Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Nice fish Lippy,the boys are making it look like a tyeee! Just a little curious.. were those pants from 1982 your's? :confused:

Nice work Lippy!

Does anyone know if there is a derby going on this up coming weekend?

Fished from 9:30-3 today for 1 25 lb red and 3 coho. The spring was out in the deep--350 ft of water midway between the head and the shack. We went down as far as PP but by then it was too gnarly so we went back to the Head with
the flood and lost a nice one to a broken hook.
T2

Good job Sammyslabber. You and some other folks have been doing real well.

Thanx for the nod Engman.
Actually, out of the block fishing was slow for us... it wasn't till much later,on the home stretch that we found some decent action.

Sat was a one hit wonder! If at first you don't succeed...

Fished Becher Bay today, fair number of boats in the bay as fog/wind off the head. Slow, two hits all day, 1 wild coho and 12lb spring around W. Bedford. The cleaning table at Cheanuh looked barely used.

There is fish around but at weird depths one minite they are up shallow next you dont get anything zip it down past 100 ft and find them again???? very weird Friday was awesome sat a bit slower sunday good again SHALLOW for me but then yesterday slow again still able to scratch up a few butdefinatlly have to work at it. hopefully more fish move in fingers crossed. hope it isnt a repeat of the summer of 08 in august...

wolf

Summer of 08 was bad hey? Makes sense the summer of 2012 would be slow too. The American fish are saving the season for sure. I guess I should make other plans for 2016 too DFO, rec sector and natives will do nothing to help these fish.

If you were fishing tomorrow and it was your last day before you leave the area for 3 weeks, where would you go????

muir morning otter afternoon

Awsome, will do, il post back tomorrow night with the results! I was planning on running bait, gold betsey setup and silver betsey other side, whats everyones leader lengths lately? I have 5' wasnt sure if thats been working for people....cheers!!!

Last year was a banner year for me springs every trip but one and that was a Morning trip on a full moon the Sunday of the bite me derby. I had limit catches on most august trips without working too hard.

This year hasn't been too bad for me either but almost all my springs were hatcherys that's why I feel the American runs (springs and ho's) are saving the season... for me at least.

This has been my best spring fishing in the sooke area to date. I don't have much to compare it too but I know I put in my time last summer and was not finding them. The new boat and lots of new knowledge has been key. Confidence helps too. If your second guessing things all the time, switching gear, depths, etc, not gonna help. OR maybe I've picked up some tips watching Dylan @ Nice Fish JR. That kids rules!

My friends and I are heading to fishing today. We will be fishing from Shack Traps to secretary.

Cheers
D

We went out on Aug 7th with a Guide in the afternoon for a 4hr trip. 3 Adult and 2 Kids. The wind picked up and we were not sure how long we could stay out there, but we made it almost the 4hrs.
Spring.jpg
We caught 3 Spring (this one is white), 3 Hatchery Coho and one pink
On the way before heading in we had another 'big' one on line, but lost it due to our inexperience (Angler didn't keep the line tight :) )
By then we were the only boat out there and the boat moved heavy in the waves.

Was a great afternoon.

Michael

Good catch Michael. Beats anything I have had this year!! Good thing you guys were strong sailors, by the sound of it....

Today, my friends and I went to fishing from Beech Head to Secretary Island. We had no luck to catch any springs but We released 5 small coho , we fished from 6 am to noon. It was a lovely day!

Back