Sooke to Bamfield

Saxe Point

Never been to Bamfield to fish, so I thought I’d give it a try. Interested in trailering my boat out there from Sooke. I know that you can get there by going down the TransCanada highway to Port Alberni and then down to Bamfield.

My question is about the alternate route going through Port Renfrew and then to Lake Cowichan and then taking the logging roads. First, is it worth it? Second, are those roads even open now, especially given the fire situation? Towing an 18 foot Hourston.

Last edited:
I took my 19’ Arima the shortcut through the backend of cowichan lake a couple of years ago and won’t do it again. Banged the crap out of my truck, trailer and gear. Lost two trailer buddies along the way. I took the boat home to ESQUIMALT through port Alberni and it was a much more relaxing trip and not a lot longer time wise to drive.

I took my 19’ Arima the shortcut through the backend of cowichan lake a couple of years ago and won’t do it again. Banged the crap out of my truck, trailer and gear. Lost two trailer buddies along the way. I took the boat home to ESQUIMALT through port Alberni and it was a much more relaxing trip and not a lot longer time wise to drive.
Thanks. Google maps says 4h 37mins from Sooke to Bamfield via Port Alberni. Is that accurate? It sounds a bit long based on my experience driving to Nootka from Victoria and these estimates are sometimes off.

OH dont do it
THAT road is rough you wont save any time what so ever.
I just did it a few weeks back and I went from port alberni then ran to bamfield took about a hour and 15 from the ramp....

Don’t. Take the highway to Port, run down the canal. That road will beat the sh*t outta your boat. Protect your investment.

OH dont do it
THAT road is rough you wont save any time what so ever.
I just did it a few weeks back and I went from port alberni then ran to bamfield took about a hour and 15 from the ramp....
Are you saying that it’s better to launch the boat in Port Alberni rather than driving it down to Bamfield? How’s the road from Port Alberni to Bamfield?

Take the canal. Go early and enjoy the views. If you have never done it it’s amazing. Gets nasty in the afternoon though.

Are you saying that it’s better to launch the boat in Port Alberni rather than driving it down to Bamfield? How’s the road from Port Alberni to Bamfield?
Well you dont really save any time and the last time I drove it man it was one of the worst roads ive ever been on . I know some have done it .Me personally id never tow a boat on it. At the boat launch in (port alberni) i think it was like 17 bucks and change a night to keep truck and trailer there.. And what the other guy said its nice run up very pretty

Once you do it you will never do it again. As others have said take the highway and dump in at Port Alberni and if you want a small taste of the logging road dump in at China Creek. I'm sure you will have had enough by the time you get there, if you want more it's about another 2 hours to Bamtown.

Never been to Bamfield to fish, so I thought I’d give it a try. Interested in trailering my boat out there from Sooke. I know that you can get there by going down the TransCanada highway to Port Alberni and then down to Bamfield.

My question is about the alternate route going through Port Renfrew and then to Lake Cowichan and then taking the logging roads. First, is it worth it? Second, are those roads even open now, especially given the fire situation? Towing an 18 foot Hourston.

Run the canal. The drive from Sooke to Port isn't bad. Stay off the logging roads it isn't worth it.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. How long is that run down the canal to Bamfield? Looking at Navionics, I’m guessing at least 20 nautical miles. Easy if calm, nightmare if rough.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. How long is that run down the canal to Bamfield? Looking at Navionics, I’m guessing at least 20 nautical miles. Easy if calm, nightmare if rough.
About an hour or a bit more depending on how fast you run. It is one of my most favourite things to do. Pour a coffee or whatever your pleasure and enjoy the trip. Keep an eye out for logs.

Parking gets busy in Port Alberni. My choice would be launching at China Creek, but try to leave as early as possible so you don’t run into the wind that often comes up down the inlet.
My 2 cents
Stosh

I’ve done it a few times, as recently as this past Friday. Takes me about an hour and a half doing 45km/hr .The earlier you leave Port the better as a few others have mentioned the wind will often come up mid day making it a sloppy run.If you pick the right day the run from Sooke to Bamfield by boat is actually quicker

the other thing is the dust getting EVERYWHERE in your boat. my Downriggers didn’t work properly. my reels were filled with dust and they wouldn’t retrieve or pay out line. my motor was so filled with dust under the cowling i feel i must have done some damage. it took hours and hours to clean it up to make it ready to even think about fishing.
take the canal. just don’t leave anything of value in your tow vehicle. Port Alberni is…..filled with undesirables of the lowest level

Been running down the canal since the late 80's. As said above the ride is enjoyable and the scenery is awesome.
Drove road once, never again....

as everyone says "take the canal". also the run from Sooke to Bamfield can get snotty very quickly especially in a 18 footer.

Back