Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

No probem Lippy got a case dedicated in the fridge for you LOL LOL

Hi Guys,

I am asking you for help or advise. Because my friends and I went to fishing a lot and no fish. We are getting frustrated.

My friend has a 16 foot Aluminum boat with two electric downriggers.

We will go to fishing from Secretary Island to possession Point.

We will use Glow green Tease anchovy behide the purple onion flasher or purple haze flaser. Downrigger about 45' to 70'

We use 13 lbs pancake weight for downrigger when We troll the downrigger cable move to 45 degree.

We have been trying with copcar or purple hazle or Green double glow coho killers. It never works. what a JOKE!. The Island Outfitters said that the coho killer were awesome.

maybe We did wrong way to use that? how long leader use for the coho killer? Spoons? real bait or Baitrix? etc

We will use 3 rods.

Maybe We trolled too fast?

What is your suggest we will catch some couples of springs.

Thank you

Discus.

you are doing mostly the right things.
Fish the tide change and the flood. Vary your depths between 20 and 120'
Lighter early in the morning and then go deeper.
AND use anchovie if you are looking for Springs.
There were so many coho there in July, I would be VERY surprised if you didn't have success with them...but they have for the most part moved on.
Don't be aftraid to move up to the Trap Shack or the Head as well.
Good Luck...no doubt others will have advice for you as well

This time of year is hit and miss. If you fish every day, you start to see patterns and know where to be at the right time. If you just fish once in a while, it's a crap shoot ... put down your gear and hope for the best (and maximize your probabilities with the tips from fogged in). If you caught a spring every 2nd trip, I think you'd be doing about as well as most. I think it is unrealistic to expect you'll catch a salmon every time out, much less limiting out on big ones. But when the coho or pinks are in thick, that can save many a walk of shame... ;-)

Don't be hard on yourself or discouraged, just enjoy being out on the water, and be patient....keeping doing all the right things consistently, and success will come. You may consider putting some $$ down for one of the top rods to take you out for a day .... watch and learn, maybe a small price to pay if it gets you on the right track.

[and a technical note....there are some who are big believers in electrical discharge as fish attractor or repeller; if you are using stainless steel downrigger wire, you should test the electrolysis of your boat. Search "black box" here for how to do it. Not sure if I believe it or not, but can't hurt to rule it out. This is also important if you have an aluminum boat ... if you're running "hot", it will also damage the metal on your boat if moored]

That truck doesn't really look that far down the ramp I was expecting a lot worse from the post. It's not like the truck is half submerged or anything. It's going to be just fine. I think it's quite rude taking somebodys picture and posting it online for other peolpe to make fun of. This isn't the first time you've done it. Chances are the people you post pictures of are on this forum or know somebody who is and will find out. If it was me I wouldn't be impressed.

Hi Guys,

maybe We did wrong way to use that? how long leader use for the coho killer? Spoons? real bait or Baitrix? etc

Discus.

i find leader length with coho killers to be very important. i use exactly 28". we troll at about 1.5k but the currents have things to do with that speed. depth, shallower in the dim early AM light, deeper as the sun moves overhead.

i find leader length with coho killers to be very important. i use exactly 28". we troll at about 1.5k but the currents have things to do with that speed. depth, shallower in the dim early AM light, deeper as the sun moves overhead.

we fish for chinook on our bottom lines with anchovie 50-125 feet,and on our top line we fish a pink squirt with a 24 inch leader with a 4 oz slip weight for coho,,and that works great for us,,i use to have the wire line on my down riggers and a black box ,,then i changed to braided down rigger line with much more success,,

Thanks guy for advise.

Hi Reelfast, Thank you for your tip about coho killer.

Well Let me try with 7 feet leader for bait on the green glow teaser beside the flasher.

What is about the spoon? coyote spoon 4.0 " or 5.0" with 60" leader beside the flasher?

My assume that the 13 lbs pancake weight is more down than the 10 lbs cannon ball because we trolled too fast. The mature springs are very fussy and slow.

Tomorrow early morning, my friends and I will go to fishing around 530 am. We will try 30' to 70' In late morning around 9 am we will try 45' to 80'

Will successful to catch some big springs?

Last middle of July, We fished at church rock we caught some wild cohos and no hatchery coho. We released all wild cohos.

Thank you for your feedbacok.

cheers
Discus.

we fish for chinook on our bottom lines with anchovie 50-125 feet,and on our top line we fish a pink squirt with a 24 inch leader with a 4 oz slip weight for coho,,and that works great for us,,i use to have the wire line on my down riggers and a black box ,,then i changed to braided down rigger line with much more success,,

Hi Rook 2, thank you for your feedback.. I will follow you what you did. We do not have a black box.

What is 1.5 K ?

thanks
Discus

Hes talking knots about 2 mph on your Gps and about a 4 ft to 5 ft leader is all you will need as you want the flasher to make it move a bit any longer you wont get the benifit of the action of the flasher whipping it sounds like you have the speed right watch the guys who get lots if your faster or sloer than them speed or slow down the angle sounds righttry one shorter than what you have sometimes these fish can be off the bite and you have to get a reaction bite out of them and **** them of to make em bite, ever fished a river and plunk the bait beside them nothing... then throw a spoon that makes noise and aggravates them... and you get a strike??? sma ething make em mad .

good luck Wolf

The first pic i had to take as this I found amusing they back the truck back even further (just missed on the camera sorry) the front tires were under as well looked like a brand new dodge hate to see the undercarriage in a month or so.... WOW

Wolf

Anyone who has lived in parts of eastern Canada during the winter will know that the road salt spray that gets blasted into every crevice of cars and trucks over a period of months is a lot worse that this brief dunking. Those vehicles live in a salt bath all winter. Corrosion prevention is a lot better than it used to be. As a kid, I remember seeing rust emerge on cars that were a couple of years old and probably not even paid for!

Teamed up with Rob H today, had to work for it for sure.. fish were found in small pockets - the am, 40' - 60' proved most productive.

Hit 7 - released 3..kept 2 - 20lb range, fish are starting to show some gold tones.

Any coho out in the shipping lanes? been pretty quiet the last day or so............... too windy for us. love to hear any reports, chinook or otherwise. Xena

If you want to target Coho you don’t have to go out to the Shipping Lanes. 200 to 400 feet of water depth should produce a fair number. We are catching them as incidental catch in closer when looking for Chinook. There are still lots of them around although not as many as early/mid July when you could catch one every 5 minutes. The good news is that some of them are bigger now and we managed a 7 and a 9 lb clipped and someone at the dock had an 11lber.

45'-degrees with a 13-pound pancake? I'd be checking my speed.

Be careful out there in a 16-foot tinner.

Good luck!

Thanks guy for advise.

Hi Reelfast, Thank you for your tip about coho killer.

Well Let me try with 7 feet leader for bait on the green glow teaser beside the flasher.

What is about the spoon? coyote spoon 4.0 " or 5.0" with 60" leader beside the flasher?

My assume that the 13 lbs pancake weight is more down than the 10 lbs cannon ball because we trolled too fast. The mature springs are very fussy and slow.

Tomorrow early morning, my friends and I will go to fishing around 530 am. We will try 30' to 70' In late morning around 9 am we will try 45' to 80'

Will successful to catch some big springs?

Last middle of July, We fished at church rock we caught some wild cohos and no hatchery coho. We released all wild cohos.

Thank you for your feedbacok.

cheers
Discus.

Salmon fishing is strange. I think of it more like hunting. You will i,prove your sucess with good electrionics and a knowledge of how to use them.

I have been out many times and got 3-4 springs down 100ft at 6am. Dont let yourself get set on one specific thing or else you might miss them alltogether!

Discus,

Here are a few things that will help increase your salmon take

1) Tide/current change is the most important thing to consider when fishing. Are the fish migrating toward their natal streams? ( flood tide ) or feeding? ( tide change ).Think about where the Salmon are going, and what their doing ( feeding or resting )

2) Don't fish bait if your new to salmon fishing. Lots of people will disagree with this, but if you have ever done a bait check and found bare hooks, a mangled anchovie, or bait with a sub prime roll, you would have been better off fishing a spoon. A spoon will have the correct action, all the time every time. Tie a spoon on a 6ft leader. Go to bait after you catch a few, and only if you want.

3) Pay attention, to your sounder. Salmon cant look down, only up, and they have no eyelids. ( the brighter it is the deeper they go ) Put you lure 5 to 10 feet above where you are marking the fish on your sounder.

4) Forget about all the other colors except green and white for Springs, pink/red for pinks&Sockeye. Don't worry about the Coho if they are around they will bite on anything during a feed, the action is the most important thing.

5) Fish where the fish are. Sounds simple but alot of people don't get this , you will hear stick and stay make it pay.. bad advice. If you go through 1 tide change and dont get any action go somewhere else.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Rich

I love the internet.....

forum

All i can say is WOW!!!!its amazing i even get fish with that advice some I agree but mostly not...but hey what ever works

Got 2 springs at high noon yesterday at 45 ft down on rigger in 100 ft of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back