Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

This morning started alright, put a 18 1/2 in the tub on the 2nd pass. Saw another fish landed at the same time, then nothing all morning. After the change I gave up and moved. Stayed 1 hour overtime and it payed off. A double 23 and 20 pounds, then lost another as we were pulling up the gear to head home. The whales yesterday must have chased the crap out of them. Should be better tomorrow if the whales don't come back again.

FINALLY!

Today we trolled in the Secretary Island area and finally managed my first summer Chinook .......a super 18lb'er.!!!

No big deal for the experts on this blog, but huge for me. Or to put it another way “A tiny, insignificant, routine step for the the Sooke forum experts, a giant leap for Englishman”. (With apologies to Neil Armstrong :cool:

I owe a big debt of thanks to Sammyslabber, Charlie, JuandeSooka and Holmes for all their advice, information , tips and encouragement I have received on this forum and privately. It has all been terrific and very valuable to me.

And to top it off we (my wife and I) got 7 pinks. Great day, great day…….

Congrats Englishman perseverance pays off... another one to tick off the bucket list.It may be the 1st one that puts you on a run surely there will be more to come.Thanx for the nod it's been a real pleasure to hear about this special day in the life of a fisherman...sammy

Engishman, its about what the fish means to you, not what it means to others. Way to go on your trophy fish!! Nice to get the nerves all a jitter and heart pounding isn't it?

Way to go hey thats a prize too if its your first one if you got a 30 right off the get go you wouldnt have anything to strive for good job.

Back on the water today for a fish with "the movie guy" lots and laughs and fun got 1 and seal got the other but still a fun day.

Good luck Wolf

Out today from 7 am to 3 pm. Fished trap most of the day...pick up a 23lb at 930 and then a 24lb at 2 pm. No real bite to speak of just a fish here and a fish there. Lots of pinks (we kept two) and one sockeye that went back. Both fish were at about 80 feet one on purple haze and the other on gold betsy. I should be out again tomorrow if the wind cooperates.

Way to go englishman, hey you run out of bait try the small baitric,fish are hot on it 16, to 29 lb last week in sooke. Good luck boomer

Thanks a lot Sammyslabber and the rest of you guys!

RK - yes indeed it was a nervous jitter for me. Played the fish on a fairly old wood and brass Peetz reel I picked up in a garage sale. I had to sit down afterwards!!

Boomer - I have heard or those baitrix lures and I think I even have a couple of small ones at bottom of my gear somewhere. Pinks sure do use up the bait...but it's not all bad. LOL

Damn Nice Work Englishman! Its always good to get the first one out of the way!

Im taking a few friends out tomorrow if anyones out. Will be running the gear so there will be noobs at the helm, so be alert of the out of control 27 monaro haha.

I will have the ears on channel 68 by 9:30am...

Mike

yes indeed it was a nervous jitter for me. Played the fish on a fairly old wood and brass Peetz reel I picked up in a garage sale. I had to sit down afterwards!!

Sweetness right there.... A few guys might not know the feeling.

Its like fishing and having a couple beer..... once you break the seal you'll be pizzin every 5 minutes

free-party-smileys-770.gif
To the first.... All down hill (easy riding) from here

Congrats. Englishman and especially on doing it the old school (hard way) on an old wood Peetz. There is nothing like that shaky adrenaline feeling after a good battle, the beast is in the boat and the seals are sulking.

The best fishing for the big ones off Sooke is still to come in Fogust with the arrival of the bulk of the Harrision fatties. A fair number of those will be in the 30’s. Don’t forget the first two weeks of Oct. - Sooke was amazing for big coho and chums last year. I have no doubt we will being hearing about more summer Chinook from you in the next couple of months with your efforts to learn and the time you are putting in; no one deserves it more. When it starts to come together, it happens fast. Your first double header with the big ones is waiting for you - give the wife the one on the Peetz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on the congrats English! Been a while since I've had the pleasure. Now you, too, know why so many of us covet and fight to protect and preserve our right to do this.

Yee-ha! Giver!

Small strip purplehase head,blue strip or chartreuse ,many springs this year on this, flasher purple onion .
Goodluck Boomer

out at otter 3rd rock last night in the wind. picked up two springs both around 20 lbs. 55 feet and 70 feet on 8 pack chovy...wow those pinks sure are big..

Wind was ugly today but I stuck it out for 6 hours and it paid off. 4 springs, a ton of pinks and 3 coho all in beechy bay. 25 to 45 feet down in 90 to 130 feet of water.

I will be out there again tomorrow late morning if anyones about. Hopefully the wind is a little better!

And yes I get to the water late as I have to wake up at 3am to bake at my coffee shop before I get to escape to the water!!! ;)

Mike

Nice job Englishman. One great thing is that no matter how many more you catch from now on, the memory of that first one will always be there long after you have forgotten the rest. Good on ya!

Back