Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Sounds like a big spring to me ... those big ones have a higher gear, it isn't like a 20 pounder plus a little more, it's a whole different level. And once you've had a reel zinging like that in your hand, peeling line so fast you can't believe it.....then YOU'RE hooked! :) Next time you'll get it, always next time...

Sometimes it takes a big fish a while to realize it's hooked
I've had them take the bait softly, sometimes not even enough to release the clip.
when it feel's you wind down and set the the hook, thats when the fireworks start.

I had a similar situation last week... but got to see the fish about 40 ft off the back of the boat. Fins were a good size.. came to the surface easy but than turned and peeled line straight out/down for a good 150 feet without a pause. Drag was near full,and eventually line went slack I reeled like a ******* to find nothing but a broken leader. The adrenaline was unmatched so far for me on the water. Frustrating but that's fishing... it should not be easy to land the big ones! Still on the look out for the slab with a red tigerprawn teaser head.

Thats why I don't mess around this time of the year. Mostly fish 40lb main line when using cheaper less flexible rods and flashers and 30 with good rods and always 50 lb leader on hootchies and chovies. The 33 we got a few days back ran very hard and fast. Lost a monster on 30 pound leader 3 years ago and then switched to 50 lb leader and have not had a leader break off since. Did have a friend break one off on 30lb mainline.

Salmon are not leader shy and I don't want to loose that very rare, near impossible Sooke Chinook of a lifetime (45 to 55 lbs) if we finally luck into one because we are using 30 lb leader. Also when you luck into a good Hali while salmon fishing or are fighting a seal for possession of your tyee you won't be unhappy that you have heavy leader.

It is also extra insurance hauling in kelp as we sometimes like to fish in the weeds because sometimes the fish are under them and fishing in the crowds we fish in you sometimes have to play fish tighter than you would like or would do in less crowded places and if you have someone inexperienced who tend to play fish too tight and clamps the reel, they break off less.

Last edited by a moderator:
they are there we got into them good today as you seen, i did notice you were slower than me and you had some weird looking dude steering!!!!??? LOL LOL
wolf
Hey Wolf
I heard it was pretty slow off Sooke and Renfrew for past few days...good on you for a good day yesterday.
Were you out today...any springs show on the big ebb or 1st of the flood?

Landed 2 springs out of 3 this morning, nothing very big. It seemed like the afternoon was going to produce but left an hour into the flood.

Thats why I don't mess around this time of the year. Mostly fish 40lb main line when using cheaper less flexible rods and flashers and 30 with good rods and always 50 lb leader on hootchies and chovies. The 33 we got a few days back ran very hard and fast. Lost a monster on 30 pound leader 3 years ago and then switched to 50 lb leader and have not had a leader break off since. Did have a friend break one off on 30lb mainline.

Salmon are not leader shy and I don't want to loose that very rare, near impossible Sooke Chinook of a lifetime (45 to 55 lbs) if we finally luck into one because we are using 30 lb leader. Also when you luck into a good Hali while salmon fishing or are fighting a seal for possession of your tyee you won't be unhappy that you have heavy leader.

It is also extra insurance hauling in kelp as we sometimes like to fish in the weeds because sometimes the fish are under them and fishing in the crowds we fish in you sometimes have to play fish tighter than you would like or would do in less crowded places and if you have someone inexperienced who tend to play fish too tight and clamps the reel, they break off less.

Nice to know Rockfish... after that incident I went home and switched out my 30lb leaders for 40lb... may have to tool up a couple of my fav's with 50lb too! The Big Spring clearly bit thru the 30lb leader.

It didnt produce :( (the flood) a few smaller ones i saw caught we managed an nice 20s early and some hatch coho and released a very nice huge coho. now full moon coming up could be interesting hear its kinda slow all over reny alberni (mackeral) who knows what the next 2 weeks hold...

good luck Wolf

Wolfy Reny is not slow , it's not on fire but if you put a full day in on the beach we've been hitting 5-10 springs a day !!! And just off shore a bit so many coho you can't keep your gear in the water

Taking my brother-in-law off Sooke tomorrow. Otter still producing. Muir dead the other day.

Wolfy Reny is not slow , it's not on fire but if you put a full day in on the beach we've been hitting 5-10 springs a day !!! And just off shore a bit so many coho you can't keep your gear in the water
Thanks for the report Wolf and Trevor.
You guys are two of the top guides and I always appreciate hearing how you are doing!!
It sounds like if are looking for Springs, you know what you are doing and put in the time, you will get rewarded at Sooke or Renfrew.
We did well at Renfrew a little while back.
We have been doing ok off Sooke, but all Springs in the teens.
Hopefully we will have some luck with a big Spring or two tomorow.

That is nice, where did you go to fishing ?

That is nice, where did you go to fishing ?

Bananers guides out of Renfrew for the summer.

Good to hear you're poundin 'em 'Naners

Fished from 11-4 around Otter, conditions where good a couple of small 10-12 Lbs Chins, several missed hits, and two TANK Cohos that fought like Springs, all on Bait from 70-90 off the Rigger. Good Day Driller

Nice day but slow fishing for us off the trap, beechy and offshore. 1 wild coho released early and thats about it for the next 6 hours. Started getting desperate and rummaging thru the tackle box throwing anything I could on the line. You wonder why you keep some of the stuff you haven't used in years. Saw 1 10lber at the dock

nice evening out with no keepers
cheers

2012-08-29193932.jpg

ITS never slow for you trev but others "yes" as for sooke they are there you just have to work for them like you said not red hot....
wolf

The whales were absent most of the summer apparently fishing the north end of the Island outside of their traditional grounds. Now they are around every day or every 2nd day...would tell me that the waters up north have dried up for them.

YEP and they were at it again today must admit awsome SHOW breeching and yes fishing was bad!!!!!
tommorow hopefully better.....

Back