Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Was out today with my lady. She's over 7 months pregnant and it was really cool to see her jumping up to grab a pumping rod and setting the hook. She also did a great job of netting today. We didn't land any springs today but did have some action. Released a handful of wild coho's, boated 3 hatch jobs, and lost a couple of nice fish. Had one hit on a coho killer that mangled it. Didn't stick though. Never had a spoon get so tweaked from a fish.

IMG_0039.JPG

I have that same glow white and green Coho killer all mangled up worse than that one from a monster size Coho a couple of years ago. Bent the tail over 90 degrees, knocked off a lot of the paint and eventually broke off the hook at the eye. They work well but it would be nice if they were made a bit more heavy duty. I am thinking cut off the welded ring and add a split ring and a small swivel before the hook.

What's with all the 5-8 lb Coho off Otter these days. About the same size as their fall Coho.

put a split ring and a swivel between your hook n spoon , problem solved...
great producer for me this past winter...
makes it look even longer = better ; )

m2b

fd

I have that same glow white and green Coho killer all mangled up worse than that one from a monster size Coho a couple of years ago. Bent the tail over 90 degrees, knocked off a lot of the paint and eventually broke off the hook at the eye. They work well but it would be nice if they were made a bit more heavy duty. I am thinking cut off the welded ring and add a split ring and a small swivel before the hook.

Well Im thinking you dident read my post correctly. I only take pictures of 0.25% of the springs I catch. Im thinking people can F*ck off. Its a joke. If your on the website regularly you would know i am knowledgable enough to know how to safely treat a fish that is being released.

I think you should all get your panties out of a knot and worry about the guys who are clubbing wild coho or how about the half a dozen sockeye that are being cleaned! How about guys who bring the fish in the boat in a new to realease it.

Give it a rest or I will stop posting 100% cuz this is a effing JOKE!

-Steve

FFG, the opinions of a couple is not the consensus of the whole forum, let them have an opinion, I'm sure there are tons here that appreciate and admire your efforts and reports out there!

A little late on the report but we fished for a couple hours on the 29th just around possession before dark. Didn't catch anything. The 30th started off better with a nice 14lb spring off of possession. Fished hard all day towards the east and back to possession where we finally got some action in the evening. Landed 4 springs consisting of one double header. Nice way to end the day! Fish were caught on anchovies and coyote spoon. The 1st was slower for us loosing two springs and releasing a wild coho at otter. Called it a day early afternoon. it was a great weekend to be out with some nice fish landed. Will be back up there early August for a week. Can't wait.

Well i can speak for myself and i feel that there is a lot on here now that are what I call armchair fisherman we are out there alot and people like to question where what when then slag us afterwards thats why myself and a few of the regulars dont post much anymore. including Justin. some guys on here just dont get it....
sorry

wolf

I agree as well, it is a joke reading some of this crap....Always people that are jealous when someone gets something... same crap with hunting as well.

I stopped going to this forum because of some of the loser posts, I read it every once in a while but it pisses me off. Alot of guys thinking their sh$& dont stink.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally want to thank all the people on this site for posting productive information and putting up pictures of catches. I am new to this site and fishing sooke, so i find this info very helpful for building my foundation and learning the areas to fish etc. i havent been having the best luck out there so hearing other peoples good fortunes makes me more eager to get out and try to catch the big one...so please dont stop doing what your doing...hopfully people can keep using this thread for what it is, posting fishing reports, and stop bashing people for catching fish and reporting on it in the sooke fishing report thread....

I really enjoy the posts and updates. I don't get a chance to get out too often, so I just check in here and satisfy my fishing craving. I really don't like the negative posts or people jumping on other guys.
It sounds like a few have stopped posting for this reason, that's too bad. I hope we can get back to the 'reports'!

Like my dad use to say "If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your pie hole shut". Keep it up guys and less and less posters will post photos or reports. You know who you are.

Out yesterday Monday July2nd. Otter Point 5am hits coming in till 5:30am, slow rest of the day until 2:30pm & lots of boats catching salmon till around 4pm. Great time for most around the flood tide. All 3 fish on my boat (small 8lbrs) caught at 75' (lure) in 150' to 200' water. The best setup was gold betsy flasher with purple haze teaser head.

Out yesterday Monday July2nd. Otter Point 5am hits coming in till 5:30am, slow rest of the day until 2:30pm & lots of boats catching salmon till around 4pm. Great time for most around the flood tide. All 3 fish on my boat (small 8lbrs) caught at 75' (lure) in 150' to 200' water. The best setup was gold betsy flasher with purple haze teaser head.

Thanks for the report Biscuit. Congrat's on the good eat's. What lure were you using?

I not only enjoy the posts I read them and use that info to help improve my chances of having a successful trip, fish info weather info, tides, bait, gear depth and safety tips. The amount of knowledge combined in these pages far exceeds our own knowledge. I've been reading peoples posts for so long it is as if I know most of you quite well. Please don't let the actions of a few dimwits get in the way. Posting and reporting is what this site is about and I haven't even started talking about how much I enjoy the pictures. Keep up the good posts and forget about S.N.I.O.P.( Susceptible to the Negative Influences of Other People).....Steve.

i learn something of value almost everytime i read this BB. places, techniques and so forth bring out a great deal of hard earned knowledge. learning to handle fish we intend to release is also knowledge all of us need to acquire. as was posted in another thread, it is already illegal to bring any fish to be released over the gunnel in WA. they did this for a reason that some dimwits can't seem to get their brains around. mortality from our handling or overplaying fish is a real problem. check out the thread on this very topic, great info from knowledgable folks.

Back