SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we had a few longline releases. The 2 fish that stuck hit so hard it was ridiculos! still 2 days no sockeye. Not sure what were doing wrong in that department! Even trolled pink squirts for the better part of saterday. heard they were shallow like 20ft.

-Steve

FISHFLYGUY try shortening your leader to under 24" slow down your trol. I was using pink stuff that one would use for pinks, and seemed like once you hit the school you were into double and tripple headers. White flashers 55' and up.
Good luck :D [8D] :)

Tailspin, it was ebbing hard at the Island early this morning and rough with the westerly bucking up against it. No weed, double stacked on all 3 rigggers, kept them at 20,25,30,40,45 and 50 feet. So I was 20/40, the other 25/45 and 30/50. I'll keep my Sockeye gear to myself, it does make a big difference. Flasher colour is very important. Speed is less so, I go normal speed..same as springs, direction is important they will often only bite going one way....finding and staying on a school is also important for getting numbers. Never take all your gear out of the water unless they all have fish on....sockeye will follow you if they have something to follow.

Good advice on the sockeye Profisher.

Hit the water this morning with the Rock and got a small pile of fish. Biggest was 20lb and the rest low teeners and a couple sockeye. Never really got into the sockeye out west today and couldn't find any BIG springs but then this jackass trolled by showing off a 32lb'r to everyone he got close to. I snapped a pic as he stood there grinning at us.

SOOKE9Aug10025.jpg

SOOKE9Aug10013.jpg

Kidding Roy ~ nice hog!! Good to see some quality fish pulled off the tac. We were starting to wonder if there were any out there.

LOL LOL thanks Cory if you could send me the others as well...
Yes it was a good day out there wound up with a few nice springs today and a few socks in the mix hhhmmm 3 weeks ago it was sooooo doom and gloom now everyones happy!!!!
I want my 2 bits !!!!!!LOL

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Yes, you will get your .25 Wolfie. Looks like you were able to find a few with some size to them today. Good on ya buddy! I will be on the water in the morning tomorrow!

-Steve

Looks like the fish are starting to cooperate! Can't wait to get on the boat with Roy this coming Wed. Hope the bite is good!!!!

I think you need to read his post again. It says he wont say what he uses! And if I had somthing that worked really well for a type of fish I may not tell everyone else what it is either. We all have our own little tricks of the trade that we dont want to make public.

-Steve

R.S. I found from day break until 9 to be extremely hot both sat and sun! other then that it was spotty the rest of the day. Though I heard others saying around noon was hot farther west.

-steve

as for flashers for sockeye, its pretty silly to not share that info, get over yourself...

I cant say if the sockeye going past sooke are as interested in what we use In Alberni all year, but i am sure its fairly similar if not the same...

plain green/silver or red/silver flashers... sometimes plaid flashers or purple haze

bubble gum hootchies, MP15, pink/blue blends, etc.

short leaders, 21-27" works best

speed does matter! slower works better! 1.6-2.2mph i would suggest!

this is how we got our limits by 7am this season in alberni, so good luck in Sooke!

that's right back to stroking each other's ego ..25cts. still buys a little bag of candy kids( the only secret is they don't cost a penny)

Yeah, I agree with you on that one Banger17. I can see it for springs, but yeah, unbelievable!!

... Are fishermen all liars?
Or do only liars fish?

went out this morning and gave it a go at the trap this morning. made a few passes and only came up with a spring that was about 3Lbs or so and shook it off. fished most of the low slack but not much else. decided to go chase socks,so I went out to to the 350ft and 450ft range and started to get into some but was having a hell of a time keeping them on as they kept popping off by the boat :( finaly got one and decided to call it a day and was on my way into the marina when I had seen a bunch of jumpers just outside of fraser island,so decided to give it a go as I had a bit of time left. well I must have been in the right place and the right time cause all hell broke loose :) got my next 3 soxs and lost a bunch in about 40 min time :)and finally called it a day :) cant wait for the next trip out!!!!

Bit tougher today but dont think the whales helped much ????? still was able to get a couple of nice springs for my clients and sox to top it up very nice to be able to get a mixed bag of fish just wondering how come no coho????finding the betsy working for me right now for springs and all red for the soxs all different depths love getting a sox at 17 ft on the rigger what a blast!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

LOL...well there is no one flasher that is killer for springs every day every year. Sorry it doesn't exist. But there are colours that sockeye go for way more than others...most flashers will work but only a few knock em dead consistently. A tub full of nice sockeye (8 to 12) or a couple nice springs a rate equally in my books. Both will turn heads especially on the slower days. That is my advantage on many of my competitors and one of the reasons why I charge a little more than most. Why would I give that info away? It has nothing to do with ego, its business.

Forsure profisher... not arguing that! I think one of the most important things to remember with sockeye is to find the school, as they travel in larger groups. If you have one hit, often you will get 2-3 hitting at the same time, hence the all hell breaking loose! If thats the case, work the area, dont be afraid to turn around and try and hit the school again!

My info above is pretty accurate for most sockeye fisherman... a lot of the rest falls with lady luck and finding the fish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back