Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

All good Holmes..... I am completely empathetic to charters.... Looking to get hooked up for some last minute hali this weekend but unlikely as I already have to much planned.... Maybe next year we can can have a two hali limit until they close it in June...

Was out at otter on Sunday am managed a couple springs one 14 and the other a 20lb white spring very tasty. added a couple pinks and had a good day.

Here goes..Gear in at 7 15am off Otter Pt; first pass hit a 20lber off second rock, 10lb hatch coho just after and a 19lb spring off the stump on the beach just past Third Rock on the turn. Springs were caught at 50ft green on green; coho on a naked whole herring top rod.Thinking it is going to be an awesome day and mid way through playing the last spring the kicker loses idle cntrol and dies. Tell the old man it's time to get closer to home and we go down off the Harbour Mouth....We pull plugs, look at oil, ect.; get the kicker going and it loses idle control again. We start fishing off the big motor and a rod drifts by with the foam cork going floating by us; we spin around and pick it up. If you tell me what kind it is than it will be yours again. Saw 2 springs picked up in the fog on the 60ft line and nothing for us; pulled gear around 1130am. Still seeing a good mix of fish for Sept 2 with some biggies still to come, good luck!!

ATTN ROCKFISH- Tried to send you a PM, don't think it went through. If you need a hand we can do it on Sun.; would look forward to it. Send me a PM or contact me at 250 590 7528 >>--->

You're not talking about the "reel blue wolf" are you Justin? lmao "Reel" nice spelling by the way Luna! And oh ya... sorry to hear about the kicker bro...

No Pack, It was my guests behind me watching dewey in diselief, one was hanging over the side puking.. lol. I think Roy saw the show, LMAO that was great! We have to do a dewey trip reeeeeel soon. Hali fishing should be on fire on the 6th.

Came on last night after the whales went through. Harbour mouth to the point, plastic was the ticket last night. Great time of year to try something different.

Haven't been our for awhile but I'm taking out some friends from Alberta tomorrow. How was fishing today?
T2

Still good fishing, landed 6 springs to 22 pounds and lost 4 more for 10 hours of fishing. Got rough from the east around noon, then backed off to almost flat calm by 4pm and became a beauty afternoon.

Congrats High Five! Well done. You missed a beautiful day on the water today - one of those very few days when it is actually too hot on the water. Dewaar and me were baking and begging for a breeze! Fishing was kind of slow for us today - we seemed to be at the wrong place at the wrong time today. After a couple of pinks at Otter in the morning we hit a little spring at Muir mid morning and then a few more pinks out of the harbour. Bait stealers - tiny coho - took all our bait until we could reload on a herring ball. Froze about 350 pieces tonight. Should last me over the winter!
The Jalopy with victoriaboater lit it up at Otter today though. He was doing something right I guess....

Out this afternoon with a good buddy and his 3 boys ages 6,9,12. Not as much action as I was hoping for but we got them into some fish and a beaut of a day on the water. Stayed out until the sun was gone. So glassy out there. We got a nice 10lb sockeye and a few pinks. Lost many with the kids on the rods. Also lost a fish at the boat with mr sealion stealing our fish. Then he came up beside us basically looking at us wondering if we had more for him. What a jerk!

Congrats High Five! Well done. You missed a beautiful day on the water today - one of those very few days when it is actually too hot on the water. Dewaar and me were baking and begging for a breeze! Fishing was kind of slow for us today - we seemed to be at the wrong place at the wrong time today. After a couple of pinks at Otter in the morning we hit a little spring at Muir mid morning and then a few more pinks out of the harbour. Bait stealers - tiny coho - took all our bait until we could reload on a herring ball. Froze about 350 pieces tonight. Should last me over the winter!
The Jalopy with victoriaboater lit it up at Otter today though. He was doing something right I guess....

How do you catch 350 herring in a bait ball? Special net? How do you find them?

We scoop them all the time.. just look for seagulls in a feeding frenzy in a big group, the diving birds are underneath pushing the bait balls up... approach the feeding seagulls, aim the boat towards the active feeding seagulls with their asses in the air.. is where the school of bait will be exactly.. as you get closer you will see the dark ball of bait on the surface and come up right beside it tight with the boat, second guy has the dip net ready and sends it in the water into the tight school of bait.. ! your net some times will be full! the driver of the boat has to slam it in reverse immediately or else the net is so heavy it will be ripped right out of the hands. We have a dip net with small mesh that works well for this.. we have broke the handle on it many times from lifting it full of herring..
We have used our salmon net also, take all your garbage and toss it into the net, add what ever you have, some bags, plastic and foam from the bait packs.. any thing.. it all sits at the bottom of the net to clog the large mesh holes... do a scoop and lift it in the boat as fast as you can before they get out.. the garbage in the net is enough to keep lots in the net still... keep your eyes open for active seagulls feeding tight together...

Last edited by a moderator:
got out yesterday , on uncles boat... no springs, lots of pinks and 1 soc for dinner. i will have to say, what an awesome day on the water.. i have been missing this..

Beauty day, maybe a slight breeze would have made it perfect as it was hot by mid afternoon. Still some springs around, most are teens and even down around 10 pounds. All mature fish, some appear to be local fish others are passing through. Most of the females that are passing by still are not that ripe for this time of the year. Could mean a good September run for springs. We even found a couple of 15 pound coho yesterday...one was clipped and it topped our catch as the largest of our 4 springs was only 14 pounds.

Yeah I agree im thinking unless we get another push of springs(hopefully whites) our big nookies are done :( but getting quite a few nice coho so thats promisingnice to get some hatch teens as well yesterday pleasant surprise...
Wolf

heading up there this week with my girlfriend, anyone willing to take us out? Would do the same for you when you make it to Vancouver??

How do you catch 350 herring in a bait ball? Special net? How do you find them?

Dave, I have a fine mesh knotless catch and release friendly net that lends itself perfectly for scooping ot bait. It's very gentle with the fish in case I have to release it (though I usually find out with the fish beside my boat if to be released or not) but it's a pain for getting hooks out of it after you netted a fish. Not sure where I got it but I like it for it's ability to scoop bait. The herring ball we got on Sun was a very small one but we got it basically all. Some are a bit small - 3.5-4" but the majority is perfect size for anchovie teaser heads. They are just a bit tougher to get to roll nice.

Back