Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Yes slower today. We hit 12 fish yesterday, keeping 5 and loosing more 5 up to 30...let a couple of teenagers go as well. Today we lost a good fish at the light on the change. Then slid back to Otter and picked up a 20 and a 15, lost another and kept a couple of clipped cohos. Springs were shallower for me when I finally found them at Otter...35 feet.

Here's the nicest one my buddy caught this morning near Otter Point. You think he's happy? He got it right around the tide change on an anchovy around 70-80 feet. He caught a smaller one as well. I released a small one, kept a decent one (maybe 10 lbs.) and lost one that felt pretty big. The big boy weighed about 25.5 lbs. A great day.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341199514.267392.jpg

went out today starting at the head,,trolled down to secretary and around and back,only caught one 8lber on anchovie,,then what a surprise,2 dungy keepers ,wow,
saw a guy at the dock who just caught a 38.6lber at the trap shack at about 12pm,,nice big fish,,seen quite a few nets come out today,,so people are catching lots of fish,,,good to see,,and a wack on the fish finder,,,yahoooooo

Out today from 6 to 1130 at otter...slow.....Picked up one hatchery coho...May have turned on after I left....Sounds like Chris73 and few others hit some fish toward Muir....Still was slim pickings.....Good day anyhow now coho on the bbq....

One last thing....guys sooke public ramp is a good thing...If you want to lose access keep parking in round about.. Not impressed when we came back... 4 turkeys parked there trailers there and went out...Read the signs it is not hard////

High Five

I Totally agree! Went out a biT later This morning! Lot was full so drovE up and parKed on the hIghway,,,,sOme peoPle are lazy!!!

Good for me today was nice to get out with my ol fishing bud with our lives so busy first time this year, We got our fish nothing big usuall cookie cutters.

On a side Note i hear you high five ALSO take NOTE THAT THERE IS A

NO WAKE ZONE IN FRONT OF SOOKE HARBOUR RESORT

I personally dont like it my boat smashing around its not funny take the extra 2 mins to get to the first red bouy and giver from then on. I am getting tired at telling people to slow down there is a sign there about 8 ft by 10 ft on either end of the marina.
if it continues ill bring over a bat and maybe take liberties on the boat thats making the wake.....(kidding) PLEASE slow down
thanks Wolf

Heres what came out of the Trap Shack this morning. Sad to say I wasn't there but my 2 halibut buddies struck some gold. CP, on the left caught the fish, 39lb 4 oz white, probably headed for the Harrison or Skagit rivers.

Attachments

• HPIM2403_resize.jpg
    HPIM2403_resize.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not the stellar morning yesterday... scratchy at the shack. Went for a spin with FFG's old man and only managed one that popped off at the back of the boat.

Funny how FFG only gets springs when hes on the boat.... and when nobody is looking :D

Funny Eh....Well hows this for a story...Lippy Bails on my pops this morning with no notice. Leaving him hanging at the dock for 45 mins to no avail. So capitan Steve had to come save the day. Out for 3.5 hours after getting home from camping all weekend. Had 7 hits. Landed 23,20 and 18 pounders. All on bait. Nice one Lippy. Coulden't handle a few Canada Day Wobbly pops or what?

-Steve Pics Later

A great weekend for fishing in Sooke. No big fish but lots up to 20lbs Saturday we had 3 hatchery chinooks out of 5 and lots of coho showing up. People need to learn how to release coho with out netting and placing them in the boat.
Sunday was slower but found a couple of springs and 1 of them we released. More coho today released them all. :)

IMG_1919.jpgFamily fishing for me today - something totally new! Maybe my wife is starting to come around...lol

Slow start at Otter early morning - was the second first boat out there. As usual, huge ebb is not to salmons liking. Plus ugly weed patches all over there made for high maintenance fishing. Trolled later little further west and found some action. First two bites were a miss, third stuck for a couple of minutes and two nice runs until we parted, then a 5 lbs clipped Coho came along for my son and the big finale was a scappy approx 25 lbs spring. Proud of my son's (9) fine net job - first attempt did it! Awesome family experience. Hopefully not the last time.

Funny Eh....Well hows this for a story...Lippy Bails on my pops this morning with no notice. Leaving him hanging at the dock for 45 mins to no avail. So capitan Steve had to come save the day. Out for 3.5 hours after getting home from camping all weekend. Had 7 hits. Landed 23,20 and 18 pounders. All on bait. Nice one Lippy. Coulden't handle a few Canada Day Wobbly pops or what?

-Steve Pics Later

LOL... Dick... I call mulligan on that one

Was out today with my lady. She's over 7 months pregnant and it was really cool to see her jumping up to grab a pumping rod and setting the hook. She also did a great job of netting today. We didn't land any springs today but did have some action. Released a handful of wild coho's, boated 3 hatch jobs, and lost a couple of nice fish. Had one hit on a coho killer that mangled it. Didn't stick though. Never had a spoon get so tweaked from a fish.

I also witnessed some jackass moves back at the dock and ramp. Know exactly what your talking about Roy. Just after we pulled up to the ramp, a guy in a big ole 30+' boat went trucking right by the marina and kicking up a big wake in his rear view. And how bout those cheeky buggers parking in the round about? I guess they own the joint.
IMG_0039.JPG

Well I guess after hearing the story and reason behind it your phone may ring for another shot to fish with the infamous Fishflyguy! LOL

On a side note. Here's a few from today and a couple days ago.

SookeSalmonJuly2nd2012010.jpg

SookeSalmonJuly2nd2012022.jpg

SookeSalmonJuly2nd2012025.jpg

SookeSalmonJuly2nd2012002.jpg

-Steve

Hey FFG89,

Great pics! Keep them coming!

And I'm sure that because you've learned how to crack the spring code and you're catching all those fish, you're knowledgeable enough to know that if you're going to turn loose a spring, it doesn't get netted and doesn't come over the gunnel into your boat, correct?

I don't see a net in your pictures so I presume all those fish in the grip n' grin hero shots got the wood shampoo and are home in your freezer and the pictures of the spring you're turning loose got shaken off the hook with a gaff and never got slung into your boat, correct?

It's great to see you're hooking all those fish and I can imagine you know full well that a fish that's going to get released doesn't deserve the indignity of getting beat up inside a net (scale loss = fungal infections)

Tight lines and to you

Some of you guys need to get off your high horses these fish are way more resilient then they are given credit for. If a guy wants a picture with a fish before setting it free it's their choice. If you can't say nice fish just shut up and if there is really a problem send the guy a pm not a public call out.

Almost every pic on this site gets jealous anglers whining "it's too small" "it's too big" "should have gaffe released it" "that's over the slot" "obviously a wild" "how many prawns is that" "OMG is that barb pinched enough? " ...

These pictures are for our enjoyment not for public criticism.

Hey FFG89,

Great pics! Keep them coming!

And I'm sure that because you've learned how to crack the spring code and you're catching all those fish, you're knowledgeable enough to know that if you're going to turn loose a spring, it doesn't get netted and doesn't come over the gunnel into your boat, correct?

I don't see a net in your pictures so I presume all those fish in the grip n' grin hero shots got the wood shampoo and are home in your freezer and the pictures of the spring you're turning loose got shaken off the hook with a gaff and never got slung into your boat, correct?

It's great to see you're hooking all those fish and I can imagine you know full well that a fish that's going to get released doesn't deserve the indignity of getting beat up inside a net (scale loss = fungal infections)

Tight lines and to you

I almost always tail a fish for pictures. I only take pictures of fish that are healthy and fresh and lightly hooked. if the fish is hurt and wont live it takes a slot on my license. If it is healthy and can be realeased with the gaff I will. I take pictures of about 0.25% of the springs I catch. So im sure im not hurting the population.

-Steve

Some of you guys need to get off your high horses these fish are way more resilient then they are given credit for.

actually that is not true. as soon as, and i do mean immediately, you remove a fish from water the cilia on the gills start to collapse. if you are into grip and grin shots, hold your breath, the fish should be back in the water by the time you have to breath. that said, the best shot is with the fish in the water. only the action of us as individuals is going to help preserve our dwindling wild fish.

actually that is not true. as soon as, and i do mean immediately, you remove a fish from water the cilia on the gills start to collapse. if you are into grip and grin shots, hold your breath, the fish should be back in the water by the time you have to breath. that said, the best shot is with the fish in the water. only the action of us as individuals is going to help preserve our dwindling wild fish.

Listen to all the experts !!!
Its guys like this that keep me from posting pics on this site.

Its called common sense people. Handle the fish as gently as you can if you are going to release it. If it isn't a special fish that you want a picture of, keep it in the water. If you want a nice pic of you or your bud holding the fish...fine just get everything set up before you remove it from the water and get it back in as soon as possible. Taking a picture adds a small risk to the fish but a camera is far less harmful than a club.

Fish fly guy

I cannot believe someone would post that crap. I support what you are doing. What you are doing is the true meaning of sport fishing. In essence fishing for the catch not the kill If you are able to tail a fish I would say you know enough.

Tight lines, steady shots, and happy releases

BD

Back