Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

FFG I don't think you were trying to brag even in the slightest; merely making a statement. I think it was just taken the wrong way by some. Regardless, moving on.

Got a nice 25lb off the trap this evening out for 40 min nice 20 min battle too.

Attachments

• P7191391.jpg
    P7191391.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:
Fished beechy/Aldridge/trap all day till 2 ish. Lots of coho being caught. Saw only one spring caught at the head. We caught one small spring and let it go as it was smaller than the coho. Saw a small pod of whales on out way out this morning from vic harbour and it seemed to have set the tone of the day. I have one more day to fish with my dad before he heads back to the big island so we will see if we can find some springs tomorrow....... somewhere.

JL

When the fishing is good for some so goes the drama on this site....lol. I wish I could get out right now but I'll have to wait a week for the Nootka trip. Nice work fly guy and Tight lines for the rest of you boys!

I love the reports, keep em coming FFG and others! Here's one of my own -out in Sooke from 3-8 tonight, mostly around Secretary. Only had one coho to the boat (wild, safely returned) and, close to 7:30, finally a Spring, around 10lbs. But that was it. Didn't see many nets in the water, but there was one big 42 lbs Spring brought in to Jocks.

Cheers!

Its a sad day ... My brother , best friend and fishing partner ... Hi Test passed away this morning ... he will be deeply missed by all his friends and family

Yes I use spoons with a dummy flasher ,with spoons so easy to flip off if they Are wild so much fun boomer

Very sorry to hear peetz.... I hope the fishin is good up there

Havent been out for a week!! Anyone have any reports for otter point? Taking my wife out in the morning, probly do some coho to keep her busy (spoons + gaf release), wheres all the chinook from reading the reports seems slowout there? Hopfully they were waiting for me to get out there!

well I will say one thing in defense of netters. For me or other first time raff releasers one I felt like I was going to stick that little bugger in the eye with the gaff or lip his little mouth. It feels like it would be easier sometimes to net and release, its not like hes sitting still out there. 2 Most fish get off at the boat, so you have to keep him on, identify what kind of salmon it is, if hes wild or hatch. Its not the easiest thing in the world to do.

In defense of gaffers, if your into a patch of cohos, nothing easiier than getting the fish next to the side of the boat, grabbing the line in one hand, gaf slides down the line to the hook. ThenTwist, it pops off, fish doesnt know what happend, and your gear gets down alot quicker, identifying fish isnt that hard, get them next to the boat, grab the line. Look for adipose, then do as per above,

When your into a big patch of cohos, if you pop off a few hatchery who cares, atleast to me its all about the action not about how much im bringing home...

See a lot of guys out there net a fish, watch them fight to get it out of thr net, scratch there head trying to identify it, then torpedo it over the side, think about what doing that to 25 fish in a day will do.... Not good. Get with the program, buy a gaf, and learn how to use it...

A big x2 on the above posts. We were into huge patch of Coho today and I was surprised by how many guys were netting then releasing. It is so much easier, quicker and better for the fish if you use a gaff. My buddy and I had a limit of hatchery coho in 2 hours with about a dozen wilds released successfully with the gaff. The rest of the day was spent in search of springs to no avail.

At about 3 o'clock, it looked like things got pretty hairy at Beechey Head when 7 Whale watching boats barged right into the tack that included a dozen or more sporty boats. It was hard enough to navigate through that tide while playing coho after coho with the numbers of sporties alone. And then to have the asshat whale watching boats dive in there and ruin it for everyone. I was on my way out of there as the gong show began but I feel for the guys that were still fishing there when this unfolded.

Went out for a mid day fish by myself. Fished Secretary area and had lots of coho action. No springs for me and I heard the same from others. I decided to try fishing with a dummy flasher and spoons. This is the first time I have fished without a flasher. Damn it's fun!! Everyone should do this on one side right now if they are targeting coho. It was awesome when the fish would rip along the water at the surface and the line starts humming.

If your having trouble identifying clipped coho, grab the leader with your gaff or hand, then pull it up and have a look. If it's clipped, lift it in the boat, if it's "wild", gaff release. Like anything, practice helps, but it's better then a net.

We don't have the official results yet but you may be asking...where are all these coho coming from? I know I am. When have we seen so many coho in July? I was a kid when it was this good. Everyone is catching! There were a ton of guys fishing from shore too. What fun! Can we thank Canada? Um maybe not. The creel survey guy told us this bonanza is likely the result of new US hatchery efforts. Yes, that's right. Canada is pulling away from salmon enhancement but look at the amazing results from the efforts of the USA. It's not official but be ready to say 'THANK YOU USA!' I grew up with friends fishing US hatchery coho at 10 mile point and it kept us outta trouble so this isn't the first time I've said thanks to the US efforts. I hesitate to comment without official data but it's shameful that Canada lags so far behind the efforts of the US with regard to salmon enhancement. Look at all the hatchery Chinook as well...mostly the results of US efforts I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong but much of our success is because of our Southern neighbors. It's shameful that Canada is moving in the opposite direction...not for us but for our kids and our grandchildren. I skipped school to fish coho at 10 mile point. My nephew doesn't have that option...I hope my young son does.

Back