Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

I have the Lowrance Elite gold, got nothing but good things to say about it, make sure all your settings are correct, i belive there is an option to turn off the sounder, so obviously make sure it is turned on, aswell as what GDW said, make sure it is set to 200hz. So far this unit has been the best one i have ever owned, i can get accurate depth readings at troll and while cruising 30 knots to the grounds.

Good fishing today finally had a day off from other work im doing right now weird to be off the water for soooo long sunny flat calm just a great awesome day....couple high teens and low teens gonna be damn good on the bbq tommorow night....
Lippy you know what to do LOL LOL

Attachments

• SOOKE SALMON 2012 014.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2012 014.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 155
Out 2-4:30. Hubby picked up a beauty 17 pounder off Possession, 60 ft in 70 ft of water, bloody nose anchovy head. A couple runs.....hubby had a blast!! great to have an extra day off!! Xena

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep beauty day, flat as a pancake water all day and good bite early and at tide change then a bit of a grind the rest of the day. Kept 25, 20, 12 and a 10. Released a couple of teenagers earlier on and kept a clipped coho. Fished Otter to the light. I blew up my main power yesterday on the way to the ramp to do a monthly clean up and service . SG Power really came through with some A1 service for me. I called them at 1:30pm from Sooke with a self diagnosis of a blown piston. Was there at 2:15, dropped off the boat and headed home to pick up my zero hour rebuilt spare. By the timed I got back to the shop the motor was off the boat and by 5:30 we had the spare installed and running. Headed straight back to Sooke, splashed the boat and ran it from 7PM to 9pm breaking it in. Purring like a kitten this morning and didn't have to pass up any work. Thanks Bob Parker, Wayne, Matt and Doug for your help.

Quite a few sockeyes today at Otter early afternoon. Some good sized ones too. Unfortunately a few other skippers ony realized the true species by the time it was flopping on the floor. C'mon guys, pay attention! One smallish coho found my hook too. Couldn't find a decent spring today so came in empty after all but that's fine. Great day with the kids.

First salmon in the boat!

Got out with the whole family tonight for a great evening. We went out two days last weekend, and failed to get our one solid hit to the boat. Tonight we had one hit, and with some luck, we got him to the boat. This is our first salmon on the boat we picked-up in the Spring. Caught it at the Trap on a red/silver coyote spoon that I just picked up at WiseBuys this afternoon, thanks for the suggestion Colin!

Many more to come - and thanks to all on here for the motivation - love seeing what others are catching and hearing your tips! Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20120629_184110.jpg
    IMG_20120629_184110.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 131
Got a 6, 18 and a 20 mid-afternoon earlier today, out near Beechey Head, on anchovies in 40-50 feet. It was a great afternoon on the water, very calm!

I think sockeye will open this year but like last year it will probably open the first week or so in August after most of the run has passed us by. Still late would be better then nothing.

Yep beauty day, flat as a pancake water all day and good bite early and at tide change then a bit of a grind the rest of the day. Kept 25, 20, 12 and a 10. Released a couple of teenagers earlier on and kept a clipped coho. Fished Otter to the light. I blew up my main power yesterday on the way to the ramp to do a monthly clean up and service . SG Power really came through with some A1 service for me. I called them at 1:30pm from Sooke with a self diagnosis of a blown piston. Was there at 2:15, dropped off the boat and headed home to pick up my zero hour rebuilt spare. By the timed I got back to the shop the motor was off the boat and by 5:30 we had the spare installed and running. Headed straight back to Sooke, splashed the boat and ran it from 7PM to 9pm breaking it in. Purring like a kitten this morning and didn't have to pass up any work. Thanks Bob Parker, Wayne, Matt and Doug for your help.

That's professionalism on both ends. You for having a spare and them for acting so fast.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Out for a fish sat Landed 3 springs 15-18 lbs. they sure
Put up a fight today. They faught great few great runs by all fish. Missed a few good smacks aswell. Most were off secretary one at possession, down deep

WAYYY slower for us today and everywhere it sounded like so dirty oar your the highliter LOL
saw maybe 4 fish got to yesterday we had 3 on lost them all and one great battle for about 20 mins with a seal...... my buddies arms were really tired after that one LOL LOL still a nice day

wolf

Dave S, tried to send you a PM - your mailbox is full and does not accept more. Please clean up!
Cheers!

I know you will find them next time wolfy ,boat two 10,20 and misted one all at 60 feet boomer and A couple boats around me picked up fish over 30 lb at reef just east of you not many fish around or the bite was short Goodluck boomer

Picked up a pair of 20's on Saturday with the Rock. One at the shack and one off the Head trolling backwards in that heavy flood. Both deep and both whites. Fun morning...but seemed a bit slow overall.

Picked up a pair of 20's on Saturday with the Rock. One at the shack and one off the Head trolling backwards in that heavy flood. Both deep and both whites. Fun morning...but seemed a bit slow overall.
How deep?80,90,110?

Out at 5:00, had a teenager on the 3rd rod on a silver coho killer and another on chovie at the head in the rough stuff at 63 ft, back at the dock by 8:00. Good morning...

Definitely not the stellar morning yesterday... scratchy at the shack. Went for a spin with FFG's old man and only managed one that popped off at the back of the boat.

Funny how FFG only gets springs when hes on the boat.... and when nobody is looking :D

took the rook out to the trap shack yesterday,we caught a 16lber,12,9,7 back at the dock by 11:30 after checking our crab traps and release a wack to female dungy's
took another buddy out today and fished the shack again and picked up a 12 and a 10lber ,,all on anchovie at 50 feet,,then it blew up at about 1:30 or so then we went to check our crab traps again,,in beecher bay with all the others,,a wack to real big female dungy's,,,,were are all the males???
last weekend took the rook and my other fishing buddy to china creek and fished in the rain for 2 1/2 days,,not even a bite,,lousy wet weekend,,we were camping at china creek,,i did like the place though..may go back one day

Fished the Trap today 5:30-noon. 2 small ones that we threw back. Saw quite a few small ones get caught and people netting them WTF. Did see one nice one being played, think it was Afternoon Delight, 23 ft Hourston, anyway looked like a nice fish. The wind did pick up near noon though.

Back