Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Its a dogfish eat dogfish world

Is it a dogfish eat dogfish world? Is everyone united for a common porpoise? Or do they all split off in their own special groupers? Well, one tragic story indicates it's not so perfect down there.
There was once a brilliant sturgeon on the staff of the community health fishility. He was in fact one of it's flounders. Wiser than salmon, a fin fellow who would never shrimp from his responsibilities, he was successful and happy and always whistled a happy tuna.
One day one of his patients, a mere whipper snapper, started trouting around telling everyone the sturgeon's treatments had made him more eel than he had been and the conked him with a malpractice suit.
Well, the sturgeon was in a real pickeral. The board chased him off the staff and demanded his oyster. But fortunately the case smelt to high heaven so the judge denied the plaintiff's clam.
The board tried to hire the sturgeon back but by then he had hit the bottlenose pretty hard. But what's really shad about the story is that the sturgeon ended up on squid-row...

Couldn't resist

Speaking for me anyways, I was just joking Rollie! Though I will say to a newbie fisherman, especially a kid, catching a dogfish can be pretty exciting, even a trip highlight. But after the first one or two, even the newbie is tired of it, keeping you from fishing for the ones you're after. Halibut winching is hard enough without having to do it over and over for doggies. :)

(Wicket: dogfish don't put up a fight at all, they just wiggle around ... nothing like salmon going for a screaming run)

PS Kristo: that's terrible! ;-)

Is it a dogfish eat dogfish world? Is everyone united for a common porpoise? Or do they all split off in their own special groupers? Well, one tragic story indicates it's not so perfect down there.
There was once a brilliant sturgeon on the staff of the community health fishility. He was in fact one of it's flounders. Wiser than salmon, a fin fellow who would never shrimp from his responsibilities, he was successful and happy and always whistled a happy tuna.
One day one of his patients, a mere whipper snapper, started trouting around telling everyone the sturgeon's treatments had made him more eel than he had been and the conked him with a malpractice suit.
Well, the sturgeon was in a real pickeral. The board chased him off the staff and demanded his oyster. But fortunately the case smelt to high heaven so the judge denied the plaintiff's clam.
The board tried to hire the sturgeon back but by then he had hit the bottlenose pretty hard. But what's really shad about the story is that the sturgeon ended up on squid-row...

Couldn't resist

That's it.... You're a spammer :rolleyes:

SpamAlert.jpg

I don't understand what it said but I couldn't help but laugh

Of for night bite last night. Started at head and nadda for few hrs. Moved to possession and bonked one 16 lber within minutes, lost another shortly after. Then on my last pass got myself my first tyee of season weighing in 35 lbs. all on bait.

Juandesooka..yep I read your reply that way and saw the wink. Heading out tonight (if the wind stays down, which it is supposed to ) for a rare late afternoon and evening fish. Looking forward to a night fish and a night bite. Seems like the bigger fish are coming later in the day lately.

Today started off as D-Day (disaster day) with a series of mishaps. Lost a brand new 12lb ball & bungee when the clip broke from the cable, then when we had a teener to the boat my brand new Trophy xl reel jammed and the fish broke off, then my brand new HMX rod snapped in half while removing it from the rod holder.

Wasn't a total loss, nailed this 24lb white off the head just as we were headed in at 12:45. Great fight. Going straight to the new Bradley smoker. Hope it doesn't break too.

Anyone ever heard of a Trophy reel jamming where it won't wind out? It did this to me last week also.

Attachments

• 24lb beechy 003.jpg
    24lb beechy 003.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 115
Speaking for me anyways, I was just joking Rollie! Though I will say to a newbie fisherman, especially a kid, catching a dogfish can be pretty exciting, even a trip highlight. But after the first one or two, even the newbie is tired of it, keeping you from fishing for the ones you're after. Halibut winching is hard enough without having to do it over and over for doggies. :)

(Wicket: dogfish don't put up a fight at all, they just wiggle around ... nothing like salmon going for a screaming run)

PS Kristo: that's terrible! ;-)

Thansk Juan....just wondering thats all. I understand how it could be a pain. I learn a lot on this forum. Damnit I had a good trip in 09 out there. Damnit i dislike SW Ontario. Damnit I love fresh oysters, prawns and crab. Ok enough feeling sorry for myself

Today started off as D-Day (disaster day) with a series of mishaps. Lost a brand new 12lb ball & bungee when the clip broke from the cable, then when we had a teener to the boat my brand new Trophy xl reel jammed and the fish broke off, then my brand new HMX rod snapped in half while removing it from the rod holder.

Wasn't a total loss, nailed this 24lb white off the head just as we were headed in at 12:45. Great fight. Going straight to the new Bradley smoker. Hope it doesn't break too.

Anyone ever heard of a Trophy reel jamming where it won't wind out? It did this to me last week also.

Kyla, I've been using Trophy reels since they 1st came on the market..I've never had major issues when new but the drag after a while, can be sticky.If you bought your gear at Trotac? I find they are very helpful, when it comes to making it right!

If it helps.. bad luck usally only comes in threes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Out this afternoon for a few hours trying to troll through the garden floating around the Head for awhile, then headed to the Bedfords via Aldridge and only had one sniff and that was it.

I didn't lose any gear or break any rods but my new Lowrance Elite 5 is still screwing up, it says I'm in 1.5 ft of water when I'm in 200 or anywhere in between. I works occasionally but it's starting to really pi$$ me off.

Kaladog, I to have found the drag very senitive on the new tyee reels. One of my fishing partners lost a fish the same way set the drag a little to tight. It takes a bit of playing with the drag to get it right.

My dad broke a brand new HMX on a 10 pound chinook while it was on its side. Very sad must have been a flaw in a few of them.

On a side note. Out tonight from 5:30-9. Hit one 16 pounder at sh#t Rock.

-Steve

Heading out to sooke tommorrow afternoon for a couple days of fishing. Can't wait! Will report when I get back. What channel you guys mostly use over there?

Tight lines

Im on 72 mostly or 71 is where some guides are good luck and welcome to sooke fishing has been good ...

Have fun and good luck Wolf

I am sure you don't need me to tell you there are lots of fish at Sooke
Just got back with our limit, tailed 4 and released them, kept a 14 and 18.

Thanks guys. Leaving to catch the 3:00pm ferry. See you on the water!

Dragginbait check your transducer options. My hds7 was giving me issues and I found the frequency option was set to 50hz but my transducer was a 200hz model. I changed the option to 200hz and it is working good now. In short make sure your frequency setting matches the transducer. I'm assuming you made sure it wasn't flipped up or covered in junk when you were out there.

Back