Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Wolfie, My first ever spring over 20 pounds was on a pink squirt on the second tide line off secretary. a nice 22 pounder. I probably would have stood about as tall as your knees :p LOL What a blast when that rod pops off the rigger thinking its just a big pink until the reel started spolling off.

My grandfather once had a day where he got 4 over 30 on pink hootchies was out off the head!

Is it just me, or, are things slow for Springs. Hearing lots of chatter, but, I sure am not seeing the Springs I'd normally see this time of year.

Was out on Saturday, from about 12pm-5pm, fishing was slow around secretary - had a couple of hits but then decided to head over to around the trap shack and right off the point by beechy head, around 250m off shore and started banging them off relentlessly!

Saw a pod of about 4-5 orcas meandering along shore, quite fast, around 1:30pm near the trap shack - they were movin, took them about 3 minutes to get from trap shack to beechy head (could see their spouts clearly reflecting the sunlight)

Lots of eagles around, picking up bait fish and chasing around the seagulls.

Around 4-4:30pm @beechy the coho were finning all over the place, lots of heavy tide rip, caught 6 wild, 3 hatchery and wish DFO would get off their asses and open up wilds again since they're out there 3:1 ratio. Using glow white/black stripe reg size hoochie with smaller green flasher

Was netting one wild coho and another jumped about 3 ft away -- saw another swimming right past us (~10 lb) polarized sunglasses make things a lot easier to see in the water with all the glare.

All in all was a great day on Saturday, looking forward to another good weekend ahead :)

Was netting one wild coho and another jumped about 3 ft away --

really.... if you know its a wild, do the fish a favor and use a gaf to release him, better chance he will survive

Last edited by a moderator:
I leave them in the net, in the water so I can check their adipose before I haul them out. They all survive and swim off happy. I'm glad to see your concern for the fish, though. Been fishing for 23 years so I do know how to handle them without killing them :)

Good idea about the fly rods and bucktails.. Maybe time to get the trout rod with the blue fox.. Anybody with fly rods and sink tips with a clouser now is the time. Shut the boat down and start casting, coho are thick.

Dropped a blue white old school buzz bomb off Fraser after dropping my group off saturday. What a blast! Got ten pulls an bwammo...fish on! Reminded me of the old days and frew with Rob H ten years ago where we did the same.

Brought out a 6 1/2 ft trout rod today with a fly reel and 12 pound test (mini moocher) and a green trout size Apex, that was a blast.

Took my daughter out this morning and limited out in short order trolling a buzz bomb with 12lb test. 15 fish on the buzz bomb before packing it in. I haven't seen the coho this good in July since the early 80's.

Good for the crew today 2 springs low/high teen and some nice hatch coho to top them up there getting bigger thats for sure was anice calm but foggy day. 89 and 65 on the riggers heard one of the charter guys got a 32 as well so maybe there starting to come in???? btw BOTH of mine were whites

Wolf

where will the coho move to from sooke? will they be in the vic waterfront/OB area in the next few weeks?

where will the coho move to from sooke? will they be in the vic waterfront/OB area in the next few weeks?

Very few Coho ever make their way down to Oak bay.
I have caught a few off the waterfront in Sept/Oct.
Once past Sooke they seem to head offshore in the strait.

After gearing up and packing lunches for the last 2 days finally got the first trip out in my new boat today. Started out pretty rough wasnt sure if me and my other half could fish together. Now I know what people mean about hard to find a good fishing partner. Wow. Headed straight out of beecher bay and then the fog rolled in and I started kicking myself for not remembering the compass which the old boat owner took out. omg. good lesson learned early. Remember readin on here about at assholes with radar that blast around. Just about ended a 15yr relationship but hey the fish started biting. First one hatchery, second one little wild who tried to swallow my whole double tandem favorite white yamashita and white flasher (which would later be lost for not checking the knots and line after his little brawl with it and our brawl to get him unhooked. I have never seen a fish hook themselves that bad. Not a good way to start. About a dozen more before I had to go in to go to work. 2 outta 12 were clipped, 4 more got off. No springs. They seemed to really love the gold and green betsy with a 5" mongoose coyote. And the purple haze flasher with a oil slick squirt. Lots of boats. Lots of fish. Man work sucks.

ps all gaff releases so no one get there knickers in a knot

Last edited by a moderator:
Headin out tonight for an evening fish, havent heard of much going on in the evenings so il keep my fingers crossed, will post back later tonight!!!

Fishstalker - that's hilarious. I laughed and then I read your post to my wife. I've been bugging her to come fishing with me, and she hasn't come yet. I am now reconsidering!! Lol

Back