Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Addicted-I would love to. But i think im going to wait it out a couple of years. This has been my best year ever. I just hope it doesent one day stop :p.

Englishmen- It took me 5 years of fishing with my dad befor I had my first multiple spring day. mind you I was only 13 at the time. I had been running my own rod since 8. One day you wil dial it in and have a multiple spring day.

-Steve

SookeSalmonJuly18th2012030.jpg

SookeSalmonJuly18th2012029.jpg

SookeSalmonJuly18th2012028.jpg

SookeSalmonJuly18th2012033.jpg

A few from yesterday. A big thanks to Wise buys. Stopped in and grabbed a few new things and this weird green hootchie thing seems to amuse the silver ones!

-Steve

Fished otter from 630 till noonish. Caught a 10 lb spring around 830. Not too much happening at otter or muir.

Moved to trap down to beechy head where we hit the coho's for some fast action. Three double headers in 20 minutes. 4 hatch 4. Wild.

FFG. Pm sent

JL. (formally known as Bird Dog)

Guys, for clarity, as of July 16, are these regs still in place?

Chinook* min. 45 cm, wild or hatchery marked, only 1 greater than 67 cm 2
FN0496
South of Cadboro Pt. Sheringham Pt.

2 Chinook wild or hatchry over 45 and 2 coho hatchery only and no Sockeye, which is a shame cause they are around right now and 8 to 10 pounds.
As of July 16

Fished the trap from 9-3, went crazy for coho between 10-11 when the flood started, ratio was about 2 to 1 for wild vs. clipped, but managed to get 6 clipped and one 14lb spring. Can't keep bait down when the coho are turned on, had to switch to plastic. Had a couple double headers. Did see a nice 25 & 20 at the dock. Seems the coho that were in thick at Otter last weekend have moved east, by reading the lastest posts for Otter/Muir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, for clarity, as of July 16, are these regs still in place?

Fogged in clarified that for you, 2 over 45 now.

And to clarify again.... while FFG may be exaggerating the size a whee bit (not by much).. He aint lying... Kids on a roll.

"And to clarify again.... while FFG may be exaggerating the size a whee bit (not by much).. He aint lying... Kids on a roll. "

And he has an uncanny ability to weigh released fish to the lb. with his eyes. LOL

But I know he can count so the quantities are accurate.
Good work FFG

Tips

Yup, If he says 15 I say 14 :D

when you catch as many fish as I do you get a good sense of the size in the water. But hey I believe its a right earned by all fishermen to exaggerate the size by a max of 10% nothing more. :p

-STeve

Hey fishflyguy popn off will get you know where. Be humble my friend . Good work on getting some nice fish!

Fished 10-130. Coho continue to sit by Secretary. Lots of action.......shallow. Then tried springs....O'Brien to the Shack....no luck on springs.

Cloud

Hey fishflyguy popn off will get you know where. Be humble my friend . Good work on getting some nice fish!
It's always nice to get reports, but I can't help but agree with bananas.
I find the BEST fisherment are generally pretty humble.

A fishing report for mind readers like yourself wouldn't leave much to read for the rest of us. People tend to take things with a little grain of salt and enjoy what's left over.;)

when you catch as many fish as I do you get a good sense of the size in the water. But hey I believe its a right earned by all fishermen to exaggerate the size by a max of 10% nothing more. :p

-STeve
not sure what dragginbait is trying to say, but this is not a fishing report...

Here we go again,, every time a guy does well we get the few SELF apppionted top rods around Sooke trying to nock them down. I get a chuckle how they let their jelousy show through lol. To me that looks worse than a guy stating the obvious, which is he catches a lot of fish and as such has the ability to tell quite closely the poundage. Really in the end who gives a rats azz about a pound or two, throw your ego in the fish box and just congratulate the guy. I say good on you young man and keep the pics coming.

Back