Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

My buddy used my boat this morning and then picked me up at 2:00 to go out for a couple of hours so we went to the Head and he had 2 hits/missed and I got into a screamer about 50 ft off of the corner of the head and lost it trying to hold it away from the boat that shot in between me and the rocks. I guess we need a bigger ocean. Tried a different teaser head today red/yellow/glow and was tying up something different when the fish hit so it gets a second chance now.

Put in a Marathon today. Fished from 10:00am till 8:00pm. Trolled for three and a half hours at Muir, but NADA. Picked up and came back to Secretary/Possession for the late afternoon and evening. NADA. Not a touch on anything for the entire 10 hours. Anchovies never scratched. Saw one fish caught all day. Today’s unsuccessful gear was green/glo and purple haze teasers (bullet roll) and purple/gold teaser (JDF) with green/gold betsy and purple haze UV flashers. All fished from 50 to 120 feet at various times and places. May as well post what is not working as well as what does (which for me when targeting the summer chinooks is pretty rare!!) LOL:D:D

You are doing something wrong bud.....:D

tick tock... tick tock,..... next days of Tuesday ,Wednesday. watching and waiting until my next days off. Thanks English and Wolf for keeping my interest peeked.
English ... I'm figuring by next year YOU will be the next Great Oracle of Sooke fishing. You've put the time in. :)

You are doing something wrong bud.....:D

I am absolutely sure you are right. I just cannot figure out what.......:D

(I am using the same type of gear /leader length etc. that got me a couple last year, but it sure ain't workin' this year)..........:(

Hmmm, I'm having an issue also. I'd be interested in what tweaks English is having to make? I'm also putting in a lot of man hrs with little result.

yah know, i hear you folks on the VHF while i am out on the strait on this side of the line. you share locations, whats happenning and sometimes gear involved. that is the way it should be for everyone. down this way, none of that is shared, or at least very little. there are a very few guys down here who continue to be successful but getting any info out of them is like pulling teeth. you would think they believe they have some top secret to protect, geez. good for you folks, its the way it used to be all along the US coast, fishermen sharing.

white lightening coho killer behind a purple haze (28") was scratching up plenty of jacks and a few keepers before the chinook season ended until october. about 100' on the wire. yesterday was shaker day with 2 lost at the boat and a wild coho released. pretty scratchy with the big current flows (2.5k) pushing us WAY west.

yah know, i hear you folks on the VHF while i am out on the strait on this side of the line. you share locations, whats happenning and sometimes gear involved. that is the way it should be for everyone. down this way, none of that is shared, or at least very little. there are a very few guys down here who continue to be successful but getting any info out of them is like pulling teeth. you would think they believe they have some top secret to protect, geez. good for you folks, its the way it used to be all along the US coast, fishermen sharing.

white lightening coho killer behind a purple haze (28") was scratching up plenty of jacks and a few keepers before the chinook season ended until october. about 100' on the wire. yesterday was shaker day with 2 lost at the boat and a wild coho released. pretty scratchy with the big current flows (2.5k) pushing us WAY west.

Sorry to hear it is so tightlipped over your way Reeklfast. Over here, everyone has been just fantastic with sharing. I was a complete beginner starting in 2010 and I was offered loads of tips and advice when I went on this forum. I wrote about this great experience for SportfishingBC and they posted my story on the Fish Tales section here:-
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/fishtales.html#6
With hands on coaching from a couple of people on this forum I was able to get three summer chinook last year. It just don't seem to be working this year. Maybe I've just forgotten everything already...LOL :D
Anyway, there is always the winter fishery, which is far easier.....:)

DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS is all i can say I see guys out all the time never pay attention to what the guides or other great fisherman out there do. there is certain things as some will comment on that get fish.

And please pay attention yelled at a guy today to go on the outside of me as the fish I had on was going right into his track coming down on me he didnt budge or move so floored it right at his boat forcing him to move and turn all the while this clown is cussing me WTF if someone has a fish on give room to whoever it is its common courtesy MY GOD its really not that hard out there a bit goes a long way if you think your too close you ARE too close, trust me it will be returned if not well dont ask..... LOL

Wolf

yelled at a guy today to go on the outside of me as the fish I had on was going right into his track coming down on me he didnt budge or move so floored it right at his boat forcing him to move and turn all the while this clown is cussing me WTF if someone has a fish on give room Wolf[/QUOTE said:
I know what you mean Wolf...we were at Renfrew this week and same thing.....I just run my boat as fast as I can between doe doe and the fish and get the same kind of reaction....mostly new guys who haven't got anything other that cursing figured out!

DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS is all i can say I see guys out all the time never pay attention to what the guides or other great fisherman out there do. there is certain things as some will comment on that get fish.

And please pay attention yelled at a guy today to go on the outside of me as the fish I had on was going right into his track coming down on me he didnt budge or move so floored it right at his boat forcing him to move and turn all the while this clown is cussing me WTF if someone has a fish on give room to whoever it is its common courtesy MY GOD its really not that hard out there a bit goes a long way if you think your too close you ARE too close, trust me it will be returned if not well dont ask..... LOL

Wolf

And you're not the only one he harangued :rolleyes:
This guy’s donuts would make Homer Simpson proud - time to put Barney on the wheel...

Tried a little cut plugging this morning, the fish didn’t seem as excited as we were.. after seeing several springs landed – didn’t need to be a genius to realize it was time to change tactics. Finished off with a couple of nice cookie cutter springs and a short release a la Homer!

[edit] Yay!.... I figured out the quotes!... I am going away now.......

AMEjI.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf

Lol,, besides the awesome fishing this is one of the best things about fishing Ukee this past summer, the lack of boats. It was so nice not having the congestion that there is around Sooke. Oh there would be a few boats on the holes but nothing like what happens on the spots around Sooke. You might have 10 - 15 boats on a given location but they would be spread out over maybe a mile or so of fishing. Other than off the Lighthouse no one really even had a set tack they stuck too. There was enough room people just kind of wonder around lol. Yah it was a nice break from Sooke, but with that said I still miss the place, even with all its idiots lol..

I wish there was a practical/profitable use for eel grass....we'd all be rich today. Had great action this morning before all the weed moved in, one 17lb, lost another one around 10lb and let a large Sockeye off beside the boat! Fished off the flats to stay out of Possession's traffic, tons of bait and room to move around.

Finally got my kicker working and back on and got out fishing on my own boat. We had no trouble getting into Chinook but must be rusty at playing them. Had one break us off and another one that was a rooky mistake when a big one hit and sulked down deep, so thinking it was still on the rigger, yanked on it hard and pulled the hook out of its mouth. Lost another when we had to turn into a fish giving it slack to go behind and avoid another boat and another that just got off. But we still managed an 18, 20 and 25 lb Chinook. Fished across the harbor mouth, the Bluffs, Secretary and Possession and found most were not all that deep today . The green glow teaser head worked well.

Any coho out in the shipping lanes? been pretty quiet the last day or so............... too windy for us. love to hear any reports, chinook or otherwise. glad to hear that they snookered that poacher down Victoria way. Here we are, playing by the rules to have some jerk raping the fishery! Xena

YES there is fish around been good try old school notables the bigger ones are 29.55 and 28 .3 lbs from the week today was with my hunting partner and his daughter she had a blast she even reeled in the 1 spring about 12 lbs

The first pic i had to take as this I found amusing they back the truck back even further (just missed on the camera sorry) the front tires were under as well looked like a brand new dodge hate to see the undercarriage in a month or so.... WOW

lippy you know what to do

Wolf

Attachments

• SOOKE SALMON 2012 097.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2012 097.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 419
  • SOOKE SALMON 2012 086.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2012 086.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 371
  • SOOKE SALMON 2012 090.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2012 090.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 368
  • SOOKE SALMON 2012 096.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2012 096.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator:
lippy you know what to do

God freakin dammit Roy.......

I have paid up all my quarters... I need to show you how to do this.... you supply the beer

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back