the coast were not likely to be any different.

You guys know why they built that trail from Renfrew to Bamfield right?
Of course. But if you pick the right days and are quick to retreat at the first sign of even potential adverse change in weather, I’m not sure if it the risk is huge. Profisher is very experienced and he suggests that, approached sensibly and cautiously, it is not the Shackleton Expedition.

Maybe going out to Swiftsure Bank is riskier, because you’re further from the shore. Yet I’ve heard that on the right weather days, some small open tinners head out there. I wouldn’t do that, and I’ve only got an 18 foot Hourston hardtop not a 25 footer, but I think it might be okay on a good weather day.

They built that trail for crews of slow moving vessels who stranded themselves on shore in days without modern navigation aids or accurate weather forecasts and travel that included transiting during the winter months. Pick a good weather day, confirm with real time VHF radio reports from stations on the route and go. Once you have done it you won't trailer it again. I wouldn't do a one day run any further like Sooke to Nootka... that one is a trailer trip for sure.

The last time I was in Bamfield which is awhile ago now. I left for Sooke in the afternoon after fishing with clients. 3 hours later my boat was tied up in its regular spot at the marina, I loaded my out of town gear into my truck and drove home and was ready to fish the next morning without any extra work. If I had run the canal to load up on a trailer I would have still been on the road and would have to take the boat home and deal with putting it back in the water before fishing in the morning.

There are lots of guys that lurk on these threads and I don't know if should be promoting doing runs like that in small boats with some also that don't even have radar. Would hate to see anyone get hurt out there.

Sooke isn't Bamfield way different water. An 18ft boat is way to small for swells etc. One turn of weather and your vulnerable with no place to hide.

I disagree SV. I have done the run a few times in a 17.5ft boat with reliable power. Just don’t be stupid....pay attention to the forecast and go during a window of low winds and you will 100% be fine. If don’t have much experience and are not comfortable on the ocean then don’t do it.

But to say it is “unsafe”, is 100% not true. In bad conditions....yes very unsafe.

18ft and under Small boats without radar shouldn't be making long runs like that on that stretch of water. Experience or not. Asking for trouble. Anyhow we agree to disagree. And yes it is unsafe in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back